PDA

View Full Version : Improper Installation ?

Garry Blankenship
08-04-2012, 11:41 AM
So my neighbers are s-l-o-w-l-y replacing their deck and the new design incorporates a mid-level landing off the main deck. My concern is the pre-cut stair jacks connecting main deck to landing. I'm thinkin those stair jacks are designed to have the lower portion, ( bottom ), of the jacks sitting on support. As installed, the extreme end is fitted into framing brackets. Looking at this it appears that the wood grain will just snap off in front of the bracket when under load. Opinions ?

John Kogel
08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
They need professional help.

Jerry Peck
08-04-2012, 02:25 PM
So my neighbers are s-l-o-w-l-y replacing their deck and the new design incorporates a mid-level landing off the main deck.

Permitted? Nope.

The need professional help for more than just those stair stringers.

Joseph Ehrhardt
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Strike 3 for proffesional help... this is what I love about how construction has changed, they have to water down the trade so that even stair stringers are pre cut so people like this can scratch their head and azzes at the same time...there has to be a decent carpenter out of work or slow in this economy up there in Monroe that can layout and make a code compliant set of stairs, your so right that grain will split.Keep us posted if they get a CO on this old house project.

Harold Doughty
08-06-2012, 06:06 AM
It's crazy what some people will do without proper knowledge. Tell your neighbors that there are plenty of FREE deck design programs out there that will give them a proper design if they really want to do it themselves instead of hirering a decent carpenter.

Stuart Brooks
08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
I sometimes think that cutting stringers and installing steps has become a lost art even among the trade "professionals".

Ken Schaumann
08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
That is comedy. It's amazing they got as far as building the deck and the landing and even gutting the stairs, but can't figure out how to make the connection. But then again, who knows what the deck looks like. Too bad they didn't hire a carpenter to start with.

Jeff Johnson
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Someone is going to get hurt or killed.

Richard Skalski
09-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Liability issues usually change their minds. I would not let my children walk down them.

Robert Foster
10-01-2012, 05:48 AM
I sometimes think that cutting stringers and installing steps has become a lost art even among the trade "professionals".

I couldn't agree more...it's reach epidemic proportions around here.

Lon Henderson
10-01-2012, 06:42 AM
The good and bad news.........the bad news is that the stringer will likely break while they are working on it.

The good news is that if you have your video camera going, you may have an entry for stupid human tricks.