PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Ladder

dan orourke
09-15-2007, 09:08 AM

Chad Fabry
09-15-2007, 09:50 AM
They work better than horizontal ladders.

wayne soper
09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Ladder access is allowed to storage areas only. The safety issue would be if proper barriers werre installed at the top.

wayne soper
09-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Local codes may vary. May depend on the year built as it would be grandfathered. I would point out the hazards and the limitations of use and recommend consulting with local code enforcement as to OK or not OK.
Definately a NO GO on a bedroom up there, Or below if the furnace is not enclosed, with outside air for combustion. The 70's were real big on lofts and ladders to "HIGH" places. Whats the year of the home?

BARRY ADAIR
09-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Dan,

I would use this

OSHA Stairways & Ladder Safety (http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/programs/gen_saf/OSHA_stair&lad_saf.html)

BARRY ADAIR
09-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Due to the potential for unknown construction techniques, fasteners and material conditions I never use these during an inspection. If I can't get my equipment to access locations they are inaccessible and reported as such.

Work and arrive home safely :D

Richard Rushing
09-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Boy, I'm with you on that one Barry...

I do not use the wooden/vertical ladders. I use my ladder to enter or none at all.

Most municipalities no longer allow the wood ladders, wood decked storage areas-- they are mostly requiring metal structured with a designed weight rating.

One thing comes to mind here with the vertical wooden ladders... can most women climb these safely? My answer would have to be no!

rr

Richard Rushing
09-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Fritz,

A couple of things come to mind...
1) The laddes are not installed for the HI or linemen. They are installed for the use by employees to access these area of the building. If they cannot effectively and safely access these without the possibility of exceeding physical capabilities (think secretary, shipping clerk, etc...) they are a liability that should not be used. As far as someone taking exception to common sense, then so be it.
2). The ladder in the photo posted is of a *WOOD*/ stick-built ladder. So that part did not take any inspector Kluso to identify that part of it...
3) No assumption was make about the gender of florists as a group. But those that *ARE* female must have equally safe access to stored items. Usually, those lofts are used as storage.

Again, it is a common sense concern not some hair-brained notion of gender discriminatory remark. :cool: :mad:

Richard Rushing
09-16-2007, 11:19 AM
They work better than horizontal ladders.

A lidttle common sense applied to decypher the (obviously) encripted message by Chad would have identified that post to be absolutely useful and probably the most accurate posted so far.

The only thing you can say about he VERTICAL ladder in that picture is that it works better than a HORIZONTAL-type.:D

Jerry Peck
09-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Are vertical ladders allowed in either residential

No, except Emergency Escape and Rescue window wells 1026.5.

or commercial buildings? If so, what are there requirements? (This is a commercial building - flower shop!)

Yes, under special conditions:
- In 502, EQUIPMENT PLATFORM. An unoccupied, elevated platform

used exclusively for mechanical systems or industrial
process equipment, including the associated elevated walkways,
stairs and ladders necessary to access the platform (see
Section 505.5).
- 1015.3 Boiler, incinerator and furnace rooms
- 1015.4 Refrigeration machinery rooms
- 1015.6 Stage means of egress
- 1019.2 Helstops
- and some others

One of which may apply (505.5) - HOWEVER, that ladder does not look like it would meet any requirements for ladders.

Billy Stephens
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Clay,

Is the ladder Permanently Attached?

Rick Hurst
10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
As a kid growing up the home we lived in had a "vertical" ladder mounted directly to the drywall.

It was great when we weighed 55 lbs. but now I'd pull that thing directly off the wall trying to crawl up it. As Richard Rushing said when I see these type of ladders I still use my own personal ladder to gain access into the attic space.

What I hate more than anything is going up a ceiling mounted pull down ladder and then when you ready to come back down, the lower section has popped up and is not in contact with the ground due to the tension springs being to tight. Having to stand on the ladder and trying to get it back in the down position is a biotch sometimes.

rick

Jim Luttrall
10-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I love it when standing on the pull down stairs and find out bubba used those brittle drywall screws in about half the required locations! I have this vision of it sheering off and folding me up in it just about the time I hit the floor.:eek: I won't even attempt to climb those homemade ladders though.

Jim Luttrall
10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
It was great when we weighed 55 lbs

It has been so long since I saw 55 or even 155 lbs, I forgot what it looks like.:D

Rick Hurst
10-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Jim,

One of our best friends had an attic ladder completely collapse from a ceiling while retriving the Christmas stuff from her attic.

She broke both knee caps and was down for quite some time before anyone found her. Believe it or not, her own homeowners insurance paid for all of her hospital expenses.

Know what you mean about the wood screws, but I've seen worse. Standing on one once and noticed all they had used was finishing staples. That that will get you moving quick.

rick

Nolan Kienitz
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Rick, Jim ...

Or ... suck in some air and "hold your breath" ... as if that will make me "lighter" ... :D

Well now ... I know that it does ... a belly or chest full of 'hot air' just HAS to "weigh less" !!!! ;)

I've been on about six attic access stairs in the past two weeks ... all of them were "cut too long" .... backward bending at the middle hinge point and then you see the cracks in the legs and you being to say a prayer and "get light" ...

Richard Rushing
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Thinking about it now... most women I had helped, could get up those vertical ladders.

One ole girl would just throuw her boobies over another rung and climb on up. Of course, I had to provide some assistanace from the back side to help her up.;) Damn where did those days go?:confused: