View Full Version : Metal wall siding

dan orourke
09-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Jerry Peck
09-16-2007, 11:42 AM
J channel is what I've always seen there (at least that's what I remember, but the more I think about it, the more I remember seeing some with a 'Z' flashing also - so now I'm totally confused , but that happens occasionally ).

The back of the 'J' (the tall leg) goes up the wall, that's the 'wall flashing', the bottom of the 'J' diverts the water out from the siding, the upturned leg of the 'J' serves as a 'gutter' and directs rain to both sides of the opening.

I'll have to see if I have anything which states otherwise.

Added with edit: Now I remember, I've seen the 'J' channel over openings like those shown in your first photo (where there is little concern over water entering - it's open below), and the 'Z' flashing over windows and doors (where there is a concern over water entering).