PDA

View Full Version : Firewall,

S. Bauer
08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I if there is 14" between wall of your structure and an adjoining structure can you hear noise through the walls?

Trent Tarter
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Since your renting it there's not much you can do besides move. You could ask for permission to open up the wall to see if there is actullay 14" of space between walls, and to see if it's insulated.

Rick Cantrell
08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I if there is 14" between wall of your structure and an adjoining structure can you hear noise through the walls?

When my neighbor had a party I could hear it 2 houses away.
Does that answer your question?

S. Bauer
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
But what about building codes? CA building codes must have something about keeping a 2 hour or 1 hour fire barrier between buildings.

Jerry Peck
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Depends on various things, such as:
- how the wall is made
- what the wall is made of
- the type and amount of insulation
- windows present - single pane or double glazed
- how loud the noise is at its source
- how loud is it inside
- etc.

The wall of my house is 15 feet from the property line and I can hear the neighbors when they have a party at their pool on the other side of the property line, and they are on the other side of the pool, so they are probably 30 feet away. I can hear them, but it is muffled and not loud, but I can hear them - so it also depends on how loud are you referring to.

Jim Luttrall
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
But what about building codes? CA building codes must have something about keeping a 2 hour or 1 hour fire barrier between buildings.

You really need to ask specific questions and give some details to get a reasonable answer.
What kind of structure; house, apartment, condo, duplex,...?
Frame construction or masonry?
etc., etc.

No code that I am aware of specifically addressed noise.

Jerry Peck
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
No code that I am aware of specifically addressed noise.

1207 of the IBC addresses sound, both air-borne sound and structure-borne sound. An design STC of 50 is required (STC = Sound Transmission Class) - a STC of 45 if field tested is permissible.

However, the above does not apply to sound from *outside* the building through the exterior walls.
- 1207.1 Scope. This section shall apply to common interior walls, partitions and floor/ceiling assemblies between adjacent dwelling units or between dwelling units and adjacent public areas such as halls, corridors, stairs or service areas.

Robert Ernst
08-20-2012, 07:18 PM
San Francisco is loaded with houses that are 1" apart. If there is just air between the two sound can travel through air. Maybe pull a plug cover and see if you can see anything. You could use a wood skewer or something non conductive to see if there is insulation or wall in between the two.

Garry Sorrells
08-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Santhi,
For noise from adjacent structures be it 14" or 14 ft it is a determination made by the police officer that responds to your call. Different locals have their own acceptable level of noise along with the time of day and that level is usual determined by the officer that responds to the complaint.