PDA

View Full Version : Hand Me Another Piece of Wood

Nick Ostrowski
08-25-2012, 04:07 AM
"What size do you need and what do you need it cut to?"

"None of that matters. Just give me whatever we have".

Billy Stephens
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Nick,

Could the cooper cable coming thru the sheathing be considered a Lighting Arrester?
If so it's not a good idea inside the dwelling and would be safer routed to the exterior.

Jerry Peck
08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Nick,

Could the cooper cable coming thru the sheathing be considered a Lighting Arrester?
If so it's not allowed inside and must be routed to the exterior.

That is what it looks like, the down conductor for a lighting rod system.

Nick Ostrowski
08-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, lightning rod system. It was all over the roof.

Jack Feldmann
08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Ahhhh......board stretchers!!!!!

Billy Stephens
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, lightning rod system. It was all over the roof.
Who in Their right mind would Invite Lighting into the home ? :eek:
.40 Truly EPIC Lightning Strikes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qISi5SpfylA&feature=related)

Chris Weekly
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
"What size do you need and what do you need it cut to?"

"None of that matters. Just give me whatever we have".

Hhahahah. Nick - Good description of the way the this came together by 'tres bozos framing'

BridgeMan
08-26-2012, 07:58 PM
The reason is simple--framers were getting paid by the ounce of wood in place.

Mike Schulz
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I have only seen a couple of lighting rod systems installed in new construction and they where installed through the attic. Just curious Billy is it code you can't run the wire in the attic? Facts You Should Know About Home Lightning Protection - The Fun Times Guide to Home Building (http://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/04/home_lightning_protection.php)

Billy Stephens
08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I have only seen a couple of lighting rod systems installed in new construction and they where installed through the attic. Just curious Billy is it code you can't run the wire in the attic? Facts You Should Know About Home Lightning Protection - The Fun Times Guide to Home Building (http://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/04/home_lightning_protection.php)
Code can't fix Stoopid. :D Smoking in bed, drinking to extreme, Making The Wife Angry :eek:!
* all the Manufactures Installation instructions I've seen are routed to the exterior.
** once lighting enters the dwelling the path or paths to ground are far from certain, fire hazard at best , risk to life & limb worst case.

Jerry Peck
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
While it is not the smartest idea to intentionally bring a lightning strike and its 'poof' of current into a structure, it is allowed.

The conductors are permitted to be coursed under roofing materials (but does the roofing material allow that?), the conductor is permitted to be under roof framing and behind exterior wall cladding or between wall studs, with or without a conduit chase.

However, there are other concerns shown in that photo, such as:
- The air terminal is located in the wrong place, it should be on the higher ridge and within 2 feet of the ends of the higher ridge.
- The air terminal tip is to be not less than 10 inches above the roof/object it is protecting. With that air terminal down off the lower hip ridge like it is, I doubt the tip is even 10 inches above the higher ridge.
- That air terminal base which the main conductor is connected to does not look suitable supported to prevent overturning or displacement. That air terminal looks to just have been 'poked through' the roof decking and then maybe - maybe not even - just flashed in place, no brace or other anchoring to it.
- The main conductor then becomes the down conductor once it heads down, and it is not allowed to have any 'V' or 'U' in it as it needs to go continuously down (which is why it is called the down conductor - it takes the lightning strike 'down' to the electrode which is in the ground.

Not much else I can tell you about it from that limited area photo.

Billy Stephens
08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
While it is not the smartest idea to intentionally bring a lightning strike and its 'poof' of current into a structure, it is allowed.

Nick,

If so it's not a good idea inside the dwelling and would be safer routed to the exterior.
Revised from Not Allowed.
* just like Passed out Drunk on the Couch or in Bed with a lite Smoke is Allowed.

Franz Bailey
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I realize this is an old thread but were those truss connector plates, on the left unit, cut and modified or was that a factory design for the kING rafter?

Ray Thornburg
09-21-2012, 05:57 AM
They didn't ship enough trusses for the job. The truss with the peak should have been slid over to line up with the hip and they should have shipped one more to accommodate sheathing requirements. Contrary to popular belief engineers do make mistakes.....

Randy Aldering
09-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Who in Their right mind would Invite Lighting into the home ? :eek:
.40 Truly EPIC Lightning Strikes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qISi5SpfylA&feature=related)

Exactly; my understanding is that all conductors of such systems are required to be on the exterior of the home. Also, the bare conductor in question appears to be simple twisted cable, not the braided cable that is typical of a lightning protection system.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Exactly; my understanding is that all conductors of such systems are required to be on the exterior of the home.

Based on what I found, the lightning conductors are not required to be on the exterior of the building, they are allowed to be inside the building framing:

"The conductors are permitted to be coursed under roofing materials (but does the roofing material allow that?), the conductor is permitted to be under roof framing and behind exterior wall cladding or between wall studs, with or without a conduit chase."

Also, the bare conductor in question appears to be simple twisted cable, not the braided cable that is typical of a lightning protection system.

That twisted conductor is similar to many of the lightning conductors I have seen. I have not found a requirement for the lightning conductors to be braided.

BridgeMan
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
They didn't ship enough trusses for the job. The truss with the peak should have been slid over to line up with the hip and they should have shipped one more to accommodate sheathing requirements. Contrary to popular belief engineers do make mistakes.....

Along with home inspectors, shipping clerks, loading dock foremen, architects, doctors, lawyers, etc., etc., etc.

Rich Goeken
09-22-2012, 06:12 AM

Is THAT why the pencils engineers use have erasers on both ends? :confused: