PDA

View Full Version : Vermiculite Insulation

Dave Gilstrap
08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I ran across a home today that was built in the 20's that had vermiculite insulation. I have heard of it but have never seen it before. I have heard it is a no no but do not know why. The home also had live knob and tube wiring covered with the vermiculite. Sorry the photos I took did not turn out. Why is vermiculite bad?

Billy Stephens
08-27-2012, 07:08 PM
I ran across a home today that was built in the 20's that had vermiculite insulation. I have heard of it but have never seen it before. I have heard it is a no no but do not know why. The home also had live knob and tube wiring covered with the vermiculite. Sorry the photos I took did not turn out. Why is vermiculite bad?
Vermiculite | Asbestos | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/verm.html)

K&T should not be covered ( known fraying of wire covering is a Fire Hazard. )

Dave Gilstrap
08-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the link Billy.

Nick Ostrowski
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Vermiculite covering K&T. A double whammy!

Jerry Peck
08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Vermiculite covering K&T. A double whammy!

But at least the asbestos will help keep the heat contained to the knob and tube and not let it spread to the rest of the house. (Just kidding! :eek: )

Ernie Simpson
08-28-2012, 08:06 PM
The problem with vermiculite is that, while most samples do not show asbestos (I know a tester who took samples from 15 homes and none showed evidence of asbestos) the next sample could have it. It was widely scattered (and supposedly in just one of the two mines in Libby Montana.
While I think I will broach the removal option more, I'm still of the opinion that IF the material is an area where it will never be disturbed AND IF can be covered with more insulatiion (usually needed) then removal may not be warranted. Actually, maybe I'll just refer the client to the EPA web site and let them proceed from there.
By the way, I poured bags of the Zonolite (vermiculite) insulation into the attic of my first home. Maybe that's why my lungs are shot.

As an added note: I just a client who owns a lot of commercial and multi-family real estate. His comment was that the next 'shoe to fall' on environmental hazards will be fiberglass. This probably needs it own discussion topic...

Eric Barker
08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
For attics I advise the client to leave it alone. In fireplaces I recommend that it be removed according to EPA guidelines and skip the testing.

John Kogel
08-29-2012, 04:23 PM
So what do you do with a whole sack of the stuff?
I know. Take it to the lab! :D

Billy Stephens
08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
So what do you do with a whole sack of the stuff?