PDA

View Full Version : ledger board

Jose Quinones
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Rebuilding deck. ledger board installed over siding. Think that I can remove ledger board to remove siding. Q

uestion.... Can shim be installed to make up for the thickness that will be between sill and ledger board

wayne soper
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
depends on how it's supported. Take some pics.
Making some blocking from PVC or composite decking would be a better idea than wood shims.

Chris McIntyre
09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Vinyl or wood siding? If vinyl and assuming the ledger is attached properly it may be easier to cut the siding, install flashing and J channel without removing the ledger.

Garry Blankenship
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
You probably know the ledger should not be on top of the siding. That aside; is it structurally sound ?, ( attached w/ lag bolts ~ not nailed ), is it flashed so water cannot be trapped behind it ?, and is it treated / OK for outdoor use ? I like the suggestion that any shims should be of material that will not rot, ( easily ).

Randy Rogers
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Rebuilding deck. ledger board installed over siding. Think that I can remove ledger board to remove siding. Q

uestion.... Can shim be installed to make up for the thickness that will be between sill and ledger board

How high off the ground is the deck? Can you get access to use a couple lateral load connectors? We are being held to the following:

"The lateral load connection required by Section R502.2.2 shall be permitted to be in accordance with Figure R502.2.2.3. Hold-down tension devices shall be provided in not less than two locations per deck, and each device shall have an allowable stress capacity of not less than 1500 lbs.
IRC 2009 Section R502.2.2.3"

BridgeMan
09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I've long been a promoter of using short, inert shim stock blocks, 1/2" thick of so, between the house and ledger. The "breathing space" results in the ledger not rotting as quickly as it would if tight against the house. In certain climate zones, even the best flashing job won't completely eliminate ledger rot.