PDA

View Full Version : PEX on the ground

Jeffrey L. Mathis
09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I've researched around a bit and can't get a clear answer about running PEX on the ground. I found it in an addition to a house. No leaking, but the lines were run across the addition and under the HVAC ducts teeing off on the ground. Even had some bricks on them. I don't like it and wrote it up with the qualifier that it is more my opinion that fact. I'd include a picture but I never learned how.

JLMathis

Garry Blankenship
09-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I do not know if PEX is U/L listed for U/G use, but I saw a plumber recently use it for the water meter to house U/G service entrance, ( 1" ). He felt PEX was the best thing ever invented next to the wheel. Called it bullit proof.

Trent Tarter
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Majority of the newer construction I see has PEX for the incoming underground water supply line. Usually it's blue pipe or some other type that's tougher and designed to be burried blow ground.

Scott Patterson
09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
PEX can go underground, actually it is sunlight that is its enemy. PEX also needs proper support, as with any plumbing line it should never be laying on the ground. Common sence should tell you that if you find bricks on top of any plumbing line that it is a problem.

Billy Stephens
09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd include a picture but I never learned how.
JLMathis

Look on the left side of page in the Blue border Message Board and hover over it, select How to Post a Message, scroll down to Tip. 5 : Uploading and / or deleting Photos.

Matt Kiefer
09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
PEX can go underground, actually it is sunlight that is its enemy. PEX also needs proper support, as with any plumbing line it should never be laying on the ground. Common sence should tell you that if you find bricks on top of any plumbing line that it is a problem.

Agreed. I always recommend proper mounting of plumbing lines off of the ground. I came across CSST gas lines simply running from the furnace along the ground through a utility closet and wrote up that it should be properly mounted and attached to the joists.