PDA

View Full Version : Main Service Entrance Panel

Tom Payne
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
This is the Main Service Entrance Panel, not a sub-panel, in a new construction and we see a few issues. Can I get a double check on this as the General Contractor claims it has been inspected by the county and power company.

Please see attached picture.

What we see:
A) Neutral from house has no return to Utility Company.
B) Main Panel is not grounded.
C) No Neutral connection point for Farm Panel Breakers (not installed) Which feed the pump house and garage.

Opinions please.

Thanks!
Tom

Jerry Peck
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
First, I don't see any submarine there, so how can there be a sub panel?

Second, I don't see any ... ANY ... service from the utility, no phase conductors, no neutral, no nothing. Am I just missing it, or has the utility not yet run their service lateral?

Yes, there are other problems, like the neutral from the loadcenter panel being bonded to the enclosure (ground).

Bruce Breedlove
09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
It looks like the panel is sitting on the ground with soil backfilled against it. That can't be good.

Tom Payne
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Sorry Jerry, I should have been more specific about this being a new, under construction. Out buildings are not even constructed yet, but power should be pulled to the main soon. Since the homeowner is not on site, or even in state, they had concerns about the work being done. And since the general contractor said the power company had seen it, they wanted another opinion, so I'm working with what I have.

My electrician is back in town early so as soon as he wades through all the other emergencies, he can go out andgive his thoughts or recommendations for changes. Hunt went poorly so he figured he'd come back and make some money. :D

Tom Payne
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
It looks like the panel is sitting on the ground with soil backfilled against it. That can't be good.
You're right, it does look like that, but it is an illusion of the picture. Panel is set into concrete with the grade line marked and visible.