PDA

View Full Version : Need book reviewers!

Nathan Thornberry
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I've written a book for home inspectors entitled "The Hungry Home Inspector." We've sold over 1500 copies thus far, and it is getting some great reviews...but I'm looking for some active posters to read it and post their thoughts here. Message me if you're interested in reviewing the book- and you can check it out here:

www.TheHungryHomeInspector.com (http://www.thehungryhomeinspector.com)

I'm offering a refund on the shipping and handling fees of $10 to those who review the book and post here, for a limited time only.

Thanks!

Here's my last review:

Michael Meeker's review of the book:

THE HUNGRY HOME INSPECTOR

"I found the book to be well written and very easy to understand. Nathan used real life examples of why he recommends the things he does and why they work. His life experiences that he shares with us also helps establish why he is qualified to write about the things he does. He just does not think these things are good ideas he has tried them out or seen others use them firsthand. I actually felt as if he were speaking to me personally because of many of the beliefs or feelings I have had since I entered this business. If you are willing to listen to someone else and not just keep doing the things you have always done I believe there is much to be learned. If you are hardheaded and not open to change then do not bother with it. When you combine his generous offer to all those who review it and the Resources Section I think it would be great for all those who want some changes in their business model. The thing that sticks most in my mind was something he said. I looked for it real quickly but could not find it with a quick scan before I began this review. He said basically that when some home inspectors retire they just unplug the phone when others retire they sell their business and get something out of all the hard work they put into it. Sure Nathan has something to gain if you use some of his suggestions but that does not mean they are not good suggestions. It is likely the reason he was willing to write the book and put all this good info in one place for us. It has made me look at things a little differently than I have in the past and I will very likely follow quite a few of his suggestions. I personally have as most of you know never really enjoyed the written standard home inspections I perform. I have been thinking of a few different ideas over the years and have even reached out to a few different inspectors who are doing full home inspections a little differently than myself and have never really gotten any response. This book has really gotten me to consider becoming a multi inspector firm because although I do not enjoy the work in the field I do enjoy providing folks with a service that they love and are very happy with. I have learned that it may not be in my best interests to do absolutely everything myself. If I implement some of the new ideas in my head I just may enjoy the Home Inspection Industry a little more. Even after all the time I spend on these message boards I was not aware of most of the things in the Resources Section. Sure I have heard of a few but to have all that info with names and contact info as well. That stuff alone would save you many hours searching for them on the internet even if you had kind of heard of a few of them. All and all I must say get your order in as I was impressed with the book. I would talk more about specifics but I believe that Nathan has put all the info and work into the book and it is his story to tell or sell. I hope my competition does not implement his ideas because I believe many of them would work."

Garry Sorrells
09-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Book cost = $ 15.94
30% sale = $ 11.16
Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

So much for the math.....

If you would like to have some reviews you should contact some members directly ( PM) and ask if they would review your book. Send them a copy to review (no cost). Frankly just sounds like a marketing ploy to move some books. The reviews/comments that I have seen (except for Meeker)are just some fluff, similar to an info-commercial that really says nothing.

Review: Background of author, experience and credentials, number of chapters, number of pages, topic areas, type of content and so on would be nice. Since I think you are selling/offering something other than a narrative of your 12 years since high school. But was not able to determine actually what is in the book at this point.

Scott Patterson
09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Book cost = $ 15.94
30% sale = $ 11.16
Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

If you would like to have some reviews you should contact some members directly ( PM) and ask if they would review your book. Send them a copy to review (no cost). Frankly just sounds like a marketing ploy to move some books. The reviews/comments that I have seen (except for Meeker)are just some fluff, similar to an info-commercial that really says nothing.

Review: Background of author, experience and credentials, number of chapters, number of pages, topic areas, type of content and so on would be nice. Since I think you are selling/offering something other than a narrative of your 12 years since high school. But was not able to determine actually what is in the book at this point.

Now that is an honest review!

Rick Ramirez
09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Nathan, send (email a PDF) me a copy of your book and I read and review it. This cost only a click and a send. Thanks

Rick

Nathan Thornberry
09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Nathan, send (email a PDF) me a copy of your book and I read and review it. This cost only a click and a send. Thanks

Rick

I tell you what- if you promise to read the book, and any one of the two posters above agree to buy a copy if your review is a positive one, I'll mail it out Monday. But I also want you to post a review, right here on this thread, even if you think it totally sucked, deal?

Guys, either one of you game?

Nathan Thornberry
09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Book cost = $ 15.94
30% sale = $ 11.16
Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

I've never seen so much math done over $15! You're a thorough guy...

I wouldn't know what info-mercial reviews you're referring to, they've all been unsolicited and outside of Meeker, from people who bought the book.

The book is basically a how-to for inspectors who actually want to make money...it's all non-technical, in fact I would go so far as to say it is sarcastically non-technical. I don't make enough money off a book to play those games you allude to either...wouldn't even be worth the time to post once frankly.

BridgeMan
09-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow--that says it all, a home inspector's manual that's "non-technical," that Mr. Thornberry expects people to buy under the guise of performing a review. Wonder if he sold used cars in a previous life?

I guess Thornberry thinks P.T. Barnum was right when he said there's a sucker born every minute.

Dan Harris
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow--that says it all, a home inspector's manual that's "non-technical," that Mr. Thornberry expects people to buy under the guise of performing a review. Wonder if he sold used cars in a previous life?

I guess Thornberry thinks P.T. Barnum was right when he said there's a sucker born every minute.

Ya gotta give the guy credit for trying:) it kinda looks like he's been hanging around that gromekoo guy, between the 2 of them they should be able to scam a few thousand $s from newbys that haven't figured out they can get all of the information they need , for free, from the members on this site

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM

I believe the current world birth rate has been reported to be projected as exceeding 4 births per second. When adjusted by the world death rate of slightly less than 2 per second, the resulting projected population increase for this year is est. at over 76 million

The topic and contribution of the OP has a familiar Ben G. aroma (stink?!?) of 2 years past.

Rick Cantrell
09-08-2012, 05:09 AM
I think you guys are being to hard on him (and others like him).

He has a service he thinks would be of interest and benefit to us.
Maybe he could have presented it differently, but I think he would have received the same cold response.

Chasing away advertisers is not in our, or our host interest.

Dom D'Agostino
09-08-2012, 05:27 AM

I have not read the book, yet I get that the concept of marketing and business techniques aren't "technical" to our profession. No reason to think all business related books/guides need to be technical in nature.

Garry Sorrells
09-08-2012, 06:30 AM
I've never seen so much math done over $15! You're a thorough guy...

I wouldn't know what info-mercial reviews you're referring to, they've all been unsolicited and outside of Meeker, from people who bought the book.

The book is basically a how-to for inspectors who actually want to make money...it's all non-technical, in fact I would go so far as to say it is sarcastically non-technical. I don't make enough money off a book to play those games you allude to either...wouldn't even be worth the time to post once frankly.

Nat,
The $15 is something of a side issue. When an offer is made I look at the bottom line to determine what is actually being offered and the underlying requirements of the offer. I always take pause when shipping and handling is more than the product offered.

To many people have read that a quick way to make money is to make up a product that costs the developer a minimal amount and then place advertisements all over the place in the hope of making an fortune. The trick is to have a lot of products Either I hit the mental mute button or they have decreased, not sure.

My original post to you had two basic purposes. One was to get your ball rolling in the forum. The second was to make some helpful suggestions on your desire to develop some honest industry supported reviews.

Many look at a review to actually inform the reader about the subject not a feel good warm fuzzy opinion. Nothing really bad with warm and fuzzy, but objective insightful works better for me. A car may look and sound good but I want to know exactly what is under the hood.

Take nothing I say as anything other than constructive criticism and positive suggestions.

Garry Sorrells
09-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Rick

I tell you what- if you promise to read the book, and any one of the two posters above agree to buy a copy if your review is a positive one, I'll mail it out Monday. But I also want you to post a review, right here on this thread, even if you think it totally sucked, deal?

Nat,
Positive or negative review that doesn't offer insight into what is being review means nothing. I have seen to many movies and bought to many things that had bad reviews but that I liked the design and specifications. Thought the idea of you directly contacting those members who's opinion you think would be of value was good. This forum has many members that can offer you an honest and critical review of your offering. That may mean you will have to provide a copy to them without any strings attached. Which may go against you business model. The forum does have a lot of skeptical members that do not take things at face value. Which is not bad, just a byproduct of Home Inspection process.

Nathan Thornberry
09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I think you guys are being to hard on him (and others like him).

He has a service he thinks would be of interest and benefit to us.
Maybe he could have presented it differently, but I think he would have received the same cold response.

Chasing away advertisers is not in our, or our host interest.

They're not being hard on me, they're being themselves and if they never open their minds to anything other than what they know already they will remain low-volume "home inspectors for hire with a website" rather than business owners...it's all good with me, there's always going to be some on either side of that fence separating the green grass from the swamp of despair where a $15 book is way too much to invest in yourself and must be analyzed and Nathan must be the "evil profit seeking vendor." It's laughable. Luckily, every time one of these guys posts something like this I sell another book :)

Look at my offer above and the corresponding response. 'nuff said.

And I know I have good stuff to offer- over 3500 home inspection companies doing an average of over 400 inspection inspections per year and as high as 15,000 per year (yes, that's one company) swear by RecallChek and the 90-Day Warranty. I just wasn't here to sell it, nor is the book book a sales pitch for it, I'm simply looking for a review and I'm willing to pay for it essentially. If you want to look into my services see ads below and on every other page of this site, if you want to waste your own time posting your brilliant conspiracies about how a vendor is scamming everyone when you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about, go find something more productive to do!

Ken Rowe
09-08-2012, 11:23 AM
There are a couple companies doing over 40,000 inspections a year. These are multi inspector "companies", not sole proprietorships like the majority of home inspectors across the nation.

If it's true that "every time one of these guys posts something like this I sell another book :)" then why would you offer free shipping? Or, is it that you're simply using this website as free marketing?

If it's true that you're simply looking for reviews I would think you'd send them out free of charge to established home inspectors. You can get a list of chapter presidents from ASHI.org.

Looking at your "Author" page on you book website I don't see where you provide any information as to how many inspections you've done, how you've grown your own inspection business, or any of your inspection certifications or memberships.

One would think the author of a book on how to grow your inspection business would actually have first hand knowledge of the subject. So, by all means, tell us your personal experience growing your own inspection business.

Scott Patterson
09-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Well, I guess I'm one of those two posters.... Sorry, I have no intent on buying your book. I have nothing against you but from what I have seen of your postings I do not share the same idealism's and business logic that you do. IMVHO, it seems that you need home inspectors more than they need you, your book or your service companies.

I wish you all the best with your book, but I will not be buying a copy.

Nathan, is the warranty company and Recall Check a family business or did you start it on your own?

Nathan Thornberry
09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, I guess I'm one of those two posters.... Sorry, I have no intent on buying your book. I have nothing against you but from what I have seen of your postings I do not share the same idealisms and business logic that you do. IMVHO, it seems that you need home inspectors more than they need you, your book or your service companies.

I wish you all the best with your book, but I will not be buying a copy.

Fair enough, though I think you're understating not having anything against me:)

Here's a couple links I thought some of you might find fascinating;

The Hungry Home Inspector by P Nathan Thornberry (http://www.hungryhomeinspector.com/about/all/)

(reviews we've posted)

Marketing (http://www.homeinspectorpro.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=183&jfile=index.php&topic=4177.new#new)

(a statement from an inspector currently reading the book)

InterNACHI Inspection Forum (http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/youre-going-hate-book-love-no-between-74339/index7.html)

(several reviews and statements on the book from your fellow inspectors)

Nathan Thornberry
09-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Great news guys! One of you bought the book and agreed to review it...I'll be rebating the entire charge as soon as the review is posted regardless of whether it is good or bad.

In the meantime there's one more place to get the book free of charge...

Inspector Marketing Tour (http://www.inspectorboost.com)

Join Nick Gromicko and I for the Inspection World Marketing Tour and you get a copy...

OR...

Get a free copy when you see me speak at ASHI Inspection World

www.InspectionWorld.com (http://www.inspectionworld.com)

(My bio and the course can be found at IW Phoenix Education Sessions (http://inspectionworld.com/education/prelisting.html) )

OR...

Get it for free when you come to the Marketing Day at NAHI's annual conference in Myrtle Beach...

NAHI.org (http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e634ho5i79d63d73&llr=8zpryfcab)

If an ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI giving me the stage isn't good enough for you...let me know which other organization I should associate myself with!

Garry Sorrells
09-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Nat,
Now you are starting to sound like Lisa E.

If you can not take a suggestion offered how will you handle a review that is not what you want. A writer has to be able to accept suggestions and criticism. Else they become paranoid.

I have invested in a lot of door stops over the years. Despite your contention about the dollar amount and its value applied to ourselves. I can only respond that if the book was such a value, would it not be reasonable to get some practical reviews of it. Why not select 12, no 8, how about 5 members of the forum and send them a copy for an informative review. If the value is there then you have nothing to loose. Go out on that proverbial branch and have HG Watson to write a review, it may be longer than your book. Oh, just occurred to me, how about the 12 contributors offering their review of the book. Just another thought.

You came here looking for reviews, why not get a few? Even if you have to work for them.

BridgeMan
09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Poor Nathan--he lacks the ability to properly compose a simple sentence in the English language (see the first line after his mug shot in his "biography" link, or his own recent statement in Post 18 asking us to "join Nick Gromicko and I"--correct pronoun should be the objective case, "me"), making his self-proclaimed "writer" status questionable. And yet he grumbles because people are seeing him for what he really is--someone trying to avoid paying for legitimate advertising on the site, but rather using a gimmick to make a sale.

Nathan Thornberry
09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Poor Nathan--he lacks the ability to properly compose a simple sentence in the English language (see the first line after his mug shot in his "biography" link, or his own recent statement in Post 18 asking us to "join Nick Gromicko and I"--correct pronoun should be the objective case, "me"), making his self-proclaimed "writer" status questionable. And yet he grumbles because people are seeing him for what he really is--someone trying to avoid paying for legitimate advertising on the site, but rather using a gimmick to make a sale.

The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?

You'll be happy to know I had a good editor for the book, though I can't really take credit for ASHI's site- you're correct about the pronoun usage but you'd be surprised how many would call it the other way albeit incorrectly.

Dan Harris
09-08-2012, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Nathan Thornberry;207816]The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?
QUOTE]

Nathan, I don't know for sure what bridge man was referring to.
Myself , I see 20 plus advertizers with great products, including you that bring this site to us for no charge, by the way of ads that we can click on to see if the products meet our needs.

The difference is there are only you and one other advertizer that plaster this site/ try to shove your product down our throughts with advertizing beyond what the other 18 or so do.

Most of us come to this site to share and learn from our experiences, not to see non stop self promoting / advertizing

Marketing suggestion.. If your click on ads are not getting you enough responses, it may be worthwhile to check with the other advertizers, [ not nick :D ] to see what they do, instead of no-stop advertizing , that do not add anything to the purpose of this site.. :)

Raymond Wand
09-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Ken wrote:

There are a couple companies doing over 40,000 inspections a year. These are multi inspector "companies", not sole proprietorships like the majority of home inspectors across the nation.

Is that a typo? 40,000 inspections per year given the state of the economy?

Just asking.

Nathan Thornberry
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Ken wrote:

Is that a typo? 40,000 inspections per year given the state of the economy?

Just asking.

I'm not sure where he got that, the largest single location company in the country does around 15,000 per year with 35 inspectors.

(Unless we're talking wind mits I suppose, but I wasn't counting those)

Ken Rowe
09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure where he got that, the largest single location company in the country does around 15,000 per year with 35 inspectors.

(Unless we're talking wind mits I suppose, but I wasn't counting those)

I never said anything about single location companies. When a company has 200 inspectors it's not very difficult to get 40,000 inspections per year.

I'm still waiting for your personal experience as an inspector growing your business Nathan.

Just because you're a vender for home inspectors doesn't mean you have any clue as to how the business operates or how to grow an inspection company. Sort of like if I, as a vendor to real estate agents. offered to share my knowledge (for a fee) for them to grow their business. It probably wouldn't go over so well.

Joseph Hagarty
09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Nathan,

Knowing the caliber of regular posters here...
You may be Wasting your time.....

maybe your advertising dollars also...

you will have to decide.....

Raymond Wand
09-08-2012, 04:57 PM
In my opinion, one does not have to be a home inspector to be able to teach marketing skills.

My bet is many home inspectors don't know anything about marketing concepts, even though they are great inspectors.

Marketing is marketing, its about how to sell a product, what works, what doesn't, your target audience, methods used to achieve goals.

Why would a marketing person have to know how to inspect furnaces or plumbing in order to market a product?

Just look at the number of web sites of inspectors who can't even figure out how to place their name on their website. I wonder how they get any work, but they blab on about all their experience and how great they are.

Richard Skalski
09-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I have to agree with the majority. You can get any information from this site that you may need, or others like it. If this was a site for building confidence in venture your book might be welcome. Good Luck in your personal venture."Dont go to bed with a bird on your head, you get crappy ideas."

Joseph Hagarty
09-08-2012, 05:06 PM
In my opinion, one does not have to be a home inspector to be able to teach marketing skills.

My bet is many home inspectors don't know anything about marketing concepts, even though they are great inspectors.

Marketing is marketing, its about how to sell a product, what works, what doesn't, your target audience, methods used to achieve goals.

Why would a marketing person have to know how to inspect furnaces or plumbing in order to market a product?

Just look at the number of web sites of inspectors who can't even figure out how to place their name on their website. I wonder how they get any work, but they blab on about all their experience and how great they are.

I noticed the Yo-Yo String finally broke....
Not seeing you as a NACHI Member anymore...
I guess you finally learned enough to make it on your own....
Congrats.....
:)

Joseph Hagarty
09-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I have to agree with the majority. You can get any information from this site that you may need, or others like it. If this was a site for building confidence in venture your book might be welcome. Good Luck in your personal venture."Dont go to bed with a bird on your head, you get crappy ideas."

AAaawww
and a Confirmation posting....
Nice...:)

Raymond Wand
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Joseph

I am fortunate I have not had to rely on any association to make it.

If I did I would be starving and I am already thin enough. ;)

Cheers,

Joseph Hagarty
09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Hi Joseph

I am fortunate I have not had to rely on any association to make it.

If I did I would be starving and I am already thin enough. ;)

Cheers,

Not fortunate....
just unwilling to pay for it...
have a great weekend....

Dan Harris
09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Nathan,

Knowing the caliber of regular posters here...
You may be Wasting your time.....

maybe your advertising dollars also...

you will have to decide.....

Hi Joe.. good to see you posting here again.
Should we "quote' your posts before you come back and erase them ? :)

Benjamin Thompson
09-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Nathan, If you are trying to sell your book to established home inspectors, you are doomed. At best, you will sell 1000 copies. Any book that has done well sells to PROSPECTIVE home inspectors, of which there are 10's of thousands. You would do well to offer a free copy (in PDF as Rick suggested, maybe self destructing as that is possible) to give you honest reviews. Better yet, publish on Kindle for a buck and sell a hundred thousand copies.
Or tell us why we need to read this book!

Ken Rowe
09-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Raymond, Keep in mind Nathan is not teaching marketing skills. According to his website:

The Hungry Home Inspector is a how-to for home inspectors looking to not only deliver a phnomenal service, but also make a profit in the process! The strategies in this book work equally well for single-man operations as they do for multi-inspector firms. Every topic is explained in detail:

When should you deliver the report?
How do you get a client to choose you?
What's the best way to handle relationshipss with real estate agents?
Should you market to them?

Sure, marketing is marketing but unless he's ever done an inspection and delivered a report or worked with real estate agents in the past how would he know what works best?

It's just another attempt to package and sell information which can already be obtained for free, just like checking recalls.

Scott Patterson
09-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Great news guys! One of you bought the book and agreed to review it...I'll be rebating the entire charge as soon as the review is posted regardless of whether it is good or bad.

In the meantime there's one more place to get the book free of charge...

Inspector Marketing Tour (http://www.inspectorboost.com)

Join Nick Gromicko and I for the Inspection World Marketing Tour and you get a copy...

OR...

Get a free copy when you see me speak at ASHI Inspection World

www.InspectionWorld.com (http://www.inspectionworld.com)

(My bio and the course can be found at IW Phoenix Education Sessions (http://inspectionworld.com/education/prelisting.html) )

OR...

Get it for free when you come to the Marketing Day at NAHI's annual conference in Myrtle Beach...

NAHI.org (http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e634ho5i79d63d73&llr=8zpryfcab)

If an ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI giving me the stage isn't good enough for you...let me know which other organization I should associate myself with!

I found the bio.... It looks a tad overinflated..
P. Nathan Thornberry is the president of The Inspector Services Group has been involved in more than 500,000 inspections. He has spoken to thousands of inspectors on marketing topics, and was responsible for marketing campaigns that ultimately resulted in a $2 million single-location inspection company with 15 full-time inspectors. Presently, he runs the largest 90-Day Warranty program for home inspectors and a call center. Also, his company is the exclusive marketer of RecallChek- the #1 product in the home inspection industry

Why not say your company has been associated with over 500,000 inspections? You make it sound like you are a home inspector..

Is the inspection company you speak of the one that Patty owns?

Ken Rowe
09-09-2012, 09:12 AM
P. Nathan Thornberry is the president of The Inspector Services Group has been involved in more than 500,000 inspections.

So as president of our local association chapter with 35 members does that mean I can claim I've been involved in all of my chapter member's inspections? It's got to be around 500,000.

Bob Kenney
09-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I believe the current world birth rate has been reported to be projected as exceeding 4 births per second. When adjusted by the world death rate of slightly less than 2 per second, the resulting projected population increase for this year is est. at over 76 million

So, adjusting Mr. Barnum's well used maxim for the new demographics you've provided - How many suckers are born a minute? :D

Ron Poteet
09-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Reading the posts in this thread is very frustrating. I've read Nathans book and thought it contained some great info any Inspector could use to benefit his business (well, those that don't already know it all). I've personally known Nathan for several years now and his integrity and willingness to help other inspectors build their business is to be applauded. I've know about his background in the business but gained much more insight from stories in the book. I have chosen several years ago to utilize many of the products that he provides because they provide benefits to my company, the realtors I work with, and my inspection clients. To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet
Southwest Home Inspection

Joseph Hagarty
09-09-2012, 10:58 AM
To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet

Excellent...

Ken Rowe
09-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Reading the posts in this thread is very frustrating. I've read Nathans book and thought it contained some great info any Inspector could use to benefit his business (well, those that don't already know it all). I've personally known Nathan for several years now and his integrity and willingness to help other inspectors build their business is to be applauded. I've know about his background in the business but gained much more insight from stories in the book. I have chosen several years ago to utilize many of the products that he provides because they provide benefits to my company, the realtors I work with, and my inspection clients. To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet

Having a website will help grow your business Ron. That'll be $15 please.

Mike Rosato
09-09-2012, 02:00 PM
On one hand I am flabbergasted with how close minded, unprofessional and egotistical many home inspectors that are posting here are--There is a lot of ego and arrogance spewing out here. On the other hand, I see it as a positive for growth and opportunity for a real progressive, not regressive business professional in this industry. I reluctantly say this loosely because I am not only a home inspector and business professional, but also a humanist and I would bend over backwards to help anyone--even a competitor in my market area any way that I can. I want to see everyone succeed and the old school thinking of competitors and progressives being your enemy is bad business, will hold you back and should not be part of your business strategy.

Many of the above remarks really stem from fear of competition and probably lack of marketing ability... Competition is good, it keeps you on your toes and at the top of your game, unless you are an old dog not willing to learn new tricks or fear change of any kind. I see Nathan and the others aligning themselves and partnering to advance the industry for the better of all of us and the profession as a whole. Sure, they have motives for their own business advancement and growth, but rightfully so. They are true professional business men and women who want to get ahead and realize the main way to do so is to offer value. They recognize that if the industry and home inspection businesses advance beyond their comfort zone, so will their businesses. Some of you old schoolers would be wise and should understand that many of us want to move forward and learn new things--this industry was very much in need of an overhaul before they came along regarding advancement and professionalism. Businesses need to stay ahead in the game, or get left behind. I am a new business owner in this industry, but have done my research--This industry has historically been very blue collar at most levels and if you want the real estate profession, home buyers and others to consider us true professionals, we need to conduct ourselves professionally. The I know everything "construction mentality", puffed ego and refusal of constructive criticism and advice needs to go. Don't get me wrong, I'm 45 and most of my life have been blue collar and I still am at some levels of my business. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you let it hold your business back and mask the real elephant in the room--fear and unwillingness to market and continually grow, it becomes a problem for your advancement. You can remain in denial about it, that is your choice as the leader of you business, but it will hold back your true potential. To advance beyond your box, you need to think white collar at the administration level unless you want to just close the door and turn off the lights when you retire--if you ever can retire comfortably. Either that, or pass the business on to your kid who you have destined to blue collar micro business thinking because they are watching your example. You have heard the term "generations on welfare"--I call this phenomenon "generations of blue collar" thinking. Those of you haters with multi-inspector firms who are very successful already, just think how much further you could go if you opened up your mind a little and make that leap?

Even though the HI industry has been around for quite a while now, it was lacking tremendously professionally from a business standpoint. Please don't take this as an insult guys, many of you are great and I admire and respect some of you as I have been watching most of you from the background staying silent researching, thinking and developing my business plan and marketing strategy. Most of us want to grow and the pioneers of new thought are very much needed for our profession to advance to the next level professionally.

This is my first post here on this blog. For the record, I am a new business owner, not new to inspection, but a new business owner. Businesses and Guys like Nathan, Dom, the boys at COA, ISN, Mike Crow and Nick and other professionals are helping our profession advance which is easy to see unless you are living in a box and are driven by your ego, emotions and fear. I know who these guys are from my own research and evaluation of the industry. Most of them have no idea who I am. I only know of them from extensive research of this industry. Sure I have signed up for a few of their services but solely from a business value standpoint. Yes, I have purchased the book, but just received it Friday. I started to read it, but only a few chapters so far--I can clearly see it's a phenomenal book already. I will read and finish it this afternoon and post a review. I have to say, by seeing your fear, ruffled feathers and hearing the majority of you here down talking the book, without even reading it is comical. Come on guys, think outside the box, why would you not want to know what the competition may be reading or what the leaders of our industry are thinking about the advancement of our industry. I think you guys just hate marketing, sales and change which is counterproductive thinking and regressive for your business in the long run.

I have a dual Bachelors degree in social work and business administration. While I was working on it come registration time each term, some student peers would tell me "don't take that instructor, he or she sucks or is a nightmare". I received the message that this advice is probably coming from a person who wants to do the minimum and that the instructor is probably challenging and I will really learn something from that instructor. I always would enroll in the classes taught by these professors that received bad ratings from my peers and always learned more from them because they challenge us to do better... I see nothing different here from professors like Nathan.

Garry Sorrells
09-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Adding a set of steak knives may sweeten the offer a bit.:)

Raymond Wand
09-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Well thats a new one... someone actually calling Nick Gromicko a professional.

1. You must be new
2. Naive
3. Haven't really done your research

Mike Rosato
09-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Raymond, instead of propaganda about Nick or others with no examples or even reading the book, speak some truth with examples of how they are not professionals. Fear and diversion of attention cause people to make blanket statements without substantiation. Humor my alleged newbie, naive thinking. I think it more has to do with him and others producing competition for you making you work for your market share.

Billy Stephens
09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I am not only a home inspector and business professional, but also a humanist and I would bend over backwards to help anyone-.
Great Send Me The Money.

Raymond Wand
09-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Mike

No propaganda...

1. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/associations-ethics-standards-licensing-legislation-home-inspectors-commercial-inspectors/2408-lawsuit-nicky-again.html

2. Case for Licensing (http://www.theco.ca/page170.htm)

3. New NACHI information - Home Inspection & Home Inspector Services For Inspections and Inspectors (http://inspectionnews.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000874.html)

4. What about this? - The Inspector's Journal Forums (http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3077&SearchTerms=Nick,Gromicko)

I won't even get into how the ESOP works under Nicks direction or how anything go's.

Nachi is not the professional body it thinks it is and wants to be because its a privately held company, no votes, no financials, no accurate membership count, members have no say in the direction or operation.

Nick would sell his own mother if he thought he could profit from it.
He is a master at using people for his own advantage and profit.

But then again you have not been around long enough to know the sordid details.

I speak from first hand knowledge, I regrettably assisted in getting Nick a foot hold in Canada.

Mike Rosato
09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Raymond, articles/substantiations are very old--2004 to 2007 and more than likely biased. Nick is still around and doing it right. Also weren't you expelled from NACHI for not following ethics and SOP? I think your opinion is very biased and a scorned one. Time to move on.

Raymond Wand
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Raymond, articles/substantiations are very old--2004 to 2007 and more than likely biased. Nick is still around and doing it right. Also weren't you expelled from NACHI for not following ethics and SOP? I think your opinion is very biased and a scorned one. Time to move on.

Well the info is still relevant now as it was then, all verifiable by others.

Yes I was expelled by Nachi, for posting a profanity laced letter sent by Joe Farsetta to me from his private yahoo account. Of which Joe and party conspired on line in an open forum to throw me out.

Considering you claim to have two degrees I would think you would know about ethics and standards when it comes to a professional body and how such matters are heard in camera, with witnesses, documentation, heard by a unbias committee. None of which I was afforded. It was all done on an open public forum.

Having been the chair of a professional practices committee that had policies and procedures back up by bylaws (which Nachi doesn't) I know very well how a the discipline process works.

As you read through the links there was mention of someone else who also was booted without benefit of a proper hearing.

This is how Nachi operates, its condoned by Farsetta and Nick and the goons on the ESOP who are also clueless.

And for the record, Mr. Cohen a good buddy of Nick and Nachi attorney also agreed with me that the posting of Farsettas private email had nothing whatsoever to do with Nachi.

It is also errant of you to ignore the continual abuse of the forum rules by so called members who get away with breach after breach. In Nachi there is assurance of two rules, those that are Nicks buddies do as they wish, and get what they want. Its all about the money.

I suggest you stop deluding yourself into being brainwashed and move on yourself, after all, ignorance is bliss.

Mike Rosato
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Holding on to anger is not healthy or productive. Also, it is not my place to speak of what has happened between you, Joe, Nick and NACHI so please don't try to discuss it with me. If I insulted you and reopened a wound, I am truly sorry Raymond it was not my intention. I wish you the best.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Rosato
09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
My apologies to this happening on your thread Nathan.

Raymond Wand
09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Mike,

No problem, yes its a sore point for me.

My apologies for reacting.

Cheers,

Scott Patterson
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
If folks would just post the truth and not half- truths or exagurations much of the issues that everyone is posting about would be a moot point. For some reason when individuals who consider themselves marketing experts talk or write about ways to market or advertise the lies and half baked truths start flying. This is a concept I have never understood or been able tolerate with anyone.

I'm glad that we have individuals that feel that little lies and exagurations are okay and use them in their promotions, it only helps those of us who do not use dishonest tactics to sway folks who just do not know any better.

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 07:54 PM
If folks would just post the truth and not half- truths or exagurations much of the issues that everyone is posting about would be a moot point. For some reason when individuals who consider themselves marketing experts talk or write about ways to market or advertise the lies and half baked truths start flying. This is a concept I have never understood or been able tolerate with anyone.

I'm glad that we have individuals that feel that little lies and exagurations are okay and use them in their promotions, it only helps those of us who do not use dishonest tactics to sway folks who just do not know any better.

And then there are people like you, who take my bio and experience, and question it without any knowledge at all. Not only is it in poor taste, you're off base- and you should know that my experience in marketing to real estate agents is pretty good. I say that because I've had a booth at four of the last six Middle Tennessee Realtor Conventions hosted by GNAR, you'll find one or two of my marketing reps in your area at that booth, talking to hundreds of agents that use my home warranty exclusively in the greater Nashville area. I don't know if you had a booth there, but I'd highly suggest it. 500+ agents in one room...and you missed it? And you question my marketing abilities?

If you had done any substantial marketing in the offices in your own home town, you would find that almost all of them have warranty brochures from Residential Warranty Services, Inc., brochures for our SIMPLE warranty and the Advantage Plan, as well as inspectors in almost every office there being promoted with RecallChek and our 90-Day Warranties.

You'd also find that we have a relationship with the largest region of EXIT Realty, EXIT Mid-South, and I've personally flown down on several occasions, landed at the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport, and had full hour sessions training real estate agents on using social media and promoting their business with unique offerings and been back to my office in Indy before lunch.

In August ALONE my reps hit 134 offices a total of 157 times-

http://postimage.org/image/es32k0ezz/

Here's a map for you I just pulled.

View image: BAM Dashboard Mozilla Firefox 2012 09 09 22 49 (http://postimage.org/image/es32k0ezz/)

You of all people should be asking me, considering I did over 1500 transactions within 50 miles of your home in the last twelve months alone, "How do I get more agent referrals?"

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
My apologies to this happening on your thread Nathan.

No worries, it's incredibly entertaining! I don't take anything personally.

Billy Stephens
09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
So is Someone gonna Send Me The Money or Not? :D
*doesn't matter who. ;)

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 08:24 PM
In case you're just tuning in or have forgotten what we were talking about...

The Hungry Home Inspector by P Nathan Thornberry (http://www.thehungryhomeinspector.com)

:rolleyes:

Jack Feldmann
09-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Nathan,
It appears that you might have a great book there, based on the people that contributed to it. I would be happy to read it, and write a review. However, I am not interested in buying the book, or even paying postage. If you want to send me a copy, I would be happy to write a review.

I have three inspection related books on my bookshelf that the authors sent to me, for free. In fact most authors (and agents) flood the market with freebies to try to get their books into stores, etc to sell.

On a side note, I am curious about the very large number of inspections that you claim to have been part off. It just doesn't seem humanly possible.

Ken Rowe
09-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm still waiting to hear what makes you an authority on growing a home inspection business.

Marketing home warranties and having brochures in an office is nothing like growing a home inspection business. We can't give kickbacks to agents for using our services.

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Nathan,
It appears that you might have a great book there, based on the people that contributed to it. I would be happy to read it, and write a review. However, I am not interested in buying the book, or even paying postage. If you want to send me a copy, I would be happy to write a review.

I have three inspection related books on my bookshelf that the authors sent to me, for free. In fact most authors (and agents) flood the market with freebies to try to get their books into stores, etc to sell.

On a side note, I am curious about the very large number of inspections that you claim to have been part off. It just doesn't seem humanly possible.

It's actually an outdated number- it's more like double that now. This number represents the total number of RecallChek reports, 90-Day Warranties, our Home Inspector Call Center orders, Termite Protection Plans, and Radon Protection Plans we've provided through home inspectors in the U.S. and Canada, mostly in the last 3 years. We're on track to do 40,000-50,000 transactions per month this year, so that number will change even more drastically over the next year or two in all likelihood.

This number excludes the inspections performed by my parents' company during the time I was marketing manager there of course, and it doesn't include our One Year Home Warranty sales either, which we sell in several states and will expand to many more states over the next twelve months.

And none of that would be humanly possible, you're correct, except I have a staff of around 35 amazing people including, most notably to the inspectors who might read this, Bill Gustafson, Mike Doerr, Tim Clark, Cory Spears, Aaron Hall, Dan Sockrider, Adam Fitch, Danelle Smart, and a slew of other people you may never speak to directly but are all here to support home inspectors.

Just an FYI, the book has been purchased/sponsored by my company and others as giveaways at a number of home inspection conventions this season. Are there any you are attending so I can make sure you know where to get a copy?

Jack Feldmann
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Nathan,
Doing a little web browsing I found some interesting, if not conflicting information. Your background info between Linkedin, Facebook and the web page at Anker Consulting seem to conflict with each other. One says you started RWS in 1988, and another says May 2000. RWS Inspect started in 2002. You were in prep school until 2000.

I think Scott was spot on when he said your bio was a tad overinflated. I also think he was being kind, because he didn't say what a lot of us are thinking.

I will be at Inspection World in January. I just thought you were wanting to get reviews sooner than that. I promise that if you send me the book, you will have a review posted within 48 hours.

Don't get me wrong...while I think your bio is overinflated, that would have no bearing on what I think about the book. I read Wally Conway's book and thought it was great. Send me a private e-mail and I will give you my address.

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm still waiting to hear what makes you an authority on growing a home inspection business.

Marketing home warranties and having brochures in an office is nothing like growing a home inspection business. We can't give kickbacks to agents for using our services.

No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue- even though it was posted on a major Inspection Organization's website, and yes one that background checks their speakers before they offer them compensation to speak to their membership. In fact I'd wanted to speak at InspectionWorld for YEARS before I got the call from Bill Lewis and I can't tell you what an honor it is. I'm stoked.

Marketing home warranties is incredibly similar to marketing home inspections, and I know sir because before I ever sold a home warranty I sold inspections. In fact, I sold a LOT of inspections thank you very much- and if you want to tell everyone reading this thread precisely how many inspections you did in 2002 I will be happy to post my number as well and then let you discredit me once again (why not?)... I even typed inspections before inspection software was readily available, I took inspection orders, I handled complaints...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken. After all, I'm the one who has personally sold inspection services and home warranties, successfully, and the marketing is very similar- but you say it's "nothing like growing a home inspection business." The difference is that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about but you keep saying things...is it that you have it out for me or do you always talk about things you know nothing about?

For anyone interested, more reviews have come in today...an update for you:

The Hungry Home Inspector by P Nathan Thornberry (http://www.hungryhomeinspector.com/about/all/)

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Nathan,
Doing a little web browsing I found some interesting, if not conflicting information. Your background info between Linkedin, Facebook and the web page at Anker Consulting seem to conflict with each other. One says you started RWS in 1988, and another says May 2000. RWS Inspect started in 2002. You were in prep school until 2000.

I think Scott was spot on when he said your bio was a tad overinflated. I also think he was being kind, because he didn't say what a lot of us are thinking.

I will be at Inspection World in January. I just thought you were wanting to get reviews sooner than that. I promise that if you send me the book, you will have a review posted within 48 hours.

Don't get me wrong...while I think your bio is overinflated, that would have no bearing on what I think about the book. I read Wally Conway's book and thought it was great. Send me a private e-mail and I will give you my address.

I can't control all the posts out there- but nothing there is a conflict really except for the 1988 number. Residential Warranty Services, Inc. was founded in 1988, I took it over in 2000 within a month of graduating from Brebeuf. The Anker Consulting Group was an advisory position only, and did not detract from anything else I was doing.

I'll make sure you get a copy, it of course has more information than you need on this topic!

Ken Rowe
09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue-

I think you must have me confused with some other "dude". I haven't said your background was overblown or untrue. I asked what your background was growing your own inspection company. And, you still haven't answered that question.

Marketing home warranties is incredibly similar to marketing home inspections, and I know sir because before I ever sold a home warranty I sold inspections. In fact, I sold a LOT of inspections thank you very much-
Now, we're getting somewhere. What company did you market inspections for? How long did you do it? What were their yearly numbers prior to your marketing and after...this is the information needed to validate your expertise.

and if you want to tell everyone reading this thread precisely how many inspections you did in 2002 Sure, 2002 was my first year as an inspector. I did 406 inspections that year, but that was only a partial year. How many inspections did you personally perform that year?

I will be happy to post my number as well and then let you discredit me once again (why not?)... I even typed inspections before inspection software was readily available, I took inspection orders, I handled complaints...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken.
Again, you have the wrong "dude". I haven't criticized your bio. Only wanted to know your experience in growing an inspection business.

After all, I'm the one who has personally sold inspection services and home warranties, successfully, and the marketing is very similar- but you say it's "nothing like growing a home inspection business." The difference is that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about but you keep saying things...is it that you have it out for me or do you always talk about things you know nothing about? It's interesting that you chastise me for criticizing your bio, (which I haven't done) then tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to marketing inspections and home warranties. Yet you have no clue what my bio is. You have no clue that I worked several years for those companies doing 40,000 inspections a year. You have no clue that I was responsible for not only hiring the inspectors and training them, but also hiring the warranty reps, training them, introducing them to the local brokers and pretty much all the bs you're doing.

Marketing warranties is nothing like marketing inspections. Not with RESPA and inspection association ethics. With the latest Respa ruling we could kick back a payment to the agents who ordered the warranty for a "minimum" service performed. It's much easier to have an agent order a home warranty for their client when they're pocketing $100 for writing down some serial numbers. Try giving them $100 for ordering a home inspection and ASHI would kick the inspector out due to the ethics violation. I can't say what Nachi would do because I'm not associated with them. So, please don't say that marketing warranties and inspections are the same because they're not. The rules are different for each.

Nathan Thornberry
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Ken- you must be confusing yourself with the owner of BPG. If you were the owner of BPG, then maybe you could take credit for all of that, which I was perfectly aware of by the way. How's your career with BPG going, Ken?

I knew your response would be ridiculous, and I've actually had an inspector email me an apology for this thread...and yes, you can try to separate yourself from your responses and reactions to others post but you're really just playing games.

2002 was your first year? Wow, that was my 3rd year full time as a marketing manager for a firm that I took from 5,000 appointments per year all the way to 7,000 in that year- 2002- before I determined that I couldnt promote both the Inspections and the warranties and get where I wanted to be. Of course that doesn't include all the child labor my parents got out of me starting when I was thirteen years old typing reports and taking orders and eventually creating much of the system they used in Filemaker 3.0 to run their business.

It was an incredible experience working with true business people- and what laid the foundation for the rest of my career- which is longer than yours in real estate and involves exponentially more transactions. But I'm sure you'll have more ridiculous comments on this topic I can ignore...

P.S. Nobody else need apologize for Mr. Rowe. Every time he posts something about me I get more visitors to my site! Thanks Ken!

Ken Rowe
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Ken- you must be confusing yourself with the owner of BPG. If you were the owner of BPG, then maybe you could take credit for all of that, which I was perfectly aware of by the way. How's your career with BPG going, Ken? The owner of BPG is Stephens Group, a private investment company. I never claimed to be an owner, just a lowly area manager. My area only did about a million a year, so not one of the bigger areas. We parted ways a few years back. I didn't like giving them half of my income. By the way, I did the same job for another national firm. Try to guess that one.

I knew your response would be ridiculous, Please enlighten me on how my response is "ridiculous". I thought I was being honest and sincere.

I couldnt promote both the Inspections and the warranties and get where I wanted to be.
Now you're confusing me. According to your previous statement marketing warranties was the same as marketing inspections. But now you state you couldn't do them both.

While you're figuring out how to explain that, how about you post the name of the inspection company you brought from 5,000 to 7,000 inspection per year. That way you can show you're an expert on the topic. It shouldn't be this hard to pull this information out of you.

It was an incredible experience working with true business people- and what laid the foundation for the rest of my career- which is longer than yours in real estate and involves exponentially more transactions. Really? You're sure about that? You know I wasn't a Realtor, mortgage broker, or warranty rep for 15 years prior to becoming an inspector? You assume too much.

BPG was doing about 40,000 inspections a year when I left. Selling about 30,000 home warranties and answering 150,000 calls at the call center a year. Does that mean I could claim I was involved in 220,000 transactions a year? Nope. Even if I was the owner of the company I could not claim I was directly involved in those transactions. See the difference is you count the number of transactions even remotely connected to companies you've worked with. I only count the ones I've been directly involved in.

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 04:29 AM
See what I mean guys? Nothing would satisfy Ken, even knowing my sales dwarfed his. The hypocrisy of his comments is staggering, as he Is argumentative only to discredit me...for why? To show he has more expertise, by virtue of splitting his income with BPG he has the same credibility as if he had come up with the whole thing himself? I never read his book but...oh, wait, no book from him just a bunch of hot air on forums.

I hesitated to post anything about volume, because maybe you would think my book or anything I do wasn't for you- but I promise it is. I work with over 3400 home inspection companies and I know what it takes to go from 100 to 200, 400 to 800, or more for you Multi-inspector guys.

If you would like to review the book, I'll pay your shipping as stated in the first post and you'll get all the stuff that comes with it. If not, no big deal- you don't have to take advantage of the offer. Talk to one of your favorite vendors that have bought copies for their users or pick it up at a convention.

And then come back here, post your review, and watch Ken squirm! Lol

Scott Patterson
09-10-2012, 06:25 AM
And then there are people like you, who take my bio and experience, and question it without any knowledge at all. Not only is it in poor taste, you're off base- and you should know that my experience in marketing to real estate agents is pretty good. I say that because I've had a booth at four of the last six Middle Tennessee Realtor Conventions hosted by GNAR, you'll find one or two of my marketing reps in your area at that booth, talking to hundreds of agents that use my home warranty exclusively in the greater Nashville area. I don't know if you had a booth there, but I'd highly suggest it. 500+ agents in one room...and you missed it? And you question my marketing abilities?

If you had done any substantial marketing in the offices in your own home town, you would find that almost all of them have warranty brochures from Residential Warranty Services, Inc., brochures for our SIMPLE warranty and the Advantage Plan, as well as inspectors in almost every office there being promoted with RecallChek and our 90-Day Warranties.

You'd also find that we have a relationship with the largest region of EXIT Realty, EXIT Mid-South, and I've personally flown down on several occasions, landed at the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport, and had full hour sessions training real estate agents on using social media and promoting their business with unique offerings and been back to my office in Indy before lunch.

In August ALONE my reps hit 134 offices a total of 157 times-

http://postimage.org/image/es32k0ezz/

Here's a map for you I just pulled.

View image: BAM Dashboard Mozilla Firefox 2012 09 09 22 49 (http://postimage.org/image/es32k0ezz/)

You of all people should be asking me, considering I did over 1500 transactions within 50 miles of your home in the last twelve months alone, "How do I get more agent referrals?"

Nathan, good for you I'm tickled pink that you are doing this. But, it might surprise you that this is not a market segment I care to work in. 75% of my business is driven by past client referrals, the Internet and Angie's List. I do not market directly to agents in their offices; I know that this goes against your thinking process but I do not like begging for business. The agents that do use me on a regular basis have discovered me through their past clients who used me. I also deal a great deal in a higher end market segment that many inspectors in the area do not want to work in due to the time involved and the higher price range of the homes. This is another reason I do not do more than one sometime two inspections a day.

I run a solo shop ( I have gone the multiple inspector route. At one time I had 3 inspectors working for me and I learned I did not like that type of business). I'm happy with my 6+ basic home inspections a week, a few consulting jobs per week and several ongoing litigation cases in the works pretty much year round. It keeps me as busy as I want to be, not to mention I make as much income as I need to support my lifestyle. In other words what I'm doing works for me.

I seldom work in the Murfreesboro market, most of the homes I inspect are in Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, Thompson's Station, Leipers Fork areas) and parts of Davidson County(Belle Meade, Green Hills).

Next time you are in the Nashville area please contact me I will make time in my schedule for you. I would love to meet you face to face over lunch or dinner. I will also be at the October COA conference in Vegas and at InspectionWorld in January in Vegas.

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Nathan, good for you I'm tickled pink that you are doing this. But, it might surprise you that this is not a market segment I care to work in. 75% of my business is driven by past client referrals, the Internet and Angie's List. I do not market to agents in their offices; I know that this goes against your thinking process but I do not like begging for business.

I run a solo shop ( I have gone the multiple inspector route. At one time I had 3 inspectors working for me and I learned I did not like that type of business). I'm happy with my 6+ basic home inspections a week, a few consulting jobs per week and several ongoing litigation cases in the works pretty much year round. It keeps me as busy as I want to be, not to mention I make as much income as I need to support my lifestyle. In other words what I'm doing works for me.

I seldom work in the Murfreesboro market, most of the homes I inspect are in Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, Thompson's Station, Leipers Fork areas) and parts of Davidson County(Belle Meade, Green Hills).

Next time you are in the Nashville area please contact me I will make time in my schedule for you. I would love to meet you face to face over lunch or dinner. I will also be at the October COA conference in Vegas and at InspectionWorld in January in Vegas.

Come see me there- I'm handing you a copy of my book personally and I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Brentwood is obviously a good area...keep it up.

Just an FYI, if you have a very personal relationship with your clients, you might consider mentioning the SIMPLE warranty- the reason is that if you don't find it, it's not a pre-existing condition. This only applies when they've had a professional home inspection, your's counts, and I imagine we're already working with some of the same clients occasionally.

Scott Patterson
09-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Come see me there- I'm handing you a copy of my book personally and I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Brentwood is obviously a good area...keep it up.

Just an FYI, if you have a very personal relationship with your clients, you might consider mentioning the SIMPLE warranty- the reason is that if you don't find it, it's not a pre-existing condition. This only applies when they've had a professional home inspection, your's counts, and I imagine we're already working with some of the same clients occasionally.

Works for me, I might make it to the Southeastern Conference as well but that is up air due to a possible family event that looks like will conflict with me going.

Ken Rowe
09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
See what I mean guys? Nothing would satisfy Ken, even knowing my sales dwarfed his. The hypocrisy of his comments is staggering, as he Is argumentative only to discredit me...for why? To show he has more expertise, by virtue of splitting his income with BPG he has the same credibility as if he had come up with the whole thing himself? I never read his book but...oh, wait, no book from him just a bunch of hot air on forums.
l

WTF? I simply ask for you to provide your background information regarding your expertise in the field of growing an inspection business and you've somehow turned this into a competition between the two of us?.

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever. I'm not trying to compare my background with yours. You've asked me questions about my background and I've answered them honestly. I've asked you about your background and you've gotten defensive and went on the attack.

You're correct, I haven't written a book and never claimed to be an expert in growing a home inspection business. But I've shared my experience with any inspectors who've asked, free of charge.

The question now is, why would the author trying to sell a book, get defensive, combative and evasive when asked about his expertise in the field the book was written?

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
WTF? I simply ask for you to provide your background information regarding your expertise in the field of growing an inspection business and you've somehow turned this into a competition between the two of us?.

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever. I'm not trying to compare my background with yours. You've asked me questions about my background and I've answered them honestly. I've asked you about your background and you've gotten defensive and went on the attack.

You're correct, I haven't written a book and never claimed to be an expert in growing a home inspection business. But I've shared my experience with any inspectors who've asked, free of charge.

The question now is, why would the author trying to sell a book, get defensive, combative and evasive when asked about his expertise in the field the book was written?

Oh, yeah, you were just "helping out." Right...I ignored your posts half a dozen times until I responded once and you didn't disappoint! No one can ever accuse you of not being passionate Ken, and I respect that.

Ken Rowe
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh, yeah, you were just "helping out." Right...I ignored your posts half a dozen times until I responded once and you didn't disappoint! No one can ever accuse you of not being passionate Ken, and I respect that.

You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field?

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Nathan if your looking for the good and bad it appears you forgot to post this one from the nacho site. :)

"
Quote/// Is it one of those, "You are the captain of your own ship" self-help books? Call me crazy, but I'm a little skeptical of someone who isn't a home inspector, who appears to be about 25 years old, writing a book about the home inspection business.

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field?

I've paid as much as a thousand times or more for advice from people that don't have any experience from my particular field, and without that advice I wouldn't be where I am today.

I've yet to have someone read the book and not think it was incredibly worth while, so if you want to give it a shot do so. I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition.

You may be looking for someone with multi-inspector experience- but that experience may come off as over the top to someone doing 200 inspections a year that doesn't have those aspirations.

The bottom line is that everyone will get something out of the book, and despite some of the things said on this thread there is no sales pitch for the book here. I'm losing money on it, but the effect it's already having is phenomenal and that is very fulfilling.

This business needs to be exciting again- and the old ways just aren't necessarily the good ways. Don't change a thing if you don't want to, just evolve.

Ken Rowe
09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition.

I have no expectations regarding your credentials. I'd just simply like to know what they are and how they pertain to your personal experience growing a home inspection business.

You've already stated 10 years ago you grew a home inspection business from 5,000 to 7,000 inspections a year. That's a great credential. Please name the company so it can be verified.

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
This business needs to be exciting again- and the old ways just aren't necessarily the good ways. Don't change a thing if you don't want to, just evolve.

Exciting?? You will find that most of the experienced inspectors fail to see anything exciting about having the need to offer free stuff, or offer gimmicks

Evolve.. Nothing will change the fact that the best and honest way to evolve is by offering a better report and knoweldge of the home when going over the defects with the clinets.
Your and the other marketing guys tactics are like car salesmen.. Don't worry about ethics, state Lic. laws, just sell the product .

Marketing to realtors.. My experience, it's almost usless. Sure you will have the chance to get a few to refer you one time. If you don't know how to present your findings, and recommend additional evaluation for everything, because you don't have a clue about what your selling, all of your efferts will be lost after you do the first inspection they referred you for.
Truth is, there isn't book a outhere that can teach a person ethics, how to treat a client, or properly commuicate the defects identified in the report.

But hey, no problem, now we have Nate to add to the list of guys to tell us how to find more realtors and keep getting new realtors with gimmicks and offering free stuff. :D

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Exciting?? You will find that most of the experienced inspectors fail to see anything exciting about having the need to offer free stuff, or offer gimmicks

Evolve.. Nothing will change the fact that the best and honest way to evolve is by offering a better report and knoweldge of the home when going over the defects with the clinets.
Your and the other marketing guys tactics are like car salesmen.. Don't worry about ethics, state Lic. laws, just sell the product .

Marketing to realtors.. My experience, it's almost usless. Sure you will have the chance to get a few to refer you one time. If you don't know how to present your findings, and recommend additional evaluation for everything, because you don't have a clue about what your selling, all of your efferts will be lost after you do the first inspection they referred you for.
Truth is, there isn't book a outhere that can teach a person ethics, how to treat a client, or properly commuicate the defects identified in the report.

But hey, no problem, now we have Nate to add to the list of guys to tell us how to find more realtors and keep getting new realtors with gimmicks and offering free stuff. :D

Don't market to agents, just do a good inspection and hope for the best, got it! Oh, and just offer the basic home inspection only, that way we're all on a level playing field. Did I miss anything?

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Don't market to agents, just do a good inspection and hope for the best, got it! Oh, and just offer the basic home inspection only, that way we're all on a level playing field.

Did I miss anything?

Yes!!! By a long shot..
If you have to ask your childish question. You don't have a clue how to honestly get new clients, keep them and have them as your best sales people with out giving them anything, or even asking them to refer you.

Want proof go to Angies List and view my recommendations .. Never once did I ever ask , or suggest to any of them to post a referral for me.

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes!!! By a long shot..If you have to ask your question. You don't have a clue how to honestly get new clients, keep them and have them as your best sales people with out giving them anything, or even asking them to refer you.

Want proof go to Angies List and view my recommendations .. Never once did I ever ask , or suggest to any of them to post a referral for me.

That's phenomenal work, no doubt you're good with clients. Those reviews say it all!

Now just a hypothetical...if you get this kind of response the honest way you speak of, where you don't really market yourself or differentiate your service in any perceptive way, do you have any reason to believe that if you did start a sensible and reasonable marketing campaign with some well-received messages, hit the agents with it and started getting referrals, that those clients wouldn't react in much the same way thus increasing those best sales people you have now into a small army?

By the way, nothing I ever say implies doing a good, thorough inspection isn't necessary. Quite the opposite- within the first few pages of the book I hit that one hard! Nothing matters if you don't know what you're doing, and even those I might disagree with from time to time here on this MB are great inspectors without a doubt. In fact, I don't know any home inspectors personally that don't want to take excellent care of their customers and I don't know any that want problems coming up later and becoming liabilities for them.

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Now just a hypothetical...if you get this kind of response the honest way you speak of, where you don't really market yourself or differentiate your service in any perceptive way, do you have any reason to believe that if you did start a sensible and reasonable marketing campaign with some well-received messages, hit the agents with it and started getting referrals, that those clients wouldn't react in much the same way thus increasing those best sales people you have now into a small army?

The truth is anyone can build a small army with a small realtor referral base, and with out offering gimmicks and free stuff.
Realtors should be the last, or at least an inspectors smallest referral base.

I can honestly say, and I believe most other established inspectors will agree, that when first starting out when doing a realtor referral, an inspector will question his/her reporting/ wording to some extent with the thought, if i write, or say it this way will the realtor refer me again.

Keep on a doing what your doing, I enjoy seeing newby websites focusing on what they will give the client for free, and hide their experience , and what they offer the client on the 3rd or 4th web pages :D

Russel Ray
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
My afternoon inspection got postponed so I thought I'd read InspectionNews for a change. Now I remember why I usually skip it each week.

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
My afternoon inspection got postponed so I thought I'd read InspectionNews for a change. Now I remember why I usually skip it each week.

Hey Russel .. Yea I agree it's starting to look like another HI chat board loaded with venders selling stuff :D

BridgeMan
09-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Thornberry should run for elective office somewhere. He has a real knack for ignoring direct questions, fluffing up his credentials and dodging the issues. All while deftly dancing around the truth.

Nathan Thornberry
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Thornberry should run for elective office somewhere. He has a real knack for ignoring direct questions, fluffing up his credentials and dodging the issues. All while deftly dancing around the truth.

Yes, dancing around a bunch of lies for my own entertainment, working on signatures to run for the mayor of your town as we speak! LOL. If selling a ton of product, serving a ton of clients, and then coming here and telling you that I serve a ton of clients when I'm asked is "fluffing up credentials", I guess I'm guilty. You caught me in a whole career of making up this 200+ page book, printing thousands of copies, going on a tour of the country talking to home inspection professionals, tricking literally thousands of inspectors into using products and services that don't help them a bit so I have to trick them once again into continually using them, hiring nearly three dozen people and putting them in a 8000+ square foot facility, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on travel, booth and sponsorship expenses for ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI events amongst others, convincing the organizers of events and leadership of all the major Inspection organizations in North America that they should invite me to speak at their event, and then come to this message board here for the grand finale.

Congratulations, BridgeMan, you got me! Your worst conspiracy theory of the evil vendor milking inspectors dry of one day's lunch money has come true!:)

For you personally I'm going to make you a very special offer...just to find out how deep these thoughts run for you. If you go to RecallChek.com, click "Sign Up" and register- don't even use anything, just go there and register- I'm going to send you the book for free as long as you commit to at least reading the first two chapters and making one solitary post right here on this thread.

Ken Rowe
09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Nathan, are you going to name the inspection company you claimed to have increase inspections for 10 years ago?

BridgeMan
09-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Congratulations, BridgeMan, you got me! Your worst conspiracy theory of the evil vendor milking inspectors dry of one day's lunch money has come true!

For you personally I'm going to make you a very special offer...just to find out how deep these thoughts run for you. If you go to RecallChek.com, click "Sign Up" and register- don't even use anything, just go there and register- I'm going to send you the book for free as long as you commit to at least reading the first two chapters and making one solitary post right here on this thread.

Sorry, Bud, but I'm not quite ready to take that plunge (registering for something I have absolutely no intention of ever using, or giving you my email address for you to hack or sell to others for a profit). But if you PM me, I'll give you my snail-mail address, and you can just send the freebie book. I'll do my best to give it an honest review, here on this site. Curious why only the first two chapters, though--are the remaining ones a guaranteed cure for insomnia? But I have to warn you that I can be a harsh critic, especially if your writing is devoid of facts while being heavy on fluff (like most of your postings here).

And BTW, how about answering some of Ken's questions? With specifics, please, and not more generalities.

Mike Rosato
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself, read between the lines and understand the business theory going on here. You guys are introducing this red herring at an attempt to divert attention and discredit Nathan acting like a bunch of right fighters, and for what--to keep things stagnant. The blue collar/hammer and nail mentality is really oozing out guys.

Guys like Nathan are advancing this industry to the next level and I understand it scares you. You are just kicking and screaming because it is making it harder for you to succeed and grow-- Others are doing it, so inadvertently he is forcing you to rethink your business process and the value you offer in order to move to the next level. He is merely getting the blame because he is the catalyst. The theories in his book are sound and meant to take you to the next level and expand. It is also presented in simple terms. Guess what? If you don't expand and grow, you are going backwards because of inflation and the CODB increases each year. If you stay the same you will net less each year. In today's market customers want to see the value in doing business with you and how differentiate--not just how many inspections you have completed, how experienced you are and how well you present your findings. Most of us offer the latter--don't underestimate the value and the differentiation.

Dan Harris
09-10-2012, 11:21 PM
This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself, read between the lines and understand the business theory going on here. You guys are introducing this red herring at an attempt to divert attention and discredit Nathan acting like a bunch of right fighters, and for what--to keep things stagnant. The blue collar/hammer and nail mentality is really oozing out guys.

Guys like Nathan are advancing this industry to the next level and I understand it scares you. You are just kicking and screaming because it is making it harder for you to succeed and grow-- Others are doing it, so inadvertently he is forcing you to rethink your business process and the value you offer in order to move to the next level. He is merely getting the blame because he is the catalyst. The theories in his book are sound and meant to take you to the next level and expand. It is also presented in simple terms. Guess what? If you don't expand and grow, you are going backwards because of inflation and the CODB increases each year. If you stay the same you will net less each year. In today's market customers want to see the value in doing business with you--not just how many inspections you have completed or how experienced you are.

Mike take a chill pill. :D
embarrassing??? You have only been a member here for a week, and the only posts that you replied to, are defending sales of another marketing gimmick.

I see your one of those new inspectors that think the only way to sell your services is by listing all of the free stuf on your front web page you can, to get a phone call.
Home Inspections in Riverside, Temecula, Murrieta and Surrounding Areas | **(951) 217-5605** (http://www.riverside-home-inspections.com/)

Hang in there for a few years and you 2 will realize providing a professional inspection will surpass any type of marketing and giving freebys to get someone to call you.
You too can then be really embarrassed that other inspectors will stoop that low to get a call :D

Nathan Thornberry
09-11-2012, 04:03 AM
No, Mike's right. It's embarrassing for the industry the way some of us approach things.

There was actually a post in this thread quoting a question as a review, with no intention but discrediting. Just so you know, your competition is reading the book- so fold your arms and snarl if you like- it will only serve to show you have no business sense whatsoever.

No, I won't be sending anyone an "e-book", as I printed 5,000 copies of a real book and if you would like that you know how to get it. We've packed up more than 1500 thus far and shipped them all over the country. I don't need to give you any more biographical information, it's all available and public knowledge at this point, perfectly itemized in the book, which you can get for free when you remove your head from your backside and go to one of about 70 inspection events this season! The reviews will keep coming in, and you'll still be posting ignorant statements over $15.

Wow. Business must be going well!

Dom D'Agostino
09-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Nathan,

Even if you've penned the best book in the world, your written responses in this thread cast you in a negative light.

You made your offer in the first post. No need to use hyperbole and sarcasm to counter anyone's questions.

Certainly you could have anticipated a spirited discussion when you offered a discount for a book review.

Dom.

Bob Elliott
09-11-2012, 07:19 AM
The amount of ignorance and sarcasm on this thread points out why many avoid the forum here.

Nathan has promised me a copy and I withhold all comments on the book till it is read plus have personally met Nathan because unlike many of the Jackels here I actually Inspect and attend association meetings combined with seminars including the the ASHI meeting where Nathan attended this summer .

I am a NACHI member but attended a ASHI meeting (go figure).:)

Read the damn book,talk to Nathan,examine his services and what he has to offer before making idiots of yourselves.
When clients call do they microscope everything in your past in this manner ?

Nathans ideas are just that...ideas.I doubt any of the goofball commentators here have a clue what his services are.

Certain forum regulars here pull down the entire industry and are an embarrassment to us all.
I do not 100% agree with everything Nathan thinks but certainly am not poking in the dark with a dumb stick either.

Dom D'Agostino
09-11-2012, 08:01 AM
The amount of ignorance and sarcasm on this thread points out why many avoid the forum here.

You could say that about any and every BB, Bob. They all have regulars and some folks don't like them.

Nathan has promised me a copy...

He offered a partial discount on the shipping charges in exchange for a review. That opened up the obvious questions that followed.

unlike many of the Jackels here I actually Inspect

An unnecessary insult, as you yourself have posted here over 800 times.

Certain forum regulars here pull down the entire industry and are an embarrassment to us all.

Again, You could say that about any and every BB.

It always takes two sides to have a conflict, and both sides are guilty is this thread.

Dom.

Ken Rowe
09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself.

Actually, we're trying to give Nathan credit. We want to know his background and expertise on the subject. If he would simply answer the question we could move on. However, Nathan has chosen to discredit himself by claiming to be an expert but not giving any verifiable information.

Mike, for those of you who know Nathan and personally met him, please tell us the name of the inspection company he worked for 10 years ago and grew its business from 5,000 to 7,000 inspections in a year so we can verify his credentials and move on.

Mike Rosato
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
This sounds like political rhetoric, "show me your tax return", "show me your birth certificate", "I built my business with no help from anyone", nor will my ego let me accept advice or apply what works. Go ahead and keep trying to reinvent the wheel, or shall I say the wagon wheel. I'd rather apply theories many businesses have historically used to expand and saturate and what I was taught in business school--That and add my own experience. (I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed. Why are you so hell bent on his credentials and resume? Besides, he talks about it in the book. Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.

Signed, Newbie

Ken, I have never met Nathan or any of the other guys by the way, I can just recognize progress.

BTW, this is all said in love for the industry and business :)

Jerry Peck
09-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I've been following this thread to see where it went, and it went where one would expect it to go when it starts off with:

1) Buy my book.
2) Review my book ... (wait a dang minute here, usually one is PAID to "review" something, one does not have to PAY for the privilege of "reviewing" something ...)
3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)

If you really wanted some people to "review" your book, you would have sent them copies, hard, printed, copies which are easier to read and review, and then you would await their reviews with eagerness ... instead of trying to *sell* your book with the prospect of getting some of the money back for a review.

I think I just saw the ground move where P. T. Barnum just sat up in his grave and said "Dang! Why didn't I ever think of that!' ... followed by ... 'Oh, wait, I remember, I DID think of that, but I knew I had to get the people in the gate FIRST ... THEN I sucker their money from them ... '

Dan Harris
09-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.

Signed, Newbie

Ken, I have never met Nathan or any of the other guys by the way, I can just recognize progress.

Mike... If you search this site you will find several detailed posts from different inspectors providing FREE information on how a certain type of marketing helped their business grow.
With the exception of this post, all of the other posts state what the inspector did, how they did it, and what the results were.

Out of of the recommendations, on this site, and the nacho site, I have yet see one explaining how the information in this book affected YOUR/their business's.
All iv'e seen is hype on how great the "book" is , and nothing beyond you gotta get with the times and buy this book.
Did you go from 1-2 inspections, 5-10 inspection a week, 50-1000 per year???
When you put all of the stuff to work from the book did you have to hire someone to answer your phones, and hire inspectors to keep up with the sudden amount of new realtors begging you to do their clients inspections.

Ken Rowe
09-11-2012, 09:49 AM
This sounds like political rhetoric, "show me your tax return", "show me your birth certificate", "I built my business with no help from anyone", nor will my ego let me accept advice or apply what works. Go ahead and keep trying to reinvent the wheel, or shall I say the wagon wheel. I'd rather apply theories many businesses have historically used to expand and saturate and what I was taught in business school--That and add my own experience. (I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed. Why are you so hell bent on his credentials and resume?

So you're saying we're just supposed to blindly believe what he says without any evidence to back up his theories?

Besides, he talks about it in the book. Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.

I'm trying to do my own research, but it seems the author is refusing to verify his credentials. Since he "talks about it in the book" you can tell us the name of the inspection company he worked for.

Dan Harris
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
(I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed.
Signed, Newbie

Mike .. Are you are aware that there are legal restrictions in some states on inspectors providing value added services.
In AZ an inspector can be fined up to $2000 per illegal action, and even loose his Lic.

Do you know the one's in your state?

Are those restrictions disclosed in this book?

Can you be charged with a felony for helping promote possible illegal actions? :)

Sine you claimed to not know Nathan and just happened to pop up on this site after this post,
Are you being paid, via cash, or recieve a discount on Nathans products to recommend this "book" ?

Mike Rosato
09-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Unbelievable...I'm not even going to entertain most of the responses, but I will address some. Dan regarding questioning my ethics and integrity. No, there is nothing unethical happening in my business or in the book. No one has suggested making agents your alignment over the client, or giving agents a kick back, or watering down reports, or not following SOP's and ethics. That would be as unethical as what's going on with your slander. Step down from the high horse dude and please enlighten me as to what is going on that is unethical. Please don't just give me your opinion, give me something that is sanctionable by the governing bodies in this industry. Show me where it is written or the governing bodies and ethics committees are saying don't use and offer the services mentioned in the book. Offering value added services, TO YOUR CLIENT, the home buyer is not unethical. I suggest you look up the theory value added service, in a business book because it seems you have it synonymous with the word unethical or gimmick. By the way, I'm almost done with the book and it is great and has good things to offer if you are willing to see it..

100% truth, I have never met Nathan and I subscribed to his services before I bought the book. I bought the book because I am a business professional and for research purposes--fifteen dollars does not break the bank and I will not refuse progress and cut off my nose to spite my face under the guise of screaming he is not credible and experienced enough.

You better believe I'm going to introduce myself to him in Vegas this year though because he offers a great product to offer my clients. I would offer to buy him a drink, but I will probably get accused of being unethical.

Mike Rosato
Beacon Property Inspections
Home Inspections in Riverside, Temecula, Murrieta, Moreno Valley and San Diego
(http://www.riverside-home-inspections.com)

Richard Skalski
09-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I've been following this thread to see where it went, and it went where one would expect it to go when it starts off with:

1) Buy my book.
2) Review my book ... (wait a dang minute here, usually one is PAID to "review" something, one does not have to PAY for the privilege of "reviewing" something ...)
3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)

Jerry, normally you don't miss a thing, normally.

for a limited time only
:p

Jerry Peck
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Jerry, normally you don't miss a thing, normally.

for a limited time only

Then what?

Wait! If you call within the next TEN MINUTES you will send ANOTHER BOOK ABSOLUTELY FREE! A $399 value FREE! (Just pay separate shipping and handling.) :D

Wait! That is not all! We will DOUBLE the above special if you call within the next ten minutes! (Just pay separate shipping and handling.) :eek:

BridgeMan
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
BTW, S & H on that additional book will be just $59.95!

Dan Harris
09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Guys.. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this book.
After reading the reviews from this site
The Hungry Home Inspector - Page 5 - InterNACHI Inspection Forum (http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/hungry-home-inspector-74817/index5.html#post947024)

and hearing what Mike R has to say about the book on this site. He strongly recommends buying it , even though he hasn't finished reading the book yet.

I don't know and cannot say for sure but we might be missing out on the most important book that's ever been offered that can change our lives , our ways of doing business and make us millions. :)

BridgeMan
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
So the real question remains--why has Mr. Thornberry (or his boosters on this site) refused to answer a few simple questions regarding his background and credentials?

And he also hasn't responded to my request for him to mail me the book so I can do a review for him.

Joseph Hagarty
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
So the real question remains--why has Mr. Thornberry (or his boosters on this site) refused to answer a few simple questions regarding his background and credentials?

And he also hasn't responded to my request for him to mail me the book so I can do a review for him.

Spoken by someone truly concerned about others "Hiding" behind their own background....

"Bridgeman" ...

:) LOL

BridgeMan
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Well, that's one cheerleader for Thornberry--better than nothing, I guess.

But still no responses/answers to the questions asked of the book peddler.

And FWIW, if knowing my name is that important enough for anyone, all it takes is a quick glance at my introductory post, available from my profile. I'm not currently active in performing home inspections, and didn't think using it (or not) was such a big deal. Sorry for clouding up your thought processes, Hagarty.

Trust me, if I had authored and was trying to sell a book, I would jump at the chance to answer any/all legitimate questions regarding my experience and background. Wouldn't anyone (at least those who have nothing to hide)? Makes absolutely no sense not to--unless the truth is too damaging.

Joseph Hagarty
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, that's one cheerleader for Thornberry--better than nothing, I guess.

But still no responses/answers to the questions asked of the book peddler.

And FWIW, if knowing my name is that important enough for anyone, all it takes is a quick glance at my introductory post, available from my profile. I'm not currently active in performing home inspections, and didn't think using it (or not) was such a big deal. Sorry for clouding up your thought processes, Hagarty.

Trust me, if I had authored and was trying to sell a book, I would jump at the chance to answer any/all legitimate questions regarding my experience and background. Wouldn't anyone (at least those who have nothing to hide)? Makes absolutely no sense not to--unless the truth is too damaging.

You know who I am...
If you are willing to make accusations of others...
Let them know who you are...
and not where you are hiding (under a bridge)...

BridgeMan
09-13-2012, 12:05 AM
All right, Hagarty's goading has gotten to me. My name is Michael Kober, semi-retired professional engineer (licensed in 7 states), and former home inspector.

Let me spin my credentials a bit, like Thornberry does. I've actively inspected only 3500+ bridges and buildings in 12 states during my 40+ year career, working privately and for 2 state DOTs. However, because I've worked as a bridge inspection instructor for the National Highway Institute on multiple occasions, under the auspices of the National Bridge Inspection Standards, which is responsible for the inspection of the nation's 605,000+ bridges, I'll pull a Thornberry--"I've been actively involved in inspecting more than 605,000 structures in the last 40 years."

Now, if you'll send me some money, I'd like you to review my book (when I get around to writing it).

Aaron Miller
09-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Just another shoveleena (Texas talk for shovel-leaner) from the HI pick and shovel brigade with a sad, sordid story to tell. Dime a dozen.

Raymond Wand
09-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Just another shoveleena (Texas talk for shovel-leaner) from the HI pick and shovel brigade with a sad, sordid story to tell. Dime a dozen.

Now... that was funny!

BridgeMan
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Bless your sweet little heart, Aaron! You are so clever!

John Remark
09-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Bless you sweet heart :-) Now that is too funny-- Tell us what you really think of him :-)

Aaron Miller
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Tell us what you really think of him
I assure you that the feeling is mutual all around.

Garry Sorrells
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Rick said in another thread that the 12 persons that contributed amount to about a page per person out of a 150 page book. Which is informative.

Thanks to Rick C. at least it is known that he book is 150 pages. He had other things to say about the book but you can read them for your selves.

Like Jerry said :
"1) Buy my book.
3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)"

Why is there a problem with a more technical description of the book?

Nathan,
Ken is not asking for your birth cert. just a simple delineation of the background that went into the writing of the book.. He wants to be able to connect with you. You do not have to be so defensive just answer his simple questions. He is just trying to understand exactly where you are coming from. You seem to take the same tact as Lisa E. and work so hard at not answering a direct question. Hey you may be another Zig Ziglar, met him 1st back in the 70s and have his books also. He hyped himself but he also would not hesitate to answer any question put to him. He had a philosophy that was translated into method. Some usable some not, you used and adapted to your own situation. So, why not answer Ken's questions ? Really think it would have taken less time and effort on your part.

We do not want Ken to go home and kick his cat. (from a Ziglar story)

Nathan Thornberry
09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I assure you that the feeling is mutual all around.

Yes, I'm sure it is Aaron.

The book is a first of it's kind frankly, and if you read it right, it should feel like a conversation with you about your home inspection business. Unfortunately I couldn't write one specifically for every home inspector out there, but I think it covers them pretty good and the reviews seem to back me up there.

But let's have a conversation with Aaron for a moment. An important one Aaron, and you don't even have to buy the book to get this...:)

Let me tell you a couple of things that you might have picked up had you joined myself and Dominic Maricic for instance at any one of the events we presented to inspectors at....or one of these events I'm doing with the "evil" Nick Gromicko...or if you had read the book instead of criticizing something you've never read and a person you've never met.

1. Your website is awesome! For me! Why? Because a number of my clients are advertising on it. You are allowing this to happen, you've made a poor business decision to be advertising my clients, for the pennies a month those ads might drive to you or worse yet just support a free website or something. I want to personally thank you for driving business to the more savvy inspectors (excuse me, the dummies who listen to me and other contributors to the book) who are advertising to your clients on most pages of your website!

2. You obviously don't have Google Analytics installed on your site. If you did, you'd know that you're losing 60%+ of the visitors on your pricing page. You really don't want to be publishing your pricing out there anyway because you want them to CALL YOU, but to put that novel of a pricing methodology out really shows you have been avoiding these "evil salespeople" a lot!

Aaron- Do NOT buy my book. I beg you not to. If you do, my clients won't be able to poach your potential clients off your pricing page and you'd probably fix the other couple dozen things that are wrong with your site too that are costing you money every single day.

You have a lot going for you, just a few changes could make a huge difference for you. And when I say A LOT- I mean it. You have a great logo, a lot of experience, you accept American Express (most won't do that), and you're in a huge market.

If we could only pry that closed mind open just enough...

Aaron Miller
09-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Aaron- Do NOT buy my book. I beg you not to.

Nathan, get off your knees. I promise not to buy your book; really I do.

Your lackluster attempt at an assessment (d.b.a. assassination) of my business savvy is indicative of your nature. You make money by sniping others and then selling them bandages and ointments to mend their wounds. Like your comrades in the HI pick and shovel brigade, and in all other old-school American businesses, you first create the symptoms, then the disease, the cure, and finally the cures for the contraindications which present themselves following the cure. And, did I mention, all for an exorbitant fee?

There is a word for that sort of person. But, hey, we're all friends here, right?

Garry Sorrells
09-17-2012, 05:01 AM

And the answer is ???

Not for lack of time from the number and length of the postings.:rolleyes:
There has to be another reason..........What could it be ????

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Nathan, get off your knees. I promise not to buy your book; really I do.

Your lackluster attempt at an assessment (d.b.a. assassination) of my business savvy is indicative of your nature. You make money by sniping others and then selling them bandages and ointments to mend their wounds. Like your comrades in the HI pick and shovel brigade, and in all other old-school American businesses, you first create the symptoms, then the disease, the cure, and finally the cures for the contraindications which present themselves following the cure. And, did I mention, all for an exorbitant fee?

There is a word for that sort of person. But, hey, we're all friends here, right?

Alright, so please let me know what I created and name one thing I do for an "exorbitant" fee. Last time I checked, the most expensive thing I sell to home inspectors was $15 if they chose to pay for it...of course most of our clients get a lot of our stuff for free. I don't offer consulting, I don't sell air, what is it exactly that you think I do?

Hank Spinnler
09-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Nathan, are you going to name the inspection company you claimed to have increase inspections for 10 years ago?

Security Home Inspections, Carmel, IN

I was receptive to getting my hands on some new inspection related material so I went ahead and ordered one. It came with 3 audio CD's which was a nice surprise. Listened to the final yesterday afternoon on the way home from an inspection.

I think Nathan did a good job in the writing and reading. He provides a variety of food for thought, debunking a few myths and providing anecdotes. There were some plugs interspersed for his own list of services as well as vendors with products and services such as software and coaching. I think Nathan spends a a noticeable amount of time trying to build credibility for himself and others, while the listener just has to listen. That's the thing about books from "experts" in a given field. It's a one-way conversation. I thought to myself sometimes, "Hey, what about my experiences and the differences in my approach based on my market?"

In my opinion, he does make some generalizations about the inspection business as a whole, including the mindset of inspectors operating as "technicians" instead of business owners. All I can say is that you have to wear a lot of hats to be successful. I enjoyed the story about Carleton Sheets. I probably still have the cassettes somewhere. LOL. Either way, it's definitely worth the read and I have the CD's to listen to whenever I want.

Ken Rowe
09-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Security Home Inspections, Carmel, IN

Thank you. Why couldn't Nathan have answered this days ago. Would have prevented some negative posts I think.

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Thank you. Why couldn't Nathan have answered this days ago. Would have prevented some negative posts I think.

You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?

Dan Harris
09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?

LOL.. 114 posts, You did good, straight from ole nickies aka lisa hand book. Create a post with little information, act like the victom, slam a couple posters to keep it going, all to create more free advertizing..
I did notice you used "we" instead of I , another misleading word you suggest to help it look like you are more than one person.. :D

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 07:49 AM
LOL.. 114 posts, You did good, straight from ole nickies aka lisa hand book. Create a post with little information, act like the victom, slam a couple posters to keep it going, all to create more free advertizing..
I did notice you used "we" instead of I , another misleading word you suggest to help it look like you are more than one person.. :D

In our case, "We're" 35 people and growing...but there's nothing wrong with small either. In 2002 my warranty company was one person- and "we" were on our way! lol

Aaron Miller
09-17-2012, 08:43 AM
what is it exactly that you think I do?

@ Nathan: Snake oil comes to mind.

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Yes, we get that, everyone knows what you think of vendors in general, but once again what problem is it that I created and what do I sell for an exorbitant amount of money?

Dan Harris
09-17-2012, 08:50 AM
In our case, "We're" 35 people and growing...but there's nothing wrong with small either. In 2002 my warranty company was one person- and "we" were on our way! lol

From the comment by Steven T on the review post on this topic, it looks like maybe you should make it 36 people so you can reply to your private emails in a timely manner from poential customers, instead of making excuses that your too busy to reply :D

Free Marketing tip, for the others, [ I'm sure the expert book writing/ marketing geru Nathan knows this :)]
NEVER tell a poential client that you've been too busy, or make excuses explaining why you didn't reply to their email . :)

Aaron Miller
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
what do I sell for an exorbitant amount of money?

@ Nathan: The expression is, in this case, applied metaphorically to products and services with questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit. That seems to cover all that you have offered here, e.g. insurance, non-existent credentials, self-help books, . . . did I miss something?

Ken Rowe
09-17-2012, 10:39 AM

I didn't know the answer until it was posted in the forum. But your response shows what type of person you are.

Garry Sorrells
09-17-2012, 10:48 AM
There seems to be dissenting reviews and opinions at the InterHachi message forum also.

Why not turn the thread into examples of how to embellish a experience ?
Or how to market yourself in a better light.

Such as:

Embellished:
Marketing and Direct Sales Director for Sylvania light bulbs.
or
Fund raiser for Boy Scouts of America.

Actual:
Sold Sylvania light bulbs door to door to raise money for Boy Scout troop in the 60's, at age of 12.

Anyone else have a story to embellish ?

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
From the comment by Steven T on the review post on this topic, it looks like maybe you should make it 36 people so you can reply to your private emails in a timely manner from poential customers, instead of making excuses that your too busy to reply :D

Free Marketing tip, for the others, [ I'm sure the expert book writing/ marketing geru Nathan knows this :)]
NEVER tell a poential client that you've been too busy, or make excuses explaining why you didn't reply to their email . :)

You're absolutely right. Not to get political, but I get really frustrated at how hard it is to get more people...supposedly a tough job market but I don't have a line at the door either. But yes, a 36th would be great. Working my way through 'em today as promised!

Rick Cantrell
09-17-2012, 04:27 PM
And the answer is ???

Not for lack of time from the number and length of the postings.:rolleyes:
There has to be another reason..........What could it be ????

I believe you can find that information here
Posted Saturday morning about 9:15 am. Post #10
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/other-education/32278-hungry-home-inspector.html

Dan Harris
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Snake oil???
Between the nacho site with 74 replies and 1685 views, and this site with 132 replies and over 1800 views I have yet to see any inspector claim Nathan or any of Nathans products helped them get new business, or even help them with past customers

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Snake oil???
Between the nacho site with 74 replies and 1685 views, and this site with 132 replies and over 1800 views I have yet to see any inspector claim Nathan or any of Nathans products helped them get new business, or even help them with past customers

These were threads about the book. If you're looking for testimonials about me, just search "RecallChek" in Google or on the forums. You'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...or you could just use our stuff for free like many have and judge for yourself rather than allowing anyone else's opinion to guide your decisionmaking process- including mine.

Here's a few videos for you, maybe more information would be a good thing ---> Sell More DVD | Inspector Services Group (http://inspectorservicesgroup.com/top-2-0/sell-more-dvd)

Dan Harris
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
These were threads about the book. If you're looking for testimonials about me, just search "RecallChek" in Google or on the forums. You'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...or you could just use our stuff for free like many have and judge for yourself rather than allowing anyone else's opinion to guide your decisionmaking process- including mine.

Here's a few videos for you, maybe more information would be a good thing ---> Sell More DVD | Inspector Services Group (http://inspectorservicesgroup.com/top-2-0/sell-more-dvd)

LOL Just another post that indicates you do not read whats posted, and just looking for another chance to get a free ad.

Here's what you link states

Differentiate Your Company

Reduce Liability

Increase Profitability

Save Money and Increase Profits

Create Value

Sell More Radon Testing Now

Increase Efficiency

You can twist words any way you want, or ignor comments all you want.
The fact is, Not - 1[ One] inspector [out of over 3500 views] claimed your products work, not to mention not one inspector claimed to use any of your marketing/ gimmicks to get new homeowners address's and contact information helped them get new or past business...

Nathan Thornberry
09-17-2012, 07:39 PM
LOL Just another post that indicates you do not read whats posted, and just looking for another chance to get a free ad.

Here's what you link states

Differentiate Your Company

Reduce Liability

Increase Profitability

Save Money and Increase Profits

Create Value

Sell More Radon Testing Now

Increase Efficiency

You can twist words any way you want, or ignor comments all you want.
The fact is, Not - 1[ One] inspector [out of over 3500 views] claimed your products work, not to mention not one inspector claimed to use any of your marketing/ gimmicks to get new homeowners address's and contact information helped them get new or past business...

Why would I need a free ad? My ads are all over this site. That doesn't make any sense. My stuff works, inspectors keep using it, that's why those ads are there.

Did you do the search as I suggested to see what customers say? On the InterNACHI forum for instance you'll find numerous threads like one entitled "RecallChek, the good the bad and the ugly...". I'd be happy to invite you to inspector groups on facebook (closed groups) for our inspector clients if you'd send me a message on Facebook (just go to NathanThornberry.com). I don't understand exactly what you're looking for, I certainly wouldn't expect client testimonials being posted on one of these book threads. That doesn't seem reasonable.

Ken Rowe
09-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Why would I need a free ad? My ads are all over this site.

Double talk, hidden agendas...a true politician.

Nathan Thornberry
09-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Double talk, hidden agendas...a true politician.

Got back to all those emails that were being alluded to earlier in the thread, thanks for your patience all!

Ken, vote for me! What was all that talk earlier of wanting to "help me out"? It was all a load of crap... OBVIOUSLY. It was obvious from the beginning of this thread and every other one you've ever participated in where I posted as well. It worked a little I suppose, you actually had a couple guys thinking I was avoiding your questions that didn't understand the bitter tone of your petulant hounding.

Just an FYI- I wasn't avoiding your questions before, I have nothing to hide and nothing to prove to you sir at the same time.

At home again today? LOL

Ken Rowe
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Actually I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and the chance to answer the question regarding your back ground. Days went by without a response from you until finally someone else gave the answer. You never did answer the question and now are flip flopping on your intentions of this thread. You left your own impression...don't try to blame anyone else.

By the way, I wrote that before doing my three inspections today. All without selling my client's information to people like you.

Garry Sorrells
09-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Nathan,
Now understanding that your underlying interest in not answering direct questions is reveling. I had higher expectations and hoped those expectations would be justified. Using a Straw Man argument to generate discussion was a poor decision predicated on a poor motive.

Good sales are based on truth and veracity. Bad sales are based on half truths and inferences. It seems that you may prefer the later and justify that type by your precised volume. When in fact the former would generate a higher volume unless the value is just not there. The philosophy of "do anything to make a sale" and "any sale is a good sale" is based on ethics.

I have pulled some excerpts from your postings from which offers some insight into the original posting and subsequent direction of the thread. It is disheartening for what seems your intent and purpose.

. You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?

.....The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?

.....No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue- ,,,,,,,,

...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken. .....

[quote=Ken Rowe;207992]....You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field? .....

..... I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition. .........

The last quote is shows a lack of simple understand that there is no bar being set. You may be apprehensive to be graded by others on your background or how you state your background. Simple questions, but without real answers other than seemingly having a fear of a potential negative response or actual scrutiny for truthfulness....

The underlying issue is that you have reservations, insecurity, on the book being judged by your background. So you deflect the questions on background. You can not have it booth ways. You can not present your self and at the same time say do not look at the author. The book is portrayed as a business tool based on experiences. It is fair to look at what made up those experiences to accentuate the proposed concepts.

There are two ways to go
Believe and you will understand . or
Understand and you will believe.
The latter is a thinking approach. Which you seem to fear.

But the bottom line is that your goal was not to substantiate but to promulgate. Which is lame, but you have been successful. If that is your measure of success.

Do not misconstrue being truthful and honest as argumentative and negative. Take it a constructive criticism.

Joseph Melbourne
09-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Well all this daily discussion has peaked my interest. Just ordered the book, figured it will be something to read on my five hour flight to Vegas conference. And, maybe I will pick up some tips on inproving my cash flow.

Dan Harris
09-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Well all this daily discussion has peaked my interest. Just ordered the book, figured it will be something to read on my five hour flight to Vegas conference. And, maybe I will pick up some tips on inproving my cash flow.

LOL.. That was Nathans intent. He is succeding in selling his book. Nobody ever heard of his book until he made his post.
If I do free advertizing and sell a few items, I'll take a verbal beating over no sales at all everyday.
I have to wonder if this is one of his marketing suggestions in the book
If not maybe he should write a second book and include it., along with some of the crap his mentor NG suggests. :D

Bob Elliott
09-27-2012, 10:39 AM
LOL.. That was Nathans intent. He is succeding in selling his book. Nobody ever heard of his book until he made his post.
If I do free advertizing and sell a few items, I'll take a verbal beating over no sales at all everyday.
I have to wonder if this is one of his marketing suggestions in the book
If not maybe he should write a second book and include it., along with some of the crap his mentor NG suggests. :D

If you need the second book you have not read the first one is my guess.
Going to start reading it sometime today.

Nicks suggestions defiantly work and like all large groups of ideas simply need to be Cherry picked to suit personal business models.

NACHI is not a Charity and neither are Nathans services therefore if you get something out of it so do they which is the basis of capitalism.

Bob Elliott
09-27-2012, 05:55 PM
About a third of the way through and am highlighting along the way.
Seems to get better as it goes.

Yes there is a "Nathans Services" rocks message but it is also very thought provoking and I will be taking a bigger picture look at my own service as a result of all the ideas swirling around my head so far.

Nothing new I have not actually heard before but is inspiring to a certain extent.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
guys

read the flaming book if you want. my business is great--every month is better then the last month last year and the two before. so i prefer to read books on codes and lastest inspection education to help my self and clients. this is a stupid thread and you should be writing an inspection report instead of a 200 letter rebuttal--

get real all

Hank Spinnler
09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
guys

read the flaming book if you want. my business is great--every month is better then the last month last year and the two before. so i prefer to read books on codes and lastest inspection education to help my self and clients. this is a stupid thread and you should be writing an inspection report instead of a 200 letter rebuttal--

get real all

A stupid comment on a stupid thread. That's fitting.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
09-27-2012, 07:03 PM
what ever hank=at least you didn't write 300 words-thanks -guess like me you haven,t read the 300 word rants above or have you? it's old, such a waste of educational time that is forum is all about.

don,t need the book-need more golf time--busy busy busy--how about you??
again better tech education is my way to go on this web instead of- i can make you a better inspector. don't need it this is a stupid thread- agree or not hank--it has gone on to long--just saying ---lets write some helpful threads--either buy the book or don,t buy it--move on everyone --do you need the book Hank--if so read it and let the rest of this forum know how it helped you --sure they will reply in 300 words or more

cvf

cvf

Bob Elliott
09-27-2012, 08:03 PM
guys

get real all

Interesting ,as you took the time to get mad at a book you never read.
What is your motivation?

The whole point of the book is simply doing a great job inspecting is not superior marketing as most of us that have been around are all pretty much good at what we do .

The point of the book is making money which most certainly is a good subject for those of us not doing it for charity or as a retirement supplement as some here are.

Still reading and will finish it tomorrow.
Reading and learning business or marketing are never a waste of time.

Benjamin Thompson
09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice job Nathan! Very good book promotion and marketing! This forum will get you as much exposure as a segment on O'Reilly! I'll bet your sales have quadrupled!

Nathan Thornberry
09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice job Nathan! Very good book promotion and marketing! This forum will get you as much exposure as a segment on O'Reilly! I'll bet your sales have quadrupled!

True, though every book I sell costs me money...but it's worth it!

It's interesting to watch how inspectors react to just the word "marketing". It's almost forbidden in a technician's vocabulary, and it's a shame, because I'm pretty sure even the least pleasant personalities on this MB are really good at what they do- no matter what they say to me I want them to do what they do for more home buyers.

Dan Harris
09-27-2012, 09:35 PM

It's interesting to watch how inspectors react to just the word "marketing". It's almost forbidden in a technician's vocabulary, and it's a shame, because I'm pretty sure even the least pleasant personalities on this MB are really good at what they do- no matter what they say to me I want them to do what they do for more home buyers.

What a load of crap. Nathans here telling us we need to buy his book to make more money. Then he claims out of the goodness of his heart he's loosing money selling the book to us..

Yooo Nathan .. You think we are stupid enough to believe your crap?
If so, read your dang marketing book and make money,:) or are you playing the same game NG/aka lisa plays when he/she says everthing he offers is FREE on this site to get more hits to scam us by his selling other crap. ?

Business tip .. go to this site Booklet - GotPrint (http://gotprint.net/g/uploadBooklet.do)

they will print you 5000-96 pg books for less than $2.00 a book ..

Nathan Thornberry
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
What a load of crap. Nathans here telling us we need to buy his book to make more money. Then he claims out of the goodness of his heart he's loosing money selling the book to us..

Yooo Nathan .. You think we are stupid enough to believe your crap?
If so, read your dang marketing book and make money,:) or are you playing the same game NG/aka lisa plays when he/she says everthing he offers is FREE on this site to get more hits to scam us by his selling other crap. ?

Business tip .. go to this site Booklet - GotPrint (http://gotprint.net/g/uploadBooklet.do)

they will print you 5000-96 pg books for less than $2.00 a book ..

If you want to print a cheap book, go right ahead. This is premium printing and just over 200 pages...but there's much more cost that goes into a book than printing it if you do it right. ISBN numbers, UPC's, a ton of design and layout time, a professional editor, shipping on an 18-wheeler, repackaging and distribution...it's a lot of work.

There's a 3-part audio CD as well by the way.

Dan Harris
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Woow, I feel honored, with out requesting it, Nathan send me a free book and he even paid $4.90 for the postage. :)

When I opened the package my 1st thought was dang, ole Nathan is using the method used by the Mormans and 7 day adventist to spread their word/ book. :D

I guess since I was blessed to recieve his "book" i'll take the time to read it over the hoilidays and post my review.:D

Nathan Thornberry
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Woow, I feel honored, with out requesting it, Nathan send me a free book and he even paid $4.90 for the postage. :)

When I opened the package my 1st thought was dang, ole Nathan is using the method used by the Mormans and 7 day adventist to spread their word/ book. :D

I guess since I was blessed to recieve his "book" i'll take the time to read it over the hoilidays and post my review.:D

I was calculating...I mean "selective" in my methods...Enjoy!

Dan Harris
12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I was calculating...I mean "selective" in my methods...Enjoy!

Well heres my review on what I got out of of Ch 1

Nathan stuck his finger in a light bulb socket and got shocked when he was 6, he claims he's been shocked many times , but something about that first time was just really exciting.

His parents, well his mom specifically, fired him not once , not twice but a total of three times

Nathon figured out he likes eating steak and wants us to be like him and will be hungry for more
:D :D :D

Nathan Thornberry
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Well heres my review on what I got out of of Ch 1

Nathan stuck his finger in a light bulb socket and got shocked when he was 6, he claims he's been shocked many times , but something about that first time was just really exciting.

His parents, well his mom specifically, fired him not once , not twice but a total of three times

Nathon figured out he likes eating steak and wants us to be like him and will be hungry for more
:D :D :D

You might consider summarizing sometime after chapter 6, but kudos for starting already! It's a quick read- you'll be done in two hours.

Garry Sorrells
12-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Dan,
Didn't you see the memo attached to the book on how to review it?:rolleyes:

Dan Harris
12-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Dan,
Didn't you see the memo attached to the book on how to review it?:rolleyes:

I think he forgot that part.:D

My overall review.
Considering he was kind enough to send the book at no charge I'll be respectful :)
Over all I guess the information/stories provided could be useful to newbys that are starting out with out any prior business experience, and are desperate to get an inspection by what ever way it takes.

From reading the contribuations from some of the multi inspection company guys, M Crow, Gromiko, and a coupe others, it looks like their, and Nates focus is marketing to get a new customer everytime, via offering freebies and kissing up to realtors.

It looks like most of the information provided most think like Gromiko, in his statment provided in the book.
" There is almost no salesmanship involved in the home inspection business, Success relies solely on marketing. "
I guess with that theory some believe we are better off treating our HI business like a used car sales lot or a pizza business opposed to selling ourselves , our knowledge and our experience.

I may of missed it .
I did not see any reference, or suggestions about the importance of cont. ed. hanging out with other inspectors, locally or nationaly, and providing a professional service to get referrals from your existing customers.
I did see the suggestion if you screw up, admit it and correct it.

Apx 60% of the book focuses on making your business grow, mostly by marketing to realtors and hiring employes to do the work, and by giving his products away for free. 30% focuses on upselling to make more per inspection and 5% taking care of our existing customers

The other 5% of the book I don't have a clue what he was talking about, he may of stuck his finger in another light socket when he wrote that stuff. :)

As one thats owned two other business's and had employees for over 20 years, the information provided reminds me why I no longer want employees and why I'm glad to be a 1 man shop, and am happy with my small piece of the pie.

Over all I'll give it a 5-6 for newbys, experienced guys a 2-3

I'll make sure to attend his presenation at IW and see if that changes my mind.

Garry Sorrells
12-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Dan,
Interesting review.
Had the feeling it was more about selling a product and nothing about the quality of the product. Adding fluff to make the product seem larger and better than it really is to gain sale numbers at any cost to personal integrity, ethics and morals. Something like painting the hooves of the pig to make it prettier not better.

Had the thought come to mind that the reason that he sent you a free book was due to the lack of noise about it. Not really interested in a review just to generate some noise, site view #s. More Marketing.........go figure. Makeing you part of his marketing model.

Dan Harris
12-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Dan,

Had the thought come to mind that the reason that he sent you a free book was due to the lack of noise about it. Not really interested in a review just to generate some noise, site view #s. More Marketing.........go figure. Makeing you part of his marketing model.

I had the same thought. Despite that, since he sent me the book at no charge, and since he does pay to bring this site to us for free I took the time to see what it was all about and tried to be neutral .
He did take a lot of time to do the book and I really believe he's proud of his product, and believes in the way he thinks our HI business should be run.

He does have a few lines about marketing to realtors that would make Ted proud :)
To help delay additional negitave comments, which commonly bring the most hits I left them out. :D

Ted Menelly
12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I had the same thought. Despite that, since he sent me the book at no charge, and since he does pay to bring this site to us for free I took the time to see what it was all about and tried to be neutral .
He did take a lot of time to do the book and I really believe he's proud of his product, and believes in the way he thinks our HI business should be run.

He does have a few lines about marketing to realtors that would make Ted proud :)
To help delay additional negitave comments, which commonly bring the most hits I left them out. :D

I watched a few videos. I got the drift on who it is that one is suppose to impress.

I am trying to be real nice about attacking folks and this whole Realtors thing as of late. I know it gets old. I have also said on many of occasions on here and in the real world that if one truely wants to make a serious amount of money they do need to market the hell out of, kiss the shaded side of, smile to, kiss up to, act like you like even though you don't........Realtors.

It is not that you don't like them because I have met a lot of Realtors that I do like. It is just the entire concept and controversy of and that nasty little thing called getting most of you direct work from the direct referrals from folks that are hanging in the wings waiting to make thousands on a sale of a proerty you are inspecting. Now that is whether you are the most honest upright inspector or the lowest form of being....there is still that shadowed question on every single buyers mind even if they use that realtors direct referral and actually thought the inspector was fantastic.

Is there some kind of ethics issue we should be concerned with darling?????? Shouldn't we just find our own inspector................Oh, I know, lets call Ted :D:D:D and that's how I get all my work.

Have a wonderful Christmas gentlemen (and those that are not) and a very happy and prosperous New Year.

I love you all to pieces.

Garry Sorrells
12-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Chicken....bac...bac...bac..bac...;)

Nathan Thornberry
12-31-2012, 08:14 AM
See you at the presentation, Dan. I hope you enjoy it!

There were a select few inspectors I sent the book to, and I had criteria for that. It wasn't necessarily people that would put things in a positive light- and if you read Dan's review where he gave me a 2/3 (I'm assuming out of 5 :)) for experienced home inspectors, he couldn't help but point to some positive attributes. It basically went...

Good thing, not so good thing, good thing, I don't even know about this other thing, and I don't know if I want to run a business in the way prescribed (in Dan's case because he had been there before).

I give your review a "10" (out of 10).

See you in Vegas.

Raymond Wand
12-31-2012, 08:44 AM
I would like to know about inspectors subscribing to such things as Alarm Referrals for example.

From what I understand, an inspector can recommend an alarm program to his client. If the client chooses to have an alarm installed as referred to by the inspector how does the alarm company reward the inspector?

Nathan Thornberry
12-31-2012, 10:14 AM
I would like to know about inspectors subscribing to such things as Alarm Referrals for example.

From what I understand, an inspector can recommend an alarm program to his client. If the client chooses to have an alarm installed as referred to by the inspector how does the alarm company reward the inspector?

Go to Alarm Leads | Inspector Services Group (http://www.AlarmLeadsProgram.com) and watch the video. We have several options.

It's important to note that not all options are supported by all inspector organizations and there are states where some of the variations of the program are frowned upon, so before we sign anyone up we go through that.

Most inspectors as a result go on one of the programs that is NOT dependent on an install- which ASHI, CAHPI, NAHI, and InterNACHI (as well as the state/regional orgs) see as unethical. Inspectors usually go on either a program that offers free products/services or a per lead fee not dependent on installs.

TREC is probably the toughest to get through, and they've specifically told inspectors that our programs that are not dependent on installs are okay.

Mike Kleisch
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
O.K. After seeing this thread pop up again, a few days ago, I decided to read the book... plus I have an interest in marketing as it was almost my minor in college. I only have the book, no CD's so no comment on those. I have no interest if you buy the book or not, this is just my opinion on it.

Other's have done a good job of reviewing the book, so I will try it from a different angle.

A lot of the posts wanted to know about Nathan's technical background, and to be honest is not a needed attribute to offer marketing advice. I remember writing an marketing campaign for the Minivan in college and I have no idea how to build a minivan. My job "project" was how to sell it to the masses, so I had to find the benefits of this van over others and standard options this one had that others didn't offer, a way to stand above the crowd.

This is basically the point of the book. It basically says to find ways to separate yourself from the crowd. In goes into the generics of how most inspectors, if not all, say they provide thorough inspections and provide a report. He goes into what you can do to make yourself stand out. He cover things from how to answer the phone to how to present the report and talking to clients.

He provides the classic Domino's Pizza example and that I will expand on. All pizza places had fresh, hot pizza, but Domino's slogan was the first to market "Fresh, hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes, or it's FREE". Domino's found a way to separate themselves from the crowd, and had to do it again years later. That simple sentence made millions, and notice there is nothing about having the best pizza in that slogan or even if it was good pizza. Same as inspectors, not everyone can be the best, it's impossible. If you have 100 inspectors in one room someone is the top guy, maybe the top 5 are equal, and are considered the experts, and then it drops from there, just the facts of math.

As far as recommending this book...

If you think you would be open to new ideas, marketing interests you, and you want to grow your business I would recommend this book, along with many other books out there. However, this book is written towards the building inspector and from that stand point is more of an interesting read and flows well.

The one interesting thing to note is that he never once said anything about providing inadequate inspections to look good to the real estate agents. In fact, he talks about providing excellent client service to ensure repeat work and referrals.

Again, he is simply offering other ways to grow and market yourself/company and talks about the difference between those two and how each way is fine.

Now for the spoiler alert... you can learn everything in this book for free... heck I knew most of it, but again I have an interest in marketing, but I forgot some of it too, so it was nice as a refresher to relearn things forgotten. But, you will spend a lot of time finding the free information when he has condensed what you need into a book meant for inspectors. Yes, he does offer other services to help grow your business, but they are not needed and are not forced on you, nor do you have to offer them. If anything, it helps to provide examples of how to stand out from the crowd.

Michael Jordan, may have been the best player in basketball, but still had a coach and talked to other players about how to improve his game...