PDA

View Full Version : Gas Fireplace

Pete Barnello
09-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Typically a fireplace is supported near the base of the house.
Is this supported adequately enough tied into the deck?

Also, the top of the chimney doesn't look like it extends past the roof ridge.
Is this a concern?

Billy Stephens
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Typically a fireplace is supported near the base of the house.
Is this supported adequately enough tied into the deck?

Also, the top of the chimney doesn't look like it extends past the roof ridge.
Is this a concern?
What's shown is a prefabricated fireplace ( metal and wood not brick , stone ) weight support requirements are much less. The installation instruction should be easily found and will answer a lot of your concerns.

My concern would be the lack of a Cricket on the back side.

Welmoed Sisson
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
A cricket is only required if the chimney is more than 30 inches wide. This doesn't look nearly that wide. And it just has to be 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet, not necessarily clearing the ridge.

Billy Stephens
09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
A cricket is only required if the chimney is more than 30 inches wide. This doesn't look nearly that wide. And it just has to be 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet, not necessarily clearing the ridge.
Required and Concern are 2 different things.
*That said comparing the door and shown windows this Application would Require a cricket.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-08-2012, 02:35 PM
If the gas vent or manufactured chimney system (within the enclosure) has sufficient rise and draft, and is correctly terminated, there is no requirement that the termination elevation exceed the overall structure's height. The cantillever should NOT be tied to the deck. There is nothing in the picture that suggests need for a cricket. Kickout flashing might be desired since the cant. is above an exterior open staircase.There are specific topic areas for such subjects. "Business Opertions" doesn't quite "fit" your "Gas Fireplace" subject.There is also a forum area for "Questions from Home Owners, Buyers, and DIYers".

Pete Barnello
09-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Thank you all for the helpful info and I will be more careful as to the subject of my post in the future.