PDA

View Full Version : An App for roof slopes

Jack Feldmann
09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Maybe a lot of you already know about this App, but I just found out about it.
Pitch Gauge 2.1
It's very cool.

Jim Luttrall
09-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Handy, now I don't have to keep up with my plastic gauge.
Thanks Jack

Matt Kiefer
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion...I am downloading it now and will test it out..

Jerry Peck
09-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Just make sure you place your phone against a rake board, rafter or something long and straight, not against the shingles, otherwise you will get an incorrect reading with the short phone. slightly bowed rafters or truss top chords will also give a false reading with something as short as the phone.

Or you could lay a longer piece of wood vertically up several shingles to establish their "plane" and then measure that piece of wood.

It's a good idea, I already have it, but its usefulness is not always practical because of slight bows in the wood - kind of like trying to read a straight line on a large ball ... it just keep curving away from you.

Make sure you calibrate it first too. Unlike some other applications which can self-calibrate, that requires you to calibrate it on a "level" surface.

Aaron Miller
09-12-2012, 02:42 AM
I like that one. I also use iHandy Carpenter app.

Eric Barker
09-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Just make sure you place your phone against a rake board, rafter or something long and straight, not against the shingles, otherwise you will get an incorrect reading with the short phone. slightly bowed rafters or truss top chords will also give a false reading with something as short as the phone.

That was my first thought.

Jack Feldmann
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Just like any tool. You have to know its limitations, and use it properly, otherwise its a waste.

Jerry Peck
09-24-2012, 05:23 AM
i am a professional roofer, i mostly make good use of this app..

Thanks anyways as many of people would not knowing of this.

With a username like that ... I doubt many people will pay much attention to what you have to say.

Fred Weck
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I like it. But when using the camera option you want to make sure you are square to the building and as close to the same level as the roof slope you are looking at or it will be off a little.

Benjamin Thompson
09-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Or you could lay a longer piece of wood vertically up several shingles to establish their "plane" and then measure that piece of wood.

It's a good idea, I already have it, but its usefulness is not always practical because of slight bows in the wood - kind of like trying to read a straight line on a large ball ... it just keep curving away from you.

Make sure you calibrate it first too. Unlike some other applications which can self-calibrate, that requires you to calibrate it on a "level" surface.

I've been using it for awhile to judge slope for composition shingles, amazing how many roofers install them on slopes that aren't adequate.
Jerry, the great thing about it is you don't need to set it on the roof, there is a plane of sight so you can line it up from the ground. Very accurate I would imagine.

Jerry Peck
09-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Jerry, the great thing about it is you don't need to set it on the roof, there is a plane of sight so you can line it up from the ground. Very accurate I would imagine.

I have that app too, and yes you can stand back and sight it, but a small amount off at a distance can make a good bit of difference in the slope.

Granted, for roof calculations the roof surface area does not change as much between differences in slope as much as being off a few feet in the length or width of the roof does.

Benjamin Thompson
09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I have that app too, and yes you can stand back and sight it, but a small amount off at a distance can make a good bit of difference in the slope.

Granted, for roof calculations the roof surface area does not change as much between differences in slope as much as being off a few feet in the length or width of the roof does.

I haven't tried it for roof area calculations, just for slope. stand on the ground and line it up with the bottom of the fascia or top of the roof. I think it is far more accurate than setting the phone on the roof plane or even a short level.

Jerry Peck
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I think it is far more accurate than setting the phone on the roof plane or even a short level.

That is why I said: "Just make sure you place your phone against a rake board, rafter or something long and straight, not against the shingles, otherwise you will get an incorrect reading with the short phone. slightly bowed rafters or truss top chords will also give a false reading with something as short as the phone."

;)