PDA

View Full Version : Vent Tee

Joe Nernberg
04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Okay sleuths. Here is a photo of a vent tee that combines furnace and water heater venting at the garage. It appears to have been (1) installed upside down, and (2) cut/modified/altered contrary to manufacturer specifications.

As I stare at the photo a little longer, I think it may be just a sleeve and there is no defect at all. The house was built in 1999 and probably looked this way when the builder got his C of O. What's your opinion?

Tim Moreira
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I agree on the sleeve part, but why would you need one?:confused:

Never saw that before.

Scott Patterson
04-05-2007, 10:01 AM
It looks like someone has cut a "B" vent pipe to insert the "tee". Any modification of a "B" vent is a red flag. What is stopping the flue gas from rolling back down and out the bottom of that sleeve? Nothing from what I can see.

I would call it out as being an improper vent connection. It does not matter that it was that way when the builder got his CO on the home.

Bob Harper
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Bingo Scott! This is a major hack job. Did a Vega-matic on the B-vent because they were too cheap/ stupid to get the proper B-vent tee and manifold them together. That section of B-vent along with this abortion of piping must be replaced.

I would take this photo to the building dept. and ask them what they thnk of it. If they state it is ok, hit them on the noggin with the photo. The only way someone with any clue whatsoever could pass this is if they were living in this home and were stoned from the CO fumes. A really dangerous situation.

After you discuss this with them, them pose this question: So, having seen this attempt at manslaughter, how many other similar jobs do you think this tech did in your jurisdiction?

This really ticks me off. Can you tell?

Rick Hurst
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Bob,

You'll be more upset when you see these.

Someone had told the seller the WH flue needed to be strapped when they bought the home 12 years ago, so her husband repaired it himself.

And then there was the furnace flue terminating in the attic.

Bruce Breedlove
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Dang, Rick! You kept that guy from qualifying for the Darwin Awards. Shame on you!

Bob Harper
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
They should'a woke up dead. Unreal how much of this insanity there is out there.

Frazier Jeffery
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Any vent,chimney or connector piping into which an exhauster discharges must be rated and approved for positive pressure and properly installed to prevent leakage of exhaust gases. For example, Type B vents cannot be used on the outlet side of an exhauster or powered vented appliance. as B vents cannot be sealed

Bill Hetner
11-10-2011, 11:49 PM
ok what I am wondering is this. did they use the b vent pipe as a liner to go thru the ceiling there and not have it continue further on. what we don't see is the otherside. needs further investigation would be my suggestion.

bob smit
11-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Double wall, using the outer wall as a sleeve? I be just a sparky however.

Jim Hintz
11-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Scott nailed it.