Matt Fellman
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
first pic - siding installed tight against the porch

second pic - no flashing, wood to masonry contact will wick water

All is wrong? Anything else?

Rick Hurst
09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Matt,

You seem to be answering your own questions, don't you think?

Brandon Whitmore
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Matt-
It sounds like you already know all this and just want another opinion-- here's mine. Hardi(e) Plank is supposed to have a min. 2" vertical clearance between the siding and concrete/ hardscapes (per installation instructions). Flashing is required where dissimilar siding materials meet (IRC '03)-- I do not see any flashing or anything that I would consider a flashing. Plus the horizontal trim board is problematic and will hold water. I would hammer on both those issues.
Brandon

Matt Fellman
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Matt-
It sounds like you already know all this and just want another opinion-- here's mine. Hardi(e) Plank is supposed to have a min. 2" vertical clearance between the siding and concrete/ hardscapes (per installation instructions). Flashing is required where dissimilar siding materials meet (IRC '03)-- I do not see any flashing or anything that I would consider a flashing. Plus the horizontal trim board is problematic and will hold water. I would hammer on both those issues.
Brandon

Thanks... yep, just looking for some confirmation of what I know

Don Emerson
09-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Matt-
It sounds like you already know all this and just want another opinion-- here's mine. Hardi(e) Plank is supposed to have a min. 2" vertical clearance between the siding and concrete/ hardscapes (per installation instructions).
Brandon
Anybody out there got a picture of a 2" vertical clearance as per HardiPlank instructions? I am having a hard time picturing what that would look like.

Billy Stephens
09-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Don,

No picture but:o

The vertical is measured from the hard scape to the siding.

Just like the clearance from a slab to the siding ,should have a space between floor and
siding.

Jerry Peck
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
That looks like 'hardboard' siding.

'Hardboard' siding requires 25 miles clearance from the house (or however far away the local solid waste dump/landfill is located).

:)

Don Emerson
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
That looks like 'hardboard' siding.

'Hardboard' siding requires 25 miles clearance from the house (or however far away the local solid waste dump/landfill is located).

:)

Not exactly a fan of HardiPlank- I guess. What don't you like about it?

Jerry Peck
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Not exactly a fan of HardiPlank- I guess. What don't you like about it?

Don,

NOT "Hardieplank", "hardboard" - think LP, Masonite, etc.

Jon Randolph
09-18-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm with Jerry, that appears to be engineered wood. Hardi-plank is a cementuous type of siding. We all know the problems that Louisianna Pacific has had with their lap siding. I always comment about the importance of paint, caulk, etc. with engineered wood, wether I see iddues or not. If I see the LP in the knot of the panel on homes I make sure that the client knows about the issues (lawsuit) with that too.

Matt Fellman
09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
It's cement... Hardi/Hardie - Plank - The picture is a bit fuzzy which makes it look more textured and like LP 'crapola' - I gave it the 'knuckle thump' as I call it to be sure.... There's no mistaking the cement sound vs. wood/pulp/glue/etc

Brandon Whitmore
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Don,

That grain pattern is very common for Hardi(e) plank around here. I can't say I have seen that exact grain pattern in these parts in a hardboard material.

Chad Fabry
09-19-2007, 04:48 AM
If it is Hardi Plank, it's "Select Cedar Mill".

All of the fiber cement products look so similar that it's hard to tell them apart even if the samples are side by side.

Cem Plank and Certainteed both have grain patterns that would blend perfectly with the one illustrated.

Jerry Peck
09-19-2007, 05:01 AM
All of the fiber cement products look so similar that it's hard to tell them apart even if the samples are side by side.

In other words, don't refer to it as "Hardieplank" to your clients or in your reports, but simply as "cement board siding" ... or some other appropriate generic "name type" of siding. Like what I did when I thought it was Masonite or LP, I referred to it as "hardboard" ... least you call it Hardieplank and, when your client goes to replace some, they find a less expensive product was installed, then expect YOU to replace ALL of the 'cement board siding' with Hardieplank cement board siding, because, after all, THAT IS WHAT YOU SAID IT WAS.

Don Emerson
09-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Don,

Oops, someone wasn't paying attention. I'll look closer next time. BTW, I agree with you about where Masonite and LP siding belongs. Used to call on a couple of their manufacturing plants many moons ago. Wasn't impressed then, either.