PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this particular equipment

Richard Harmon
09-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Anyone recognize these Pulnix devices?
Three or four of these Pulnix (thermostats?) were on the walls in a home with two forced air gas heat furnaces with associated heat pumps. Air supplied to every room and hall. Dial was labeled in degrees F but knob did not turn or push in and cover did not come off. No visible baseboard units. Two in hallways so with rest of heating infrastructure hard to belive it is radiant but that would have been my guess.
If the dial would have turned I would have cranked it up and checked surfaces with the IR thermometer.

Jerry Peck
09-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Probably either ceiling or floor radiant heat (I'm thinking ceiling radiant heat) which has since been replaced with the gas furnaces you found now. How old was the house - old enough to have had the gas furnaces installed as a newer upgrade?

Rick Cantrell
09-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I may be WAY OFF BASE but I think those may be sensors on an alarm system

Jerry Peck
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I may be WAY OFF BASE but I think those may be sensors on an alarm system

That company does make alarm stuff, but they also make thermostats, and because he said the dial was in degrees F I am thinking thermostats.

Richard Harmon
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Mid 80's.
One furnace original but I think it had been converted propane to natural gas at some point.
Interesting thought on the alarm as my internet search turned up Pulnix now under the name Takex security systems.

Rick Cantrell
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
That company does make alarm stuff, but they also make thermostats, and because he said the dial was in degrees F I am thinking thermostats.

Again I may be way off
But he did state that the dial did not move.
I would expect the dial to move even on an old thermostat, but not on an alarm sensor.

He also said he could not remove the cover.
Odd for a thermostat, but most every (though not all) alarm sensor has tamper resistant cover releases.

Looks like the cover is the color (dark red or brown translucent) that I expect to see on an IR detector.
Notice the red light to the left of "PULNIX", IR detectors also have an indicator light.
Lastly
I think I remember seeing one of these (many many years ago).
I know I sold some PULNIX equipment.

Rick Cantrell
09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
I did forget to say, I think they are IR sensors disguised as thermostats.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm bunting with Rick C. Looks like an IR lense to the left of the "PULNIX" hence I'm going with a heat/beam alarm sensor.

Jerry Peck
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I did forget to say, I think they are IR sensors disguised as thermostats.

Ahh ... says the blind man ... it would have helped to have had that light turned on earlier. :)

Rick Cantrell
09-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Ahh ... says the blind man ... it would have helped to have had that light turned on earlier. :)

Sorry about that.
It's one of the many times that
what I think, is not what I write, but it is what I think I write.
Make sense now?

Benjamin Thompson
09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
I am going with alarm / camera. You can see the thief on the left side of the photo.:)

Richard Harmon
09-22-2012, 08:42 PM
That was awesome. Thank You.
Just when I thought I had seen it all I found out I hadn't.

Randy Rogers
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd think that hideous wall paper would keep most intruders away! :eek:

Michael Thomas
09-23-2012, 02:53 AM
PILNIX was acquired by TAKEX, their tech support number is 877-371-2727.

Do not know if they still have anyone around who could ID that, though.

Rick Cantrell
09-23-2012, 03:35 AM
PILNIX was acquired by TAKEX, their tech support number is 877-371-2727.

Do not know if they still have anyone around who could ID that, though.

I emailed them last night and included a link to the thread.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-23-2012, 01:32 PM
I emailed them last night and included a link to the thread.

GMTA, as did I, which is why my post authored prior to your two previous (one at the same minute) was authored slightly earlier, but delayed in posting window. ;)

Garry Blankenship
09-23-2012, 08:06 PM
A faux t-stat. Security people are a devious bunch. Things like this can seriously complicate an inspectors job.