PDA

View Full Version : Proper traps??

john f miller
09-25-2012, 01:53 PM
These two drains do not look right to me but I can't figure out what would make them right or wrong. Would someone please help me out?
Thanks,
John Miller
Atlanta

Rick Cantrell
09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
These two drains do not look right to me but I can't figure out what would make them right or wrong. Would someone please help me out?
Thanks,
John Miller
Atlanta

Both are S Traps, which are not allowed.

Mike Kleisch
09-25-2012, 03:30 PM
These are S-Traps and the reason they are wrong is when water runs through the trap the water can siphon the water out of the trap, as it goes up and over the hump, losing the trap seal. Once that happens, sewer gases can enter into the room because there is no trap seal (no water in the trap) causing that lovely smell and potential methane gas to enter.

Not knowing all the details this probably cannot be fixed as I don't see how any of these are properly vented. Kind of looks like a "let's cut it in here job..."

John Kogel
09-25-2012, 04:08 PM
The trap arms need to be longer. The trap arm is the horizontal portion downstream from the dip. There are ways to make both those arms longer.
Whether those traps need venting depends on parts we can't see in these 2 pics.

john f miller
09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the prompt replies. I was having a blonde/bald day and could not remember by basics.

You folks are the best with your generous help.

Warm regards,
John

Rick Cantrell
09-25-2012, 04:40 PM
You folks are the best with your generous help.

John
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but, this is a PAY FOR ANSWERS site.
Read the sign in page
;)

john f miller
09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Lol, If you can get blood from a turnip that IRS has already squeezed you can have it.

Jerry Peck
09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
One is at a tub and one is at a shower?

john f miller
09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Correct, the original bathroom just had a tub, they added the drain line to run under the new tub and shower when they expanded the bathroom.

Ron Hasil
09-28-2012, 05:11 AM
S-traps are not allowed, and being one is a tub the pipe going up is the overflow, the other a shower the pipe just goes to the shower base, so we know they are not properly vented either.

Also here in Illinois the rubber couplings (Fernco) used are not to code. They are supposed to be shielded type used for no-hub piping, and a PVC no-hub adapters (fitting with a raised lip on the end) is to be used.

Garry Sorrells
09-28-2012, 05:48 AM
A different way to explain what can happen with the S-trap is to think of a toilet and how it is designed to draw water from the bowl. Then Look at what happens if there is no water added to the primary flush. You hear a gurgle as the siphon action is broken.

john f miller
09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all the help.
John