PDA

View Full Version : Move In Certified

Deleted Account
09-19-2007, 06:37 AM
This is a new NACHI marketing program called Move In Certified (http://www.moveincertified.com/) designed help home inspectors work with sellers & Realtors by providing a modified pre-listing inspection.

I am seeking comments in regards to a presentation (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/altsquareone/Misc/Move%20In%20Certified2.swf) I created around this program.

John Ghent
09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Tell me, is the cardboard box in the logo symbolic of the types of homes NACHI pre-inspects?

Richard Stanley
09-19-2007, 07:12 AM
I think you did a very good job on the presentation.
However,
Who is going to follow up after the repairs / remedies are performed to 'certify' the house?
Why so cheap?
Isn't it against your SOP to share the report with others? I suppose the seller can authorize the sharing - can the buyer download it free? or who gets the $$$? I would think there would be some problems with 're-selling' a report.
What happens when the buyer gets their own inspector and it conflicts with the original? It will happen, you know.
Is a prudent, intelligent buyer going to 'buy' an inspection report that the seller bought and paid for? I guess some of them actually believe sellers disclosures too.

Deleted Account
09-19-2007, 07:59 AM
I think you did a very good job on the presentation.

Thanks, that is all I really wanted to know.

Jerry McCarthy
09-19-2007, 08:02 AM
$199.00 for a "certified" move-in inspection! How come so expensive?
Love to see one of their reports. :rolleyes:

Rick Hurst
09-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Good Presentation.

The one thing that stands out to me was the term "Free of Defects".

Thats looks like a risk to myself.

rick

Richard Rushing
09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
The last two posts are exctly what I wrote down when reviewing the presentation.

Text is fine. However, there really needs to be voice-over to accentuate the need and selling point of why they seller should sping for the fee in lieu of the buyer. After-all, it's incumbent on the buyer to identify what s/he wants repaired.

The reason we all get the business for a home to be inspected by the buyer is so that they can have piece of mind that they are not going to be surprised by major component failure(s). Think about it, if the seller(s) have lived there for *X* amount of years and they don't disclose items today because they don't want to have to pay for anything that the buyer doesen't identify as needing repair, why would you think that the radical change would take effect because of someone inspecting before the home went on the market?

There-in lies the issue with the "Move-In Certified" concept. For the most part, sellers want to do as little as possible, not as much as possible...

The 'FREE FROM DEFECTS' is a phrase that will always lead to call-backs and/or possibly worse. Advertising as such ("defect-free"), is border-line deceptive. The problem with stating such is this: You may actually sign a contract with the seller when conducting the inspection that will relieve you of the burder of the "Defect Free" clause. However, the problem lies in that this report is not your typical document and is considered a "living" document in that, with it comes the presumption that it *WILL* be passed on and used from seller to buyer. Since your contract is with the seller and not the buyer, the buyer is actually the one who will push the handle down on the toaster when needing to head up your buns.

Now, get away from the "Defect-Free" moniker of this type inspection and change it to "Major Systems Previously Inspected" would be more accurate.

JMO

rr

Dom D'Agostino
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Joe,

1. Anyway to offer a Back, Foward, Pause, or other speed controls for the slides? The timing is a little slow on some pages; being able to move faster (or slower, I suppose) would be nice.

2. The bubble shaped flow-chart is a little confusing.

3. It needs Flash, and not everyone uses that plug-in.

Scott Patterson
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Not to start a battle but, I think if everyone needs a little more information about Move In Certified.

This is not an original idea. I know, you are shocked. This idea was first developed by the owner of InspectionDepot, Michael Rowan. I know Michael and I knew of this concept last spring. Michael made the mistake of telling Nick about this in Toronto, at the NACHI show, the next day the Move in Certified domain name was purchased by Nick. He also purchased other variations of it as well.

Michael's program is far more advanced. It combines MLS like listing service. For an inspector to participate they must have passed the NHIE, have 250 inspections under their belt and have passed a background check. Nick did not like the experience or testing requirements from what I understand.
This is the link to their site Certified Pre-Owned Listings - The Faster Way to Sell Your Listings (http://www.certifiedpreownedlisting.com/Common/index.aspx)

From what I understand it will be launched nationwide in October

Y'all be the judge. I like the original version that Michale developed and and not the copy.

John Arnold
09-19-2007, 03:24 PM
The music sucks. Seriously.

Billy Stephens
09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
John,

I'm glad Somebody Said It.

Maybe a little Star Trek Sound Track:cool:

John McKenna
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Not to start a battle but, I think if everyone needs a little more information about Move In Certified.

This is not an original idea. I know, you are shocked. This idea was first developed by the owner of InspectionDepot, Michael Rowan. I know Michael and I knew of this concept last spring. Michael made the mistake of telling Nick about this in Toronto, at the NACHI show, the next day the Move in Certified domain name was purchased by Nick. He also purchased other variations of it as well.

Michael's program is far more advanced. It combines MLS like listing service. For an inspector to participate they must have passed the NHIE, have 250 inspections under their belt and have passed a background check. Nick did not like the experience or testing requirements from what I understand.
This is the link to their site Certified Pre-Owned Listings - The Faster Way to Sell Your Listings (http://www.certifiedpreownedlisting.com/Common/index.aspx)

From what I understand it will be launched nationwide in October

Y'all be the judge. I like the original version that Michale developed and and not the copy.

It is interesting how many things Michael has started that look like Nicks stuff
as well. They seem to be friends, so far. It must be the question of the chicken
and the egg....

Deleted Account
09-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Michael's program is far more advanced.

The link you posted is not working, but here is the final presentation (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/altsquareone/Misc/Move%20In%20Certified2.swf) I'll be posting on our website, really didn't know I had a talent for this stuff. :)

Scott Patterson
09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
The link you posted is not working, but here is the final presentation (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/altsquareone/Misc/Move%20In%20Certified2.swf) I'll be posting on our website, really didn't know I had a talent for this stuff. :)

Works for me.

Joe, that is pretty good work. I'm impressed, but the music would be better in an elevator.

Billy Stephens
09-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Scott,
Your link worked for me as well 1st time.

Remind me not to ride the evaluators you wish that music on.

Matt Hawley
09-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Great presentation Joe......nice work. I am curiouse to see how this program will work. I think it has lots of potential in the current market.

Deleted Account
09-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Great presentation Joe......nice work. I am curiouse to see how this program will work. I think it has lots of potential in the current market.

Me too, I actually started developing a Pre-Listing strategy last year but the few Realtors I presented it to were not interested. At the time I was just using a standard buyers report and that just won't work for sellers. The next thing I tested was a Five-Point Sellers inspection & report loosely based on the ASTM E-2018-01 (Standard Guide for Property Condition Assessments) this too did not work.

This is my final shot, the inspection & report are linked to the Florida FAR/BAR real estate contract, hopefully this will work, I'll keep you posted.

Jerry McCarthy
09-20-2007, 08:39 AM
In my neck of the woods (SF Peninsula) over 80% of the homes get pre-listing inspections. We developed that modus operandi back in the mid 1990s and the real estate pros bought in to it, not quickly, but eventually. It's without doubt the smart way to market residential property as it removes most of the bargaining chips from the inevitable buyer’s negotiations. Southern CA agents are still dragging their feet on this method, but I see it being universal adopted some day.....

David Banks
09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
California innovation is ahead of the nation in many areas. You guys were using concrete finishing tools that took 10 years to reach the East coast.
Walking edges, walking trowels, stainless knee boards,Fresno etc.
When I moved back East from Colorado I started my own business and brought a lot of these tools with me and no one around here had ever seen them. Builders were impressed.

David Nice
09-21-2007, 10:54 AM
This is a new NACHI marketing program called Move In Certified (http://www.moveincertified.com/) designed help home inspectors work with sellers & Realtors by providing a modified pre-listing inspection.

I am seeking comments in regards to a presentation (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/altsquareone/Misc/Move%20In%20Certified2.swf) I created around this program.

Joe's decision to modify the inspection is his choice and is not specifically part of the program. The pricing is his as well and is not representative of how to impliment the program.