PDA

View Full Version : strange looking insulation

Elena Gerstmann
10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello,
I am about to buy a house. It is about 90 years old in New Jersey. I had it inspected but there was stuff in the attic at the time and the inspector couldn't see what I just saw when I stopped by. Part of the wall in the attic storage area is missing so I could see the floor (top of 2nd floor ceiling) and saw odd looking insulation. From my own search on line, I think it is Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation or UFFI Foam which would be okay because the dangerous fumes have all dissipated . My concern is maybe it is vermiculite with asbestos which is dangerous.
I attached a picture. Any thoughts?

Help would be greatly appreciated. My daughter wants to convert storage room into a playroom.

John Kogel
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
The pic is poor but it does not look like vermiculite to me.
Yes it could be UFFI.

Raymond Wand
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
If it is UFFI pieces will break off very easily and crumble into a powder when rubbed between your fingers.

Jerry Peck
10-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Looks like matted or wadded up fiberglass.

Mark Fisher
10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Not vermiculite.

Joseph Hagarty
10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Not UFFI (I have it in my own home) unless it has been removed from a wall cavity and bulk loaded to the attic.

Not Vermiculite....

Most likely Rock Wool which is a common type throughout PA & NJ for the age of the home.......

Mark Fisher
10-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Not UFFI (I have it in my own home) unless it has been removed from a wall cavity and bulk loaded to the attic.

Not Vermiculite....

Most likely Rock Wool which is a common type throughout PA & NJ for the age of the home.......

Doesn't look like any rockwool that I've come across (a lot). Looks like a big pile of foam over-spray from the pic. Either way, I think everyone agrees that it is not vermiculite.

BridgeMan
10-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Doesn't look like any vermiculite or rock wool I've encountered over the years. If you have time, why not take a small sample for lab analysis to a certified testing lab somewhere? Worst case scenario would involve sealing it all off with a heavy layer of visquine before installing a permanent flooring in the daughter's play area.

John Kogel
10-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Not Vermiculite....

Most likely Rock Wool which is a common type throughout PA & NJ for the age of the home.......All we have to go on is one poorly exposed picture. I know you have seen UFFI and RockwooI. I don't see how you can make that statement with any certainty whatsoever.

Here is her picture and beside it a picture of UFFI in an attic. I don't need to post a pic of Rockwool, do I? :D