PDA

View Full Version : Roof Anchor

Matt Fellman
09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Do you guys call these out if they're like this?

The lower piece of wood is totally missing. I'm sure the roofers would like to know before they all tie off to it.

Jerry Peck
09-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I will set the stage for what I think I am looking at.

You are in the attic looking straight up at a piggy back truss resting on 2x6 laid on the top chord of the truss below, right?

If so, then that is a strange strap to use for that purpose.

I suspect, in my convoluted logic, that the strap, with the bolt through the strap, was used for a crane to raise an assembly of those piggy back trusses up into place.

Then, the assembly of piggy back trusses must be strapped, gusset plated, or otherwise attached to the trusses below, all in accordance with the truss engineering.

It is too confined of a photo to know if there are other straps, gussets, or something else strapping the piggy back trusses down to the trusses below.

Short answer: Without more knowledge, that looks like a strap used to raise an assembly of trusses up to the top, not a strap to resist uplift and hold the piggy back trusses down.

Dom D'Agostino
09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Jerry,
Looks more like a tie-down anchor point for the roofer's safety harness.

American Roof Super Anchor (http://www.westernsafety.com/amranchr.html)

Matt Fellman
09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Jerry,
Looks more like a tie-down anchor point for the roofer's safety harness.

American Roof Super Anchor (http://www.westernsafety.com/amranchr.html)

Yep, that's what it is... sorry for not being more clear...

I see them all the time with another piece of wood and have just always assumed that is the 'correct' way to install them. I just hate to see it left in place halfway... A roof or gutter guy who comes along would likely not go into the attic before tying off onto it.

Jerry Peck
09-19-2007, 07:01 PM
You guys actually find those being installed on residential houses?

WOW!

You guys are lucky.

"A roof or gutter guy who comes along would likely not go into the attic before tying off onto it."

You actually have roof and gutter installers who OWN fall protection, ... and USE IT?

Double wow!!

I mean that is a good way.:cool:

Scott Patterson
09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I found some yesterday on a big home with an 8/12 pitch roof. Wieland Homes puts them on all of their homes that have a pitch of 8/12 and greater. First time I had seen them.

Matt Fellman
09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
You guys actually find those being installed on residential houses?

WOW!

You guys are lucky.

"A roof or gutter guy who comes along would likely not go into the attic before tying off onto it."

You actually have roof and gutter installers who OWN fall protection, ... and USE IT?

Double wow!!

I mean that is a good way.:cool:

In reality they only get used when the they see the OSHA truck rolling in... but I guess it's better than nothing.

Bruce Breedlove
09-29-2007, 03:35 PM
This is a roof anchor that I see every now and then.

Michael Thomas
09-30-2007, 04:51 AM
IMO, they ought to be a code requirement on every roof greater than 4/12, with a stainless steel leader going down to the eave. It's absurd that anyone - roofer, sweep, inspector or anyone else - does not have a convenient and secure way to employ fall protection if they wish for lack of a $20 attachment point.

Bruce Breedlove
09-30-2007, 09:35 AM
My roof is very steep. I plan to install 2 or 3 of these anchors when I replace my old cedar shakes with architectural shingles in the spring.

Bruce Breedlove
10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
This roof anchor slides out for use and retracts to seal itself. (Or at least that is the therory. I have found evidence of small leaks at these anchors.)

I'll post a pic of the exterior view of this anchor if I can find one.

CJ MORRIS
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I inspected one of Weilands homes & it had one on the exterior & I had never come across anything like it before. Had to ask the builder supervisor, then looked in the attic to see how it was attached.

Neat idea, if someone in the future needs a safety link, its there to be used again. Tough pitches on these upscale homes.

Todd Strickland
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
If feel it is a two sided coin, on one side you have safety for the roofers and the other the roofs integrity. As a roofer, on an 8/12 or greater roof pitch I'm happy to see a roof anchor but as far as a roof system in general, the less penetrations the better.

Vern Heiler
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I've seen a lot of these installed in homes built 5-6 years ago. There are a lot less now as most of the roofers have there own reusable anchors and the builders are not putting in the permanent ones.

Frank Suchodolski
12-13-2009, 03:49 AM
When you have roof anchors installed, whose liability are they? They must be stamped by an engineer and installed correctly. Permanent anchors can be a liability when left for permanent. A gutter cleaner comes to your house 10 years or so down the road...sees an anchor... actually hooks onto it and it fails...now your responsible. I only see them on commercial buildings where they will actually be checked from time to time. Let the individual trades take care of their own anchors when they come to your house.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO