PDA

View Full Version : Need to fill the tool box!

John Thompson
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
So I finally got a locking crossover tool box for my truck. No more carrying all my tools inside for the night (I don't live in a great neighborhood). Even with my radon monitors, gas sniffers, level, etc., I still have lots of room. I'm wondering what other inspectors might have in their rigs, just in case. Think towels for wiping up plumbing leaks, batteries for tools, heck, even portable hand held vacuums for cleaning up insulation. Would love to hear from you all!

BridgeMan
10-18-2012, 12:28 PM
So people were lying to me a few years ago, when I was considering retiring to Missoula, telling me how low the crime rate was, and nobody locks their doors, etc., etc.?

But now you have another problem--if they want your tools, they'll just take the entire truck. Maybe it's time to think about living in a place with a garage that can be (securely) locked.

Steven Turetsky
10-18-2012, 01:27 PM
So people were lying to me a few years ago, when I was considering retiring to Missoula, telling me how low the crime rate was, and nobody locks their doors, etc., etc.?

But now you have another problem--if they want your tools, they'll just take the entire truck. Maybe it's time to think about living in a place with a garage that can be (securely) locked.

So then if they want the tools or the truck they will break into his house.

Ken Rowe
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Since I had a window broken out and radon monitor stolen awhile back they don't stay in the truck anymore. Everything else fits in a Pelican 1600 case and comes inside at night.

Inside the case lives:
2 gas detectors
Monoxor III
18v cordless drill and assorted bits
cordless screwdriver
video borescope
thermal camera
vise grips
awl
metal tape
a couple digital thermometers
pin style moisture meter
tape measure

The towels and levels stay in the truck unless I need them.

Steven Turetsky
10-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Since I had a window broken out and radon monitor stolen awhile back they don't stay in the truck anymore. Everything else fits in a Pelican 1600 case and comes inside at night.

Inside the case lives:
2 gas detectors
Monoxor III
18v cordless drill and assorted bits
cordless screwdriver
video borescope
thermal camera
vise grips
awl
metal tape
a couple digital thermometers
pin style moisture meter
tape measure

The towels and levels stay in the truck unless I need them.

Which borescope do you have?

John Kogel
10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
My good stuff goes behind the seat in the extended cab.
In the truck box under the cap with the ladders I have a shovel, tow rope, extra ropes, jumper cables, a few wrenches, bungy cords and other crap that they can steal if they want to, it is all worthless on the street, and easily replaced.

I've used the shovel once or twice to pry open a lid on an outdoor sump.

Ken Rowe
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Which borescope do you have?

Extech BR200

Dana Bostick
10-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Just KNOW that anything you want will have slid into the center and be unreachable! :D

Marc M
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
So I finally got a locking crossover tool box for my truck. No more carrying all my tools inside for the night (I don't live in a great neighborhood). Even with my radon monitors, gas sniffers, level, etc., I still have lots of room. I'm wondering what other inspectors might have in their rigs, just in case. Think towels for wiping up plumbing leaks, batteries for tools, heck, even portable hand held vacuums for cleaning up insulation. Would love to hear from you all!
I have a broom, mop, town, cleaners, IR camera, Cordless screwdrivers (3), paper towel roll, tool box w/ tools of all sorts, bolt cutters, power inverter for all the chargers, 2 sniffers, Milwaukee bore scope, ski poles for SD's, 4 types of flashlights, 2 ladders, spotters scope & tri pod, cone and other miscellaneous crap.