PDA

View Full Version : Ok or or not

Bill Wieczorek
10-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Saw a furnace in a crawl space that is vented directly thru the wall. The furnace was not A 90+ unit, the vent was the tipical 6 inch vent. The vent extended 12 inches outside the house. Seemed to be a danger to children when hot if nothing else.

The furnace appeared to be installed correctly in a horizontal position hanging from the rafters. Sorry no photo. Any opinions.

Markus Keller
10-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Gotta write it up as defective,
- burn hazard
- poison hazard
- clearance to windows and property line
- backdraft hazard
- pipe rust out hazard
- how far off ground, does it have a proper hood or can rodents get in
- since its in a crawlspace, how damp, vented, insulated is the crawlspace; 2 things kill a furnace, dirt and high moisture
- does the unit have AC, where does the drain go, on the floor
- is the crawl conditioned or unconditioned, are ducts insulated or joints properly sealed
- any fire separation installed to the joists above the unit, i.e. 5/8" drywall, durock, something

Bill Wieczorek
10-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Wrote it up as a burn hazard and back draft problem. Pipe was not near a window and was 20 inches out from the home.

Furnace hangs from rafters not on the ground and the crawl space is dry, its covered with plastic and pea gravel. I see lots of furnaces in crawl spaces. The condensate line was broken but did run to the sump pit. I noted the broken line.