PDA

View Full Version : Cracks on the roofing board

Hans Liu
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I have noticed multiple cracking lines on my roofing board (attached photos). There is no leaking or anything wrong so far, but I am wondering if the broken board can bear the snow weight as normal, or if it is prone to causing subsequent damage of the shingle and tarpaper above?

Moreover, if I am going to sell the house, would it be something that inspectors can pick on?

Thanks!

John Kogel
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
It is unlikely to ever cause a problem.

Most likely it was caused by the roofer shooting nails into that big oversized knot in the plank. If there is no sign of a depression on the outside, and you have good quality shingles on your roof, snow will not cause a problem, in my opinion.

Garry Sorrells
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Hater to disagree with you John.

There is a good potential that snow over time there will be an issue with snow/ice on that section of board.

The bigger issue may be when someone walks over the broken board and cracks the shingle.

The fix is easy. Needs to be braced/spliced across the break.

Chris McIntyre
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
It is unlikely to ever cause a problem.

Most likely it was caused by the roofer shooting nails into that big oversized knot in the plank. If there is no sign of a depression on the outside, and you have good quality shingles on your roof, snow will not cause a problem, in my opinion.

Agreed.:)

.......The bigger issue may be when someone walks over the broken board and cracks the shingle.

The fix is easy........

Agreed.:)

Hans Liu
10-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Thank you all for your opinions! That is very helpful.

Mike Kleisch
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Just curious, is this a new roof? The lumber looks new in the photo, and haven’t seen boards used, in forever. I had the same issue on my house when I bought it and it was never a problem. I just added a 2x to bridge the span so I would not have a soft spot, and just replaced that board when I re-roofed.