PDA

View Full Version : Main water line next to service panel

Sam Morris
10-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Inspecting a house today built in 1970 and found the water main water line entry is beside the electrical service panel. Is there a violation with this?? Thanks

Jerry Peck
10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
"next to" - okay ... not smart, but 'okay'

"over" - baaad ... and not smart

Stephen G
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I have called out two main water shut offs located above over a bit...if the tap ever started to leak, while using it. buzzzzt...in both cases re routing the plumbing was a very simple fix...but my mind still has trouble thinking that they actually installed it that way. The second trade should have said something...the AHJ should have said something....

wayne soper
11-01-2012, 07:18 AM
in my area there was no building dept till 1972 or so. i have seen that many times and always call out the hazard and an upgrade recommendation.
i also have found quite a few bathrooms added above with the toilet right above the panel. brings a few desciptive terms to mind:D

Harry Janssen
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
If some thing appears to be a hazard,call it out,better to be safe than sorry,of course common sense should prevail.

Lon Henderson
11-02-2012, 06:43 AM
An example of violating common sense but not code. However, note the galvanized to copper connection.

Speedy Petey
11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I have called out two main water shut offs located above over a bit...if the tap ever started to leak, while using it. buzzzzt...Please explain what you mean by "buzzzzt".
Are you suggesting if the panel gets dripped on it will buzz? :(