PDA

View Full Version : Geodesic Dome House

Jim Hughes
09-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Do any of you have experience in inspecting these structures. I had the opportunity to look at this one yesterday. No real concerns. I am curious if there are any inherent problems with these structures. A friend of mine if looking at this fix-er-up-er!
Thanks
Jim

Jerry Peck
09-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I've heard they are leakers because of all of the surface direction changes and accompanying joints, which all need to be properly sealed and flashed ... or they leak.

Jim Hughes
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Jerry! This one had a couple leaks with a relatively new roof.

BARRY ADAIR
09-23-2007, 01:16 PM
The ones I've done were just a house with a different roof. Leaks are the main thing I've encountered.

On another note from previous clients.

Market and efficiency

You either like domes or hate domes and this can affect the marketability for resale. Narrows the pool of lookers, so to speak.

We have one area where the whole cul-de-sac block is nothing but domes about a dozen total. They just don't quite fit into any neighborhood, in some peoples opinion and have been exclude from being built in some HOA controlled areas.

Generally the "great room" is a waste of conditioned space or if they have utilized that space in the rooms design furnishings layout can be an issue for some because of the sloped wall to ceiling intersect.

wayne soper
09-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I remember going to a Thanksgiving bash at a colorado commune in the early 70's in a dome made of car hoods. It was 90 feet across. They had beer made with pot instead of hops. the local indian tribe rode in on horseback in traditional garb. Was a good time needless to say. Of coarse they were all too stoned to notice a few leaks. Hopefully your clients won't either.

Michael Thomas
09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I have two friends who lived in manufactured GDs. Both leaked. No matter what they tied to stop it.

wayne soper
09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
michael, did they try the reefer beer?

Michael Thomas
09-23-2007, 07:27 PM
You know, I doubt either did!

Ron Cherry
10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi Jim, if your friend did not buy that fix-er-up-er dome, would you please send me the address? Thanks, Ron.

Erby Crofutt
10-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Wayne

Are you sure it was "they" or was it really "we"?

Larry Wilson
10-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Erby, from the pictures shown, I would suspect potential moisture/ insect damage to the siding and possibly the framing based on the lack of ground clearance to the siding.
Larry W.
South Carolina

wayne soper
10-08-2007, 06:03 AM
erby, thats funny, yeah it's kind of fuzzy but i think the "they" turned into a "we" somewhere between thanksgiving and christmas. Or was it when the horses started doing Nixon impersonations

Rolland Pruner
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
With Zero overhang, potential leaks.

I notice a bulge in the siding above the bush?? or bad picture??

Other than that normal house problems.

Rolland Pruner

Carol Perkins
10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
In cold climates some of those leaks may not be from the outside. The domes are very hard to get "attic ventilation" because "Where is the attic?". In climates were the vapor retarder is on the inside it takes an good installer who is very patient to get a good seal. And if the installer is not carefull there is no where for the moisture to go, so it rains back through the hole it seaped out of in the first place. The few I have seen here in Alaska are showing signs of moisture damage but I have inspected a couple where someone used ice and water shield on all the seams and urethane or foam insulation.