PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace surround proper?

Jeff Eastman
09-23-2007, 02:27 PM

Bob Harper
09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Get used to it--this is just the start. The hottest rage right now is cast mantels. This makes a hand carved stone mantel affordable for ordinary Joe. Most are a matrix of inorganic material with reinforcing much like Corian or Zodiac. Some are simply pure gypsum molded. Most of the ones I've seen and handled now use GRP, which seems to hold up in R&D lab mock-ups but I have yet to see one that has passed ASTM E-136, including that sold by some of the major fireplace mfrs. You can go to Fireplaces: Fireplaces.com for gas fireplaces, electric fireplaces, wood fireplaces and stoves! (http://www.fireplaces.com) and search FireSide Furnishings, which is a division of Hearth & Home Technologies. This makes them hipocrites because their manual is explicit on the definitions of combustible versus non-combustible then they sell this stuff which is not tested. In short, they are taking on the liability based on in-house testing instead of testing by a recognized test lab to a national std.

For us, it represents a problem because there is no lableling on this material.

Yes, the gas line should be electrically insulated from the outer wrap of the fireplace and the hole sealed to minimize cold air infiltration. Note how the pipe is running uphill.

Yes, there should be a cover plate.

The gas cock is OFF but the S.I.T. Nova 820 valve is in the Pilot position. Great valve.

Got the make and model of this Fp?

back from teaching a 2 day class in Va,
Bob

Clay E White
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Bob,

Yes, the gas line should be electrically insulated from the outer wrap of the fireplace and the hole sealed to minimize cold air infiltration.

===>Exactly what do you mean "electrically insulated from the outer wrap of the fireplace"? How/why?

Note how the pipe is running uphill.

===> Why is this a problem?

The gas cock is OFF but the S.I.T. Nova 820 valve is in the Pilot position. Great valve.

===> Are you saying there is or is not a problem?

Also, if there is no label on this surround, what would be the best thing for to do? Say that the surround should be considered suspect of being made of combustible material?

Bob

Bob Harper
09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Most guys just pack insulation around the gas line to insulate it from the chassis and block some cold air.

The sloping pipe just means you may not have any slack to lift the pipe and pack insulation around it.

No problem with the valve, just showing off I know what it is and what position the knob is in. If you turn on the gas cock, gas will not flow through the valve until the pilot is lit and the knob rotated to 'on'.

Wood mantels don't have labels either. Until there is a national std. requiring it, don't hold your breath. I'd just point out there is a cast mantel of unknown material so someone needs to produce information about its suitability in that application. However, if the cast mantel meets the clearances of a combustible mantel it is not an issue.......sort of. Mantels of Corian will warp and break when exposed to heat so it may meet clearances but still have problems.

Question it and make it someone else's problem.

JB Thompson
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
When I knocked on this surround it was hollow. Has anyone seen this type of material, what is it? I'm concerned it is combustible.

Is it required for the knockout opening for the gas line be sealed when it is located under the firebox?

And , should not there be a cover plate on the outlet?

Out of curiosity, was there a chimney? I have a ventless heater in my home that looks like a fireplace (sans chimney). Basically a wood mantel (and hollow) over the self-contained gas log unit.

Bruce