PDA

View Full Version : Name this roof...

Steven Turetsky
11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
If I had to name this roof, I would probably call it Shirley, but that's me. What would you call it?

I know it is a clerestory window, but what would this type of structure/roof be called... raised dorma? shed?

Thanks

Scott Patterson
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
If I had to name this roof, I would probably call it Shirley, but that's me. What would you call it?

I know it is a clerestory window, but what would this type of structure/roof be called... raised dorma? shed?

Thanks

That is called a Skillion roof.

Mike Kleisch
11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
I've seen similar, and designers referred to the structure (or roof) as a contemporary or modern design. Roofers refer to them as something you step in, with flat areas and roof pitches out of nowhere.

John Kogel
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I would ....call it Shirley, but that's me. Hi Shirley. :D

Scott is most correct. A sloping roof, often not attached ......

"Skillion roofs can also be used to provide clerestory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerestory) windows for a hallway or similar room where a row of windows is placed below the edge of the skillion section reaching above the other roof below".

I would call it a shed roof to avoid superiority issues, but that's me. They did a poor job of flashing, eh?

Steven Turetsky
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you so much

Billy Stephens
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
What are these and Why are they there ?

Steven Turetsky
11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Do you mean these?

Jerry Peck
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
That is called a Skillion roof.

So, by definition, all sloping roof surfaces are called Skillion roofs ... ;)

There are two Skillion roofs meeting at the ridge of a gable roof; there are four Skillion roofs meeting at the hip ridges for hip roofs; two Skillion roofs not attached to each other and not meeting each other with one above the clerestory windows and one below them; etc. ...

Normally, those roofs would be called "shed" roofs ... :)

Billy Stephens
11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Do you mean these?
That Be Them.:D

Steven Turetsky
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I didn't look at them closely, but I would say alarm related.

Raymond Wand
11-24-2012, 05:31 AM
I would say shed too.

Skillion roof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skillion_roof)

Roof Construction (http://www.homedesigndirectory.com.au/construction/roof-construction.shtml)

John Ritter
11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Non Hip "other"

stanley frost
11-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Is kickout / diverter flashing required where the roof terminates at the stucco?

Jerry Peck
11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Is kickout / diverter flashing required where the roof terminates at the stucco?

Yes ... unless you can figure out some other way to make sure that no water enters that junction where the roof end "in" the stucco. ;)

Steven Turetsky
11-27-2012, 06:54 AM

I don't know about a kickout flashing, but I would certainly like to see more (higher clearance than what is already there) flashing (or a cricket of sorts), and flashing around the trim in order to create a sealable joint the entire way around the roof edge/chimney transition.

I also recommended removing the old clerestory windows and building a curb (minimum 2"-4" high) under the windows that could be flashed and sealed.

Paul Kondzich
11-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Non Hip "other"

I dont think they are familiar with the 1802 form...