PDA

View Full Version : Gas meter above driveway.

Gene South
12-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Gas meter above driveway. I haven't had time yet to research this but I thought I would throw it out there for comments. At this point I am not sure if this is an issue or not (due to possibility of trapping gas below concrete). I seem to recall some gas meters on commercial buildings above paved or concrete parking lots. This may be an issue or maybe not. As mentioned I have not researched it yet but thougth I would post it for comments.

Eric Barker
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
My concern would be a vehicle hitting the meter. I always recommend bollards be installed.

Scott Patterson
12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Gas meter above driveway. At this point I am not sure if this is an issue or not (due to possibility of trapping gas below concrete). .

Kind of like trapping gas under the bedsheets! :D

Richard Skalski
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I would say the piping should be encased and not have any contact with the cement. Alkaline deterioration will occur otherwise. I would not be able to verify no contact below the grade.

Brandon Whitmore
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Concrete shouldn't be poured directly up against the riser, technically. The gas company in my area won't make an issue of it, nor will they fix it.
The guard post (bollard) would be required though.

Natural gas will seep right through dry asphalt, but not concrete.....

tom daley
12-21-2012, 12:32 PM
FWIW:

1. Install bollards if the meter is exposed to traffic, however, there's also an unprotected A/C unit in 6ft proximity.

2. There is no shut-off valve on the incoming gas pipe - it should come before the regulator just after the gas pipe leaves the ground.
There is a shut-off wrongly positioned on the outlet piping.
Perhaps that fitting just below the regulator is a shut-off? It's difficult to tell. If it is, then two isolaters is unusual but i dont think it's against Ca/UPC Code.

3. There should be a plugged 3/4" test tee on the outlet side of the meter.

4. The gas pipe underground and breaking the concrete should be wrapped. The in-situ arrangement appears to be a "stake" to hold the riser in position during the pour.

Brandon Whitmore
12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
2. There is no shut-off valve on the incoming gas pipe - it should come before the regulator just after the gas pipe leaves the ground.

The valve is there. Note that it's set up to be able to lock it out.

There is a shut-off wrongly positioned on the outlet piping.

That's called a customer valve. We install those on all new residential meter sets so that the customer can shut off gas to the house without messing with our meter.

3. There should be a plugged 3/4" test tee on the outlet side of the meter.

There are different standards for different areas, eras, etc.

Lon Henderson
12-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I see this sort of thing several times a year. The local gas company never says anything about it. But there should be a slip gasket around the pipe penetrations in the concrete. The bollards is a good idea, but I've never seen those installed. Bad ideas, stupid installations, and dumbness should be pointed out, even if the local utility companies don't care.

Jerry Peck
12-29-2012, 12:03 PM
The bollards is a good idea, but I've never seen those installed.

I've seen bollards installed to protect gas, water, and electrical vales/equipment/meters at apartment complexes and commercial sites, but not at dwelling units ... then again ;) I've not see gas meters installed at driveways or parking areas at dwelling units either (surely that cannot be because our contractors are 'smarter' and know better, not with all the other stupid things they do :) ).

Lon Henderson
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
(surely that cannot be because our contractors are 'smarter' and know better, not with all the other stupid things they do :) ).
Our stupid contractors can match up with any anywhere.;)

Bob Harper
12-29-2012, 07:08 PM
PART 192—TRANSPORTATION OF NATURAL AND OTHER GAS BY PIPELINE: MINIMUM FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS :: PART 192--TRANSPORTATION OF NATURAL AND OTHER GAS BY PIPELINE: MINIMUM FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS :: CHAPTER I--PIPELINE AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SAF (http://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-3.1.1.1.3.html#49:3.1.1.1.3.8.9.2)

Federal CFR covers the meter to the connection downstream of the meter, which is technically the "point of distribution" or where the local gas code picks up. That would be the right hand joint coming off the meter.

You can skim down the link to 192.353 and on for meter installation regs.

Enjoy!

Bill Hetner
12-31-2012, 06:39 AM
I have seen where abs piping has been installed around the pipe going thru concrete. this protects the pipe from the cement. bollards for protection strongly recomended here also.

Jim Hintz
12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
I'd fire the cement finisher, he was shaky and broomed it too wet ! :D

Nick Ostrowski
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
My concern would be a vehicle hitting the meter. I always recommend bollards be installed.

+1. I recommend the same when I see this.