PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the construction of this Outdoor Fireplace

Rick Hurst
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Any opinions? The metal firebox is surrounded with plywood material.
I will refrain myself as I would like my friend to hear from other inspectors on the subject.

Rick

Rick Cantrell
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
As long as it's that Fire Proof wood, I don't see a problem.;)

Gunnar Alquist
12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I will refrain myself as I would like my friend to hear from other inspectors on the subject.

Rick

What's the problem Rick? It's outside. Should burn nicely. :rolleyes:

Brandon Whitmore
12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Wood fired tiki torch.

Jim Luttrall
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
All joking aside, how would this be any different from and indoor fireplace that is built into a wood framed wall?
Of course there is the weather resistant factor for both the wood and the factory built FP but as long as the installation requirements are met, I don't see a problem.
Not my cup of tea, but it might be legal.

Rick Cantrell
12-05-2012, 05:01 AM
... how would this be any different from and indoor fireplace that is built into a wood framed wall?

The wood framed wall is covered with fire resistant stone, brick, tile or drywall.

What is shown in the photo is someone preparing for a bonfire.

Anyone want Smores?

Jim Luttrall
12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
The wood framed wall is covered with fire resistant stone, brick, tile or drywall.

Does the manufacturer require fire resistant wall covering?

If that is a prefab fireplace that is exactly how they are built INSIDE the house. I fail to see how that built OUTSIDE is anymore of a fire hazard than the hundred of thousands we see around here.
Some one tell me what I am missing, Ugliness and weather resistance aside.

Gunnar Alquist
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Does the manufacturer require fire resistant wall covering? If that is a prefab fireplace that is exactly how they are built INSIDE the house. I fail to see how that built OUTSIDE is anymore of a fire hazard than the hundred of thousands we see around here.
Some one tell me what I am missing, Ugliness and weather resistance aside.

Well, it looks to me like the plywood has been taken down to the firebox opening. Should be some amount of clearance to the plywood. 6" is what comes to mind, but I would have to look it up.

Jim Robinson
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
The clearances should all be listed in the manufacturer's installation instructions. That's about the only relevant document for this abomination.

Garry Blankenship
12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Somewhere among the I.N. legion is a fireplace Ghuru. I'd have to note concern for adequate clearence to combustible materials. Probably could hot help from drawing another arrow to it with the comment "WHY ?"

Chris McIntyre
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Zero clearance fireplace with properly installed vent? I don't see an issue.
Exterior appears to be stucco or EIFS, if stucco that would be non combustible. Safe to assume the mantel wont be wood since it is outside?

As long as the unit is installed per manufacturing requirements I would be more worried about water intrusion/damage to the framing than fire.

Jerry Peck
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Rick

My first question would be, has been when I have found those, is this: Is that fireplace rated and listed to be used outdoors?

The answer is likely "No.", but fireplaces are available which are rated and listed for use outdoors.

My second question would be: Does it meet the required clearances? If it does, then the fire should remain in the fireplace, as Bob Harper says.

Bob Harper
12-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Is this unit listed for outdoor use and made of stainless steel? What do the listed instructions call for with regards to non-combustible materials above and around the unit?