PDA

View Full Version : dishwasher drains into laundry tub?

John Arnold
12-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Here's a question I never thought I'd have to ask:

If it's ok for a clothes washer to drain into a laundry tub, what about a dishwasher? Anyone ever see such a thing?

Mike Kleisch
12-05-2012, 08:29 AM
It’s pretty much a no in the WI plumbing codes. Clothes washers shall discharge via air-break, which could be a sink. But, in our code residential dishwashers can discharge via air-gap or air-break under the counter or above the counter and is pretty detailed about the connections. The only exception that comes to mind off the top of my head is portable dishwashers.

Benjamin Thompson
12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Kind of disgusting, but I can't see a problem with it.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
kitchen sinks, waste grinders, dishwashers and toilets are generally considered black water waste and must be discharged into the sanitary system (continuous contiguous closed direct waste transport connections).

Peter Louis
12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Why was the DW set up at laundry?

Larry Morrison
12-07-2012, 05:59 AM
I guess we are looking at the sanitation side of this, but A related problem would be the danger of scalding since most dishwashers heat the water to 140+. Someone using the sink when the dishwasher discharges could be a safety concern.

Lon Henderson
12-07-2012, 06:34 AM
I usually see this in very old homes. Back in 2008, there was a similar thread about this topic. The problem with these setups is that they rarely discharge above the flood line of the sink.

John Arnold
12-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Why was the DW set up at laundry?

The laundry is in the basement directly under the kitchen.

Scott Patterson
12-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I would report it as "unconventional" and that unconventional items tend to preform in unconventional ways.

I think how it is connected depends if your area uses the IRC or UPC. Neither say it is OK to drain directly into a sink.