PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Truss is this

Bill Wieczorek
09-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I haven't seen a truss like this what is the hanger in the middle for.

Jerry Peck
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Guessing, just guessing, the truss designer calculated out that there would not be any compression loads placed on the center vertical, that it would only be in tension.

Like, yeah, right, man. :D

You can see the bowing of some of those straps, meaning they are in compression.

Bill Wieczorek
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks Jerry. This was in a 1950's home, if I recall most were built for veterans. All of them look alike accept for the exterior colors. This one should be knocked down and re-built it has so many problems.

Bruce Breedlove
09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Were these trusses built on site? If so the straps may have been used as a jig (to position the chords correctly) or to keep the framers from asking why the trusses didn't have any vertical support.

brian schmitt
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
looks like two modular units with a fill in for the center section. triple wides will have this feature.

Bill Wieczorek
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Couldn't tell you if the trusser's were built on site. I didn't think it was a double wide either. The crawl space door was carpeted over so much for that part of the inspection or I may have had a better idea if it were a trailer, opps, double wide

Eric Barker
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Bill,

This one was in Carpentersville, about the same age. I really don't have any more info on this framing - weird though. They certainly were not under tension.