PDA

View Full Version : Inspection after pouring slab

JIMMY JOHN
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
hi ,
I am building a new home and I did not realize that we had to do a pre pour inspection. Currently the pour is over and the builder has started the framing. At this point what sort of foundation inspection would be recommended? I do not see any visible cracks on the foundation but just wanted to get a second opinion.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jimmy

Jim Luttrall
12-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Too late to do any sort of relevant inspection at this point.
Hopefully there was a municipal inspection or your builder was using a third party engineer/ inspection.
Are you within a municipality that requires building permits and inspections?

Ken Amelin
12-10-2012, 04:21 AM
If you took pictures that could satisfy the inspector. It will be up to them.
You should check with them and let them know what happened prior to moving on any further.

Ted Menelly
12-10-2012, 07:47 AM
hi ,
I am building a new home and I did not realize that we had to do a pre pour inspection. Currently the pour is over and the builder has started the framing. At this point what sort of foundation inspection would be recommended? I do not see any visible cracks on the foundation but just wanted to get a second opinion.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jimmy

Other than the next step from a home inspector to do a pre-drywall inspection the foundation for the moment is not in question. Other than cobalt xray (kidding but that is something real but out of reality in pricing) . At the pre drywall inspection or for that matter an inspection that comes after that, pre closing inspection, some items may come to light with the foundation. By the way, you should have both those inspections.

Jimmy John as in the sub shop around the corner from me? :)

Scott Patterson
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
You need to stop all work and call the local county or city to see what if any requirements they have.

Next and depending on the type of loan you will have (FHA or VA or other endorsed type loan) you need to contact the loan folks and get them to get with their underwriter to see what type of inspections they are going to require. If it is a government endorsed loan like an FHA or VA you will be required to have inspections done during the construction process.

This is a good example of an inexperienced builder who does not have a clue as to the proper building process.

Dale Trach
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Too late to do any sort of relevant inspection at this point.
Hopefully there was a municipal inspection or your builder was using a third party engineer/ inspection.
Are you within a municipality that requires building permits and inspections?

Would the AHJ also check the sideyards & setback distances at the formwork stage?