PDA

View Full Version : Odd vent cap

Jack Feldmann
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
This was on the house I inspected today. I have never seen a cap like this. Kinda looks like a air check valve, but no writing on it at all. They had one on each of the plumbing vents thru the roof. I unscrewed it and couldn't really tell anything about it.

Vent not open to exterior, and it was reduced by the threaded adapter.

Bruce Breedlove
09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
That's a new one on me.

Billy Stephens
09-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Jack,

Weekend Warrior trying to keep them open pipes free from insects,leafs,water intrusion?

Any signs of past leakage on underside by vents?

Jerry Peck
09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Vent not open to exterior, and it was reduced by the threaded adapter.

You unscrewed it and it was a cap, with a threaded adapter, and no vents open to the outdoors ... right?

What it looks like, at first and from a distance, is an Oatey AAV, however, once I looked closer, it does not resemble an Oatey AAV at all, but, it does look like a 'cap', a 'reducer' (slip/threaded), a threaded nipple, a coupling, and ... what did it look like when you turned it over?

I'm guessing that some home owner, or 'handyman', said 'you got hole sticking up through the roof letting rodents and froggys in, *and I* know how to close them up ... with a coupling with a reducer in it, and a threaded nipple, with a cap screwed on - THAT will close those holes up and keep those critters out.

But ... what did it look like when you turned it over? Any photos?

Billy Stephens
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE]
froggys in, *and I* know how to close them up ... with a coupling with a reducer in it, and a threaded nipple, with a cap screwed on -

Mr. Peck,

I have been in some frog choker down pours in Florida couldn't see past the windshield
wipers. But never knew they hopped around on the roofs.:D

Jerry Peck
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I have been in some frog choker down pours in Florida couldn't see past the windshield wipers. But never knew they hopped around on the roofs.:D

Yep, I've seen 'em hiding down inside the plumbing vent stacks. :)

Dom D'Agostino
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
The frogs love the vent stacks, I see them inside the vents all the time while on the roof.
And most clients hate it when the frogs come up for a swim in the nearest toilet. :)

Jack Feldmann
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I took a photo, but it wasn't clear. It was black threaded and I could not tell anything else. This is new construction, so the builder did this.
There was only a stock # code on the plastic, no manf tag or label of any kind.

Billy Stephens
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Jack,

Maybe Builder plugged vents in anticipation of installing Auto Vents.

tried to upload page with picture.

Found at FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY dot COM the largest award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath Internet catalog since 1995 provides great service. We have the largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with 1,972 paged plumbing catalog. Since (http://www.plumbingsupply.com)

Air Admittance Valves model has Male treads.

Jerry Peck
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
This is new construction, so the builder did this.

Or the plumber ... instead of use his inflatable test balls he just 'temporarily' capped them, and forgot them?