PDA

View Full Version : Window/window seat

brianmiller
12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I forgot to take a pic but you'll get the idea from my crude illustration.

Is the window with the window seat in front of it required to be tempered/safety glass? I'm thinking it does it because it doesn't meet all the requirements for safety glazing....although I think it should be...hmmm but what could would that do if you stand on the seat and fall out the window!

The window is about 9 sq ft, fixed and about 12" from the walking floor.

thanks,

b

Corey Friedman
12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
I forgot to take a pic but you'll get the idea from my crude illustration.

Is the window with the window seat in front of it required to be tempered/safety glass? I'm thinking it does it because it doesn't meet all the requirements for safety glazing....although I think it should be...hmmm but what could would that do if you stand on the seat and fall out the window!

thanks,

b

Hi Brian,

I have to say that I am a bit confused by your post. However, does it really
matter to you if tempered glass is "required"? If you think it is problem with regular glass and tempered glass would be a safety improvement, express your thoughts and concerns to your client. It can really be that simple.

Best Wishes,

Corey

Chris McIntyre
12-16-2012, 07:17 PM
....because it doesn't meet all the requirements for safety glazing....

If it is 9 sq ft, what doesn't meet the requirements?

..hmmm but what could would that do if you stand on the seat and fall out the window!

???
If you are talking about the window breaking for someone to fall out, safety glass wouldn't stop that.

I personally don't see a window seat making a window any more dangerous...but I know others will disagree. Some here can see a loose receptacle cover as an electrocution hazard. :D

wayne soper
12-17-2012, 03:39 AM
if a window seat wil allow a child to crawl up and access the window lock, the window should be made childproof. if a child could then smash their head through the glass, then safety glass or film is required.
no code, common sense. i don't care about code, i care about protecting my clients and their family

Garry Sorrells
12-17-2012, 05:11 AM
The concern is less about falling through the window as it breaking and having large shards slice the person up. Same issue as having a window next to a bath required to be safety glass. But it is about location and proximity to the seat. Really cold not make it out from drawing clearly.

Jack Feldmann
12-17-2012, 05:29 AM
If it meets ALL 4 requirements for safety glass, then it MUST be (but it has to meet all 4).

Even if it doesn't meet all of the requirements for safety glass, you may still want to suggest it (like Corey said).

michael avis
12-17-2012, 05:59 AM
If the sash is fixed then it seems one would have to do a kamikaze leap to break out the window. It seems very unlikely that a child would/could have/generate enough mass/momentum to break through the window. A teen or adult probably could. Safety glazing or no.

I would not write this up just like I would not write up the potential safety problem of falling through 1/2" GWB in an attic.

Vern Heiler
12-17-2012, 07:39 AM
From a safety point, how does it differ from putting the kitchen table and chair or any other furniture near a window?