PDA

View Full Version : Copper piping with other gases

Dave Rose
12-11-2012, 05:22 AM
During an inspection yesterday, I found a soft copper pipe used for gas. I know this MAY be an issue if the copper is not tin-lined. However, on this house, there was a fuel storage tank outside. I therefore have two questions.

1) Is non tin-lined copper pipe unsafe with ALL gases, or is LP/propane ok?

2) When you see such a fuel storage tank, how do you know which type of gas is in it? The homeowners were not there to ask.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Rose
12-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Just found this post.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/15692d1263816673-copper-natural-gas-lines-scan0001.jpg

Scott Patterson
12-11-2012, 06:38 AM
During an inspection yesterday, I found a soft copper pipe used for gas. I know this MAY be an issue if the copper is not tin-lined. However, on this house, there was a fuel storage tank outside. I therefore have two questions.

1) Is non tin-lined copper pipe unsafe with ALL gases, or is LP/propane ok?

2) When you see such a fuel storage tank, how do you know which type of gas is in it? The homeowners were not there to ask.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't say I have ever heard of copper pipe with a tin liner or coating.

Dave Rose
12-14-2012, 03:49 AM
I can't say I have ever heard of copper pipe with a tin liner or coating.

P&J Tin Lined Copper Coils (http://www.pjtube.com/products/tinned/Default.aspx)

Raymond Wand
12-14-2012, 05:00 AM
There are only two fuel tanks you would typically see.

1. Propane
2. Fuel oil tank

Garry Sorrells
12-14-2012, 06:12 AM

Thanks,

Dave

Made me think about what might be found and if it was not obvious from experience what it was.

What types of gas/fluid you think would be in the storage tanks that are not marked? Made me think for a moment what you might find; #2 Heating oil, diesel, kerosene, hydrological fluid, lubrication oils, jet fuel, petrol (gasoline), propane (LP).

Determining contents; tank design, fluids' appearance, smell, taste, flame, what it is attached to, type of pump connected to tank.