Jim Robinson
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
It's why we have jobs, I guess.

Mike Kleisch
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
What??? You don't care for the rustic look... :rolleyes:

Benjamin Thompson
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
At least the post is below the joint (sort of).;)
I'm guessing that's going to be a straw bale house.

Jim Robinson
12-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow, you are really good. This is a straw bale house, although this is outside on the front deck. This was my first straw bale house inspection. Not too different from a regular house at this point, but pretty cool build. The house was built at the end of the 90's.

Ken Amelin
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
The way the roof is framed it looks like that beam is a collar tie that is not continuous. From the picture you have posted, that looks more of a problem than the column support.

Darrel Hood
12-18-2012, 04:25 AM
I am curious to know what you identified to the client as problematic.

Garry Sorrells
12-18-2012, 04:32 AM
It's why we have jobs, I guess.

Dang, "cut it 4 times and it is still to short".
Then sent the new guy to the truck to get the wood stretcher. Told him to keep looking till he found it.

Chris McIntyre
12-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I am curious to know what you identified to the client as problematic.

Beam connection, attachment to column, exposed OSB...is my guess for starters. :)

Benjamin Thompson
12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
looks to me like the beam is hanging over the edge of the post by an inch or 2 which also makes me think the posts are not lined up.

Jim,
It just looks like typical post and beam framing for straw bale infill. I thought "under construction" due to the unfinished look, exposed OSB, etc.

I kind of enjoyed the first straw bale home I inspected. After the second, I vowed to never inspect another one.
There seems to be no real standards or even agreement on how to build, particularly on whether the exterior stucco should be sealed or "allowed to breathe". I have seen both and one or the other is most likely wrong, but I don't know which. I would say many of these homes are going to have serious problems down the road if they don't already.