PDA

View Full Version : GPS keeps track of mileage

Scott Patterson
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
I just discovered that my GPS keeps track of where I go during my day and I can use this in place of my paper log for tax records! I put every inspection address I go to in my GPS and it has been keeping up with them for the entire year!

It logs the date, address, latitude/longitude/ how long it took to drive and even the estimated amount of gas it took.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1390

This is a major time saver as I do not have to keep the log book for the miles driven. It downloads into an Excel spreadsheet.

Plug you GPS in to your computer. Let it load and then open the GPS just like a flashdrive. Click on Reports and see what you have!

Trent Tarter
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Good info. Scott, thanks for sharing. I was thinking about buying a GPS.

Nick Ostrowski
12-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Good info. Scott, thanks for sharing. I was thinking about buying a GPS.

Once you get one Trent, you'll wonder how you got by without it.

Lon Henderson
12-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Plus you can prove to your wife that you didn't spend two hours at the bar.

Jack Feldmann
12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I need to replace my old GPS with one that has forever maps.
Lon, the downside is the wife CAN find out when you have spent 2 hours at a bar. There's no hiding!

Jim Luttrall
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Lon, the downside is the wife CAN find out when you have spent 2 hours at a bar. There's no hiding!

She already has an app on your phone for that!

Lon Henderson
12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
You have to park 5 blocks away from the bar. The upside is that you are fit to drive by the time you find your car to go home.

JB Thompson
12-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I thought it was more believable to write down mileage in a book with different pens, writing, etc... ;)

Dennis Webber
12-21-2012, 11:25 PM
We use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It lays out the total driving time and mileage, and and how much to bill the client for travel time and mileage.

When I'm on the road and need to find directions to a new client, I use an app called Navigator in my Droid cell phone. Another app changes the cell phone into a bright flashlight. I also store useful lookups of the IRC and NEC in the cell.

We've also used cell phones to flash video form one inspection site to another to get help on a particular item of question. Always good to have another set of eyes, even if that other set is several hundred miles away.

Ken Amelin
12-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Scott - Thanks!! Who knew???

I love my GPS and can't go anywhere without it. Now I have other uses for it.
Great info.