PDA

View Full Version : Flexible insulated ducting info.

Scott West
12-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm looking for specific information on flexible insulated ducting. Found a house with silver ducting installed in crawlspace. Ducting is in direct contact with ground, and in a few areas does not have clearance to be raised off ground. I know this isn't acceptable, however would like more specific info. indicating installation and acceptable materials. Thanks!

Alton Darty
12-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm looking for specific information on flexible insulated ducting. Found a house with silver ducting installed in crawlspace. Ducting is in direct contact with ground, and in a few areas does not have clearance to be raised off ground. I know this isn't acceptable, however would like more specific info. indicating installation and acceptable materials. Thanks!

2009 IRC is all I have available to me at this moment. This help any?

MI601.4.6 Factory-made air ducts. Factory-made air
ducts shall not be installed in or on the ground, in tile or
metal pipe, or within masonry or concrete.

M 1601.4.7 Duct separation. Ducts shall be installed with
at least 4 inches (102 mm) separation from earth except
where they meet the requirements of Section M1601.1.2.

Robert Ernst
12-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Scott, I'm not sure what you mean by insulation and acceptable materials. I agree with the ducts should be at least 4" off the ground. This prevents moisture damage and helps keep it from being a highway for pests. Also properly supported ducts will perform better by allowing a smoother pipe for the air to flow reducing static loss. In your area you probably see what I see here which is manufactured homes where the large supply to the other side is laying on the dirt.

Bob Harper
12-27-2012, 07:25 AM
National Insulation Association (http://www.insulation.org/index.cfm)

Insulate Today. Save Tomorrow. : NAIMA North American Insulation Manufacturers Association (http://www.naima.org/index.php)

You can probably find some good info. from these two resources that may not be code but industry stds.

HTH