PDA

View Full Version : Drain configuration question

Jeff Eastman
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Jerry Peck
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Should the washer drain line (see photo1) have it's own p-trap and vent rather than using the kitchen sink drain line?

Nope. What's in your photo is one correct way.

But ... where does that other drain line go to which is going off to the left of the 'tee' down from the sink?

First, though, that sink will have poor draining capability with it draining down to a 'tee' like that - the waste drains down and hits the bottom of the 'tee', then needs to figure out which way is 'down' from there. The correct way would be for it to drain down into the top of the 'tee' (like the disposer is connected into the other 'tee'), with the side of the 'tee' going out to whatever is to the left.

Jim Luttrall
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Jerry, read the original post again, from your comment, I don't think you got the layout that I had pictured in my mind. I think the far left is from a clothes washer in another room, the middle is the left sink and the right is the disposer... I would think that the setup would be wrong, but I can't quote the reasons right now, got to get back to my report.
Jim

Jeff Eastman
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Jerry, read the original post again, from your comment, I don't think you got the layout that I had pictured in my mind. I think the far left is from a clothes washer in another room, the middle is the left sink and the right is the disposer... I would think that the setup would be wrong, but I can't quote the reasons right now, got to get back to my report.
Jim

Jim, the washer is not in another room, adacent left to the cabinet you see in the photo.

Jerry Peck
09-25-2007, 05:10 PM
For a "clothes" washer (which was not stated, so I skipped over 'what type of' "washer") - that's all wrong.

A "clothes washer" requires at least a 2" drain, not a 1-1/2" drain like at that sink.

Plus, that is not allowed to dump into the kitchen sink (refer to other long drawn out discussions regarding what is allowed to connect where when used for "domestic" or culinary purposes).

That clothes washer probably backs suds and maybe even water up and out, and that pump driven discharge could separate those slip joints - they are not made for that force or volume of water.

Jim Luttrall
09-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Well put, Jerry.
Now I have GOT to get back to my report.
This board is addictive!

brian schmitt
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
jeff,
in picture #2 the drain slope should be 2% minimum and that corrugated drain line is a code violation. code reads"smooth interior waterway" for drain piping. this stuff is a hacks best friend:D

Jerry Peck
09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
in picture #2

photo #2?

Oops ... :o I guess I got to looking at photo #1 and skipped photo #2 -

Yeppers, those flexible drain lines are allowed to be manufactured, are allowed to be sold, are allowed to be bought, BUT they are not allowed to be installed. :)

Daddy, what's that funny looking corrugated thingy hanging up on the wall?

Well, my son, that is one of the biggest catches Daddy ever made - I went to the store and bought one, knowing I was not allowed to install it, so there it is - framed and on display.

Jerry McCarthy
09-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Here's a photo of one of JP's thingys. He managed to get two defects for the price of one. Way to go Jerry! ;)

John Arnold
09-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Why, that's a lower radiator hose for a 1966 Plymouth Valiant!

BARRY ADAIR
09-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Why, that's a lower radiator hose for a 1966 Plymouth Valiant!

Good eye "Mopar Man"

David Banks
09-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Slant 6