PDA

View Full Version : Liner question

wayne soper
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Does the chimney liner require a concrete seal at the top or is this open version acceptable with the vent flopping around in the wind? I usually see a sealed flue but am wondering about code requirements. Thanks, wayne

Jerry Peck
09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Simpson shows that flexible liner going to rigid Type B gas vent once past the snaking part and into the straight part.

They also stated

- - (a) Measurements. Measure and record the dimension as shown on Figure 25
(Height "A"). You will need an additional 12" of vent above the masonry chimney. It is a good idea to allow for a little extra height in your measurements.
- - (b) Pipe and Fitting Requirements. The bottom 5 foot section of vent will be Flex Pipe (used to get around the smoke shelf, and to connect to the appliance). The remainder will be rigid B-Vent Pipe Sections. For each pipe joint, subtract 1-1/2 inches.

Then they show a metal chimney cap constructed and sized to fit the chimney with the Type B gas vent going up through it, with a storm collar and Type B gas vent cap.

Nick Ostrowski
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Looks like a sloppy shortcut to me Wayne.

Eric Barker
09-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Gotta seal top and bottom of liner otherwise the original liner is not closed off from exhaust gases and embers.

wayne soper
09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys. As usual I told them to tear the house down around the liner and leave it standing all alone and everything would be OK

Randy Brooks
09-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Wayne,

Several things would make this easier, but this is a great picture. Not knowing what type of appliance this liner is connected to, (Gas, pellet, wood insert or other) it’s hard to say. But just for fun, let’s say this is a six inch round, all fuels liner in a 12 X 12 flue liner, connected to a wood-burning insert. The manufacture of the liner will require insulation, top plate, collar and listed termination. This installation appears to have none of these items. The multi-flue spark arrestor is for the masonry open fireplace, not any vented hearth appliance.

Exultant time to recommend that level II inspection be performed by a qualified inspector.

Note that the appliance probably operates fine and the client has had no issues with this installation. If this is the visible evidence of the installer’s lack of knowledge, I wonder what the rest looks like?