PDA

View Full Version : Whole house ventilation system

Trent Tarter
01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Home was built in 1994, has a whole house ventillation system that's connected to the HVAC ductwork. I have never seen one with an air intake vent installed in the crawlspace. This just looks bad, drawing musty air from crawlspace into the home. I am guessing that the vent was intended to be routed outdoors.

Scott Patterson
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Home was built in 1994, has a whole house ventillation system that's connected to the HVAC ductwork. I have never seen one with an air intake vent installed in the crawlspace. This just looks bad, drawing musty air from crawlspace into the home. I am guessing that the vent was intended to be routed outdoors.

Is that by chance a sealed crawlspace?

Trent Tarter
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
No it's not a sealed crawlspace. Standard vented crawl.

Raymond Wand
01-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Looks like a motorized damper which has not been wired in, which means its not functioning as per intended use.

David Bell
01-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Looks like it could be a dump damper that would tie into the zone panel.

Lon Henderson
01-10-2013, 06:31 AM
We don't have contraptions like that around here, but,in general, mixing crawlspace air into the home air seems like a really bad idea for several reasons.

Jerry Peck
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
We don't have contraptions like that around here, but,in general, mixing crawlspace air into the home air seems like a really bad idea for several reasons.

Agreed ... it is a really, really, really stupid idea to take air from the crawlspace and suck it up into the living space ... unless the crawlspace was lined and being used as a return air plenum (which is still not real smart), and in which case it would not be 'fresh air' anyway.

Trent Tarter
01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes it's definitely not a good idea to pull air from crawlsapce into the home. I am recommending an HVAC contractor evaluate and repair. The damper was connected to low voltage wire. I see these types of air exchange systems installed in homes built in the early 90's. Typically the electronic damper is connected to an exterior vent.

Jim Luttrall
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but are you sure it was on the air return and not the supply?
I could see having a supply duct ala' Dr. Joe in a conditioned crawl space.

Jim Luttrall
01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
As Raymond said it is a damper system for fresh air to outside not the crawlspace. This is usually hooked up to a HRV or ERV on the return and they may not have gotten the unit installed or just did not set up the supply to outside yet.
I think you mean Trent, not Raymond. Yeah, I saw that but I was asking if he was SURE it was on the return, not supply side.

With the screen it looks like this was an intentional installation, not an oversight.

Trent Tarter
01-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Temporary screen to prevent possible nesting until the full fresh air vent is installed.

That's what I was thinking.

John Kogel
01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Temporary screen to prevent possible nesting until the full fresh air vent is installed.

That's what I was thinking.Temporary since '94, yeah, right.

Most people are pretty clueless when it comes to HRV systems. I find them turned off more often than not and the intakes are stuffed full of sticks and leaves.
I rarely find them in the new houses. It was like a passing fad in this climate. We can just open a window to get fresh air, why not, eh?