PDA

View Full Version : NM liquid Tight to EMT connection

Warren Alderman
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Tim Moreira
04-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes as long as they use the correct connector. It looks like they did.

Jerry Peck
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, but not like that.

When done correctly, the liquid tight will come straight down off the fitting at the EMT, not being pulled at an angle at the fitting, as shown in the photo.

Close ... but no cigar.

John Steinke
04-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not convinced that the correct fitting was used. I don't see much of that 'all plastic' stuff, so I don't know if there even IS a single connector for that use.

Since a section of the stuff is used, the EMT wilol need to have a ground wire in it.

The application, while it can be done this way 'legally,' is a bit unusual. I'd take that as a clue that some untrained folks were playing with the electric, and look at everything a lot closer.

dick whitfield
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
It appears that there is an EMT raintite coupling connecting the EMT to the flex. It would be better if they had used an EMT connector, threaded coupling, and a flex connector. A grounding conductor would be needed.

Tim Moreira
04-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Dick,

Just as a point of clarification.

A grounding conductor would be needed.

Question: If there was a grounding conductor *in* the EMT, then there would not need to be a grounding conductor added. *Assuming* of course, that the ground wire was in the EMT and passed through the liquid tight to the box.

Or, is the EMT conduit being used as the ground???

If the EMT was used *as the ground*, then yes, a ground wire is needed. If the EMT has a ground wire in (meaning the EMT was not used as the ground) it and it passes through then no it does not need an additional ground.

I suppose it all depends on how it is wired, of which, we would never know unless we opened the box.

That's the question???

Do we all agree? Or am I missing something here???

dick whitfield
04-07-2007, 06:52 AM
My thought is that you need to run a gounding wire whenever you run non-metallic flex.

Jerry Peck
04-07-2007, 09:02 AM
My thought is that you need to run a gounding wire whenever you run non-metallic flex.

Agreed.

But ... if those are *white* conductors attached to the screws, and if that is a 240 volt circuit, the *white* could be (but should not be) being used as the equipment grounding conductors.

There "should be" equipment grounding conductor in the non-metallic conduit (any type, flexible or rigid) and those equipment grounding conductors "should be" green (or the "green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.").

If, however, those white conductors are connected to screws which are connected to the enclosure and they are being used as neutral or grounded conductors ... well, that is just plain not allowed and not safe.