PDA

View Full Version : The Most Important Pipe in your New House

Rick Hurst
09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Thought this was a great idea.

Eric Shuman
10-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Rick,

Unfortunately, what I have found many times is that the builders will not give the home buyers a copy of the building plans on spec homes, citing something about copyrights or something to that effect. I have had several clients ask for a copy of the plans only to be told "no" by the builder, so my clients will go around the house during construction taking (detailed) digital photos so they will know where the plumbing, electrical, etc is in the walls.

Although most clients could care less about the plans or how the house is designed, I heard of one client who took the site plans over night and made copies when the builder refused to provide them with a set.

I understand wanting to copyright your work or what not, but do they really think the average homeowner is going to go into the new home business and start building houses with their design, or sell the design to another builder for some quick cash? I think it's a dumb policy. Perhaps they are concerned that the client will study the plans and realize all of the mistakes and deviations from the original plans that they bargained for.

Eric

Jim Luttrall
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Eric, I think you hit the nail on the head, builders don't want to have to explain why the deviate from the plans.
Also, think of the liability to the builder if the homeowner realizes there was something not done according to the specifications.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a copy from the city, public records and all?

Nolan Kienitz
10-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Jim,

When my wife and I moved to Houston over 12 years ago we dealt with a "new production" home.

Tried everything we could to get copies of the plans. No way in heck was that happening ... privacy, copyright and whatever other excuse could be brought up was brought up.

No plans on site ... supervisor kept them in his truck.

I was their worst nightmare during the construction phases ... and I was not inspecting residential at the time !!

Jerry Peck
10-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Tried everything we could to get copies of the plans. No way in heck was that happening ... privacy, copyright and whatever other excuse could be brought up was brought up.

Go down to the building department and get a copy.

They *must* provide you a copy, usually at a buck per page for "copying". Once submitted for plan review, "the plans, drawings and specifications" *are now public records* - to which you or anyone else may obtain a copy of them.

The only catch is that you may not use them for submittal purposes to build from or do anything like that.

If they give you a hard time, remind them that the plans are "public records", and, as a "member of the public" *YOU* are entitled to obtain a copy - and that you know there will be a "reasonable cost" for doing to.

BARRY ADAIR
10-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Rick,

Yes, it is great advice but it may be easier for the less crafty to just order a plan tube

Carrying Tubes (http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/tubes.htm)