PDA

View Full Version : Polaris pool sweep motor not mounted to concrete pad

Gene South
02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Seems like I see this on every pool inspection, where the main filter pump is mounted to the concrete pad, however the polaris pump motor is not mounted to the pad, but rather just sitting on top of the pad. I see this so often I am starting to wonder if there is a reason for it. I used to write it up but I think maybe I am missing something and it should not be mounted? Anyone know?

Dom D'Agostino
02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
The pressure assist pump for the pool sweep needs to be secured in the same manner as the primary pump assembly. Lazy pool techs maybe?

Jim Luttrall
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Dom nailed it. Laziness.

Jerry Peck
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Lazy and/or just don't care.

william siegel
03-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Seems every time we write that the motors are not secured, the seller calls his 'pool' guy and they all say it is not necessary. Guess most of them have never read an installation manual

Jerry Peck
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Seems every time we write that the motors are not secured, the seller calls his 'pool' guy and they all say it is not necessary. Guess most of them have never read an installation manual

The reason they say it is not necessary is that, in its infinite wisdom, at one time the Great State of Florida deemed that the pool equipment does not need to be anchored down 'because the PVC piping will hold the equipment in place' ... no, I'm not kidding ...

... however, as you pointed out (and I pointed out at the time) the equipment and their applicable codes (Mechanical and NEC) require the equipment to be anchored down ... with the exception of the filter, if the manufacturer did not specifically state that the filter needed to be anchored down then the 'infinite wisdom of Our Great State' ruled - however, virtually all filters come with holes in their bases to anchor the bases down and the installation installation instructions almost always said to anchor the base down ... so the equipment ended up being anchored down anyway. :D