PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes ... you just have to shake your head

Nolan Kienitz
09-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Noted this on a NHF (New Home Final) inspection yesterday.

Just makes you scratch your head at someone's logic (or lack thereof). :confused:

At least they are now putting on the required covers.

Richard Rushing
09-27-2007, 06:18 AM
At least yours is off to the right by a 'RCH'-- I've seen'em directly under the bib....:mad:

While the design of that cover is to keep the water out of the receptacle, you would have to think that, at some point, the homeowner may want to use the two (faucet and outlet) at the same time.

rr

Chad Fabry
10-09-2007, 02:17 AM
That is some of the crappiest brick laying I've ever seen.

Michael Thomas
04-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Upmarket new construction, this is just small sample of what was under this deck - oddly, the rest of the house was pretty good.

Jack Feldmann
04-20-2008, 06:48 AM
The stair stringer is priceless

Michael Thomas
04-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I suspect the developer is about to put a price on it... though his attitude to date has been "Well, let's be realistic, this deck is only two feet off the ground."

Dylan Whitehead
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
What would any of you suggest to help eleminate this problem? I have given two suggestions to the homeowner: 1) Move the dryer vent through the attic, 2) Move the water heater.

It may be hard to see, but this was a garage conversion and whomever ran the dryer vent terminated in the water heater closet. Not to mention it is a gas water heater.

Billy Stephens
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
What would any of you suggest to help eleminate this problem? I have given two suggestions to the homeowner: 1) Move the dryer vent through the attic, 2) Move the water heater.

It may be hard to see, but this was a garage conversion and whomever ran the dryer vent terminated in the water heater closet. Not to mention it is a gas water heater.

Why not just wait for the Fire Department to move the WH after the Fire is knocked down. :eek:

Dylan Whitehead
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
A fire was the reason I was called out to look at this. Luckily the homeowners were home when it happened.

Billy Stephens
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
A fire was the reason I was called out to look at this. Luckily the homeowners were home when it happened.

Sorry Dylan,

Thought you were a HI.

We see this type of improper dryer vent installation often. Mostly terminating in the Attic, basement & crawlspaces.

A quick look at your photos also show an improper TPR discharge line.

Any other pictures?

Dylan Whitehead
05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Actually I am a building inspector for our city. This whole installation was horrible. The vent was also covered in lent, the gas line kinked and you could harldly see the shut off. I told the homeowner that they need to have a plumber come out and correct the water heater and have somebody reroute the dryer vent before we would allow the gas to be turned back on.

Michael Thomas
07-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Another set of "quick-disconnect" stringers.

Jerry McCarthy
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
That's scary Michael! Then again I remember Darwin and it all makes sense. ;)