PDA

View Full Version : Roof sidewall intersection

David Banks
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Is this venting for bump out of room? Looks like venting material similar to ridge vent. It is lifting off roof with loose nails. Looks like they tried same thing on unheated three season porch also. Not needed there correct. They then covered with shingles. This has caused shingles to bend and crack.

Bruce Breedlove
09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Looks like improper use of a ridge vent to me. I would defer to a roofer.

Scott Patterson
09-27-2007, 02:41 PM
That is a ridge vent not a slope vent! Yep, I betting that the manufacturer has not thought about it being used for that. :D

Jim Robinson
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Coravent has a product for that application.

Cor-A-Vent : Roof-to-Wall Ventilation (http://www.roof-2-wall.com/)

I can't tell if that is what they used, but it doesn't look like it is to me. I don't know what's going on in the other pictures, but it doesn't look right.

Scott Patterson
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Coravent has a product for that application.

Cor-A-Vent : Roof-to-Wall Ventilation (http://www.roof-2-wall.com/)

I can't tell if that is what they used, but it doesn't look like it is to me. I don't know what's going on in the other pictures, but it doesn't look right.

I thought about the Coravent product, my house has it. But looking at that picture it looks like they have cut a ridge vent. With the Coravent Roof to Wall vent, you leave the front edge open just like a ridge vent. In the picture they have shingled over it. Regardless of what it is, it is wrong. What do others think??

Jerry Peck
09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Scott,

Looked like a ridge vent to me too.

David Banks
09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I thought about the Coravent product, my house has it. But looking at that picture it looks like they have cut a ridge vent. With the Coravent Roof to Wall vent, you leave the front edge open just like a ridge vent. In the picture they have shingled over it. Regardless of what it is, it is wrong. What do others think??

I agree Scott. They may have shingled over it because it is a non heated porch. But that begs the question why is it there in the first place.
Potential for future heated 4 season room? Na people do not think that far ahead.
The other pic with exposed vent should have a cap or shingles according to Coravent. Poor shape and loose and lifting off roof but no leaks inside. Go figure.
Thanks all for your input.

Mike Gault
09-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Looks like half a ridge vent at that... defer to a licensed roofer.

Jimmy Bacco
09-29-2007, 06:25 AM
[quote=Mike Gault;19913]Looks like half a ridge vent at that... [quote]

...well, it is only half a ridge! :p