PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question?

Rick Hurst
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
What one thing sets you apart from your competition?

Extra sprinkles on the doughnuts do not count.

rick

David Banks
09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I love what I do! Promise you my best effort. Boy that concrete work I use to do really sucked.

wayne soper
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I give them the best service there is. If they need to discuss something at 11 pm on a sunday night. I answer the phone, I talk. Not a secrtetary, not some salesman, ME. when you call me you get me 24/7 I will do whatever I can do to assist them in the purchase of their new home. It's personal to them so I keep it that way. They appreciate hand holding when required.
We see houses and defects every day. We look at it and say. Yeah it's just another BLAHBLAHBLAH. But they look at it like it's a BOMB about to go off and sometimes we forget that. So anyway. Thankyou madam, sign here, Thanks for the dough and GOOD LUC BOOOOOOOM

Jack Feldmann
09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm a fantastic cook!

Not to take anything away from Wayne, but if someone calls me at 11pm on Sunday, they are going to get the answering machine.

You know, I think all of us think we are doing EVERYTHING better than the next guy. I think there are very few that work hard at being buttholes, or do it on purpose.

I like to think that not only do I have the inspection skills necessary to do a great job inspecting, writing skills to convey my findings into a report that my client can read AND understand, but the personality to deliver it all in a way that my client not only remembers WHO inspected his house, but also WANTS to tell everyone they know what a great inspection they just had.

Since I get a lot of Sellers calling me to inspect the house THEY are buying, I've got a pretty good idea I'm doing OK.

JF

wayne soper
09-27-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree with you jack, Mabey I should spend more time cooking. No, as long as we are confident thgat we are doing the best for our clients what else is there. Aside from frying a little broker butt now and then.

Jerry Peck
09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm polite to the client and the homeowner. I'm amazed at the comments I hear about rude home inspectors.

How could they be talking about me way up there? :confused:

I was "polite", but if a seller started to go off, I tended to help them along, and agents too, and a few clients ...

I'm doing the best I can, you get in my way and it will either cost you a lot more (I worked by the hour) or I might just leave (only had to do that a couple of times).

My clients realized my worth, cannot ask for any more than that. Sellers made me lunch, cannot get any better than that! :D

JB Thompson
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I tind to rite wel. Got me n inglish deegree.

Seriously, that translates well when writing reports, sending emails, etc...

Bruce

PS I agree with all of the above. We should ALL be polite. It affects ALL home inspectors when someone is rude.

John Ghent
09-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Really interesting up to this point. No one said they were a "Great inspector".
What set me apart when I was working was that I was Very professional, Very Profitable, and Very Good.

I also cook and make wine.

Deleted Account
09-28-2007, 02:44 PM
My experience path prior to becoming a home inspector sort of set the stage and allowed me to hit the ground running. I was lucky enough to have been involved with installing, selling & managing construction services for over twenty years, add to that I was a self taught computer geek who was very comfortable with the the computer tech side of business.

When you get right down to it though, once you have all the tech mastered, the thing sets inspectors apart from one another is their ability to perform the part of an inspector. it's almost as if it were a theatrical role and each inspection is akin to a performance.

Screw polite... the ability to attract and entertain an audience is the fulcrum that allows you to leverage what you are and what you know into something much bigger, and that my friends translates directly into success & prosperity.

Rick Hurst
09-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Everyone thinks their a great inspector. Talk to HI's at a seminar or gathering and you'll learn that. ;)

As far as this thread, I'm more interested in the things like advertisments, handouts, uniforms, business promotions, vehicle signage, and such.

rick

Matt Fellman
09-28-2007, 04:06 PM
My experience path prior to becoming a home inspector sort of set the stage and allowed me to hit the ground running. I was lucky enough to have been involved with installing, selling & managing construction services for over twenty years, add to that I was a self taught computer geek who was very comfortable with the the computer tech side of business.

When you get right down to it though, once you have all the tech mastered, the thing sets inspectors apart from one another is their ability to perform the part of an inspector. it's almost as if it were a theatrical role and each inspection is akin to a performance.

Screw polite... the ability to attract and entertain an audience is the fulcrum that allows you to leverage what you are and what you know into something much bigger, and that my friends translates directly into success & prosperity.

Agreed.... I've seen technically horrible inspectors build up a following of clients that would make most of jealous.... and I've seen technically great inspectors struggle to stay busy. Of course the former got sued all of the time and the latter never did.... but the point is your technical skill doesn't have as much to do with staying busy as a lot of us think.

As for the question I think all of the handouts, fliers, etc. will only be so effective... of course I do some of it but I think it usually falls on deaf ears. I've had numerous agents tell me how sick they are of some new guy showing up with coffee and dohnuts at their open house.

Making friends one inspection at a time of the best course of action... As mentioned, doing a good job and really caring.

If I had to pick one thing that I try to hang my hat on it would be my report... no matrix, minimal check boxes, minimal disclaimers and boiler plate stuff.... just pictures and comments (written from scratch each time). I really try to put out a report in plain english.... I laugh at some of the forms being used out there. They might as well be in Latin... codes for this and that, tiny boxes everywhere, colors, arrows, long paragraphs of text that has nothing to do with that specific house...

Jon Randolph
09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
I remove my shoes in the garage or at the front porch and wear house slippers inside the home. I tell the client and realtor that it is to preserve the carpet, etc. It makes an impression on those who witness it and I have actually had clients and realtors removing their shoes to try to mimick my exaample. It actually helps me feel the even slightest transitiion, sag, etc. in the flooring.

I try to explain items in terms that my daughter would understand. Too many inspectors (probably in an attempt to sound smart) over explain issues using technical terms. I will tell the client that the outlet has reversed polarity and identify it as a safety hazard that needs to be corrected, but then explain to them that it (or somewhere along the circuit) is simply wired backward and that the back of the outlet usually tells you what side the whit wire should be attached to. I tell them that due to liability issues, I have to refer it to a licensed electrician for repair, but that it normally takes about 3 minutes/outlet.

Russel Ray
10-02-2007, 01:52 AM
My competition sets me apart from my competition:

Me: 24/7 (even did an inspection at 0500 and one at 2200)
Them: 9 to 4

Me: Have tools, will travel
Them: "I only cover a 15-mile radius from [insert name of city]"

Etc.

William Brady
10-02-2007, 04:27 AM
Clean truck, good signs clean shave etc forget the inspection. If I pull up and look good thats the trick:D .
One thing I found works for me is the organization I joined. In my area we have business networking groups. My group has about 70 members in it and there is only one HI. Only one banker, only one Realitor ect. Manditory attendance at meetings means a good turn out at the meetings. Referrals are good from our RE attorney, home improvement guy, HVAC/ Plumbing guy, local news paper person and down the line. I meet these people once a week and get to know them up front and personel. From this group you meet other's ie: incomming speakers from charities, not for profits, politicians they all want to speak at these meetings. If the membership base is high end all the better. Great experience getting to know the different types and what it is that turns them on.

Bill B

Bruce Breedlove
10-02-2007, 04:42 AM
That sounds like BNI. I looked into it and decided it was not for me. Meeting EVERY week is way too much. Going to a meeting kills your morning so you lose half a day. That's 26 days a year - almost one month! I think meeting once a month would be plenty. You are allowed to miss only 6 meetings a year or you get kicked out. No thanks.

William Brady
10-02-2007, 05:35 AM
You may be right but my group meets at 7 am on Wednesday morning and we are done by 8:30. I think that for the seasoned inspector it might be a lot but or those that want to get beyond the HI network meet others of influence in their community get involved in some social things and volunteer for other organization all the while getting good referrals from friends your have met not necessarily real estate people well thats the point. The question was what else do we do in addition to the standard stuff. Everyone talked about the coffee thing and going to the RE office and I just wanted to add another dimension to things. I would suspect some others are doing this already.

I know this for sure that the people who are taking about me to the friends and clients know my first hand and can add the personal touch to their referral. I do the same for them whenever I can. I buy for them ie office supplies, printing, signage, legal advice, dentist, doctor, on and on for some 70 different business. I may not have the need for some of the members work product but that does not mean I can't mention them to someone that does.

Bill B

Jerry Peck
10-02-2007, 05:45 AM
When I first started, I joined a networking group (but that was a long time ago and maybe they have improved by now), the main problem I had was that most of the members were new to their business and joined for the same reason I did.

Once I realized that, how could I recommend them, and how could they recommend me, just based on the fact that we were in the same networking group? I could not do that, I only recommended people I knew were good, and there were not many of them.

So I stopped going.

William Brady
10-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Sorry Bruce on more thing. The meeting attendance requirement (without posting the entire by-laws) is you can miss 3 meeting a quarter but their are make up meetings you can attend. Board meeting, social gatherings etc. One thing about having to make the meetings. It's always full. If left to everyone whether they felt to tried or just some other thing you can believe that it would not be as good attendance. I think you would have to experience that group dynamic to understand this point. In the beginning I to though it was a lot but now I look forward to see the people once a week. This system works all over the country and it works well for those who work it. I guess it like hearing a drunk say he or she doesn't want to go to meeting. But like everything else it's not for everyone.

Bill B

William Brady
10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
well in my group most of the members have been in business a long time. You do not have to recommend anyone its not the law. These people because they have been around a long time have good reputations good businesses and for a new member what is better then associating yourself with good business people. You just may learn a few things from them. I found you need to stick around awhile not the hit and run thing and things begin to change. You get known, people like you, they learn they can depend on you. I would just say that I have not heard anything said hear except maybe something negative and dismissive. It's not for everyone and like all groups you need to have a personalty thats fit with a social gathering. One more thing they from time to time ask you to speak about yourself and your business. And I can tell you that I have been invited to Chamber and Rotary meeting to do the same by members who also belong to those organizations. I did get work as a result. The important thing over all is getting known.

Bill B

Mike Schulz
10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I have been offered a few times to join these networks. After they told me it was from 8:00 to 10:00 once every week I said forget about it!
Then they want you to tell something to the group about your buisness once a month besides bringing someone in.

To much of a cult for me>

Lanny Freng
10-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I am a member of one of those dreaded weekly meeting network groups. yeah you have to be dedicated but for $10,000-$15,000 in business each year from those referrals it is definetly worth it. You get what you put in with em, show up for two meetings and decide it is not for you I can see why nothing would come of it. Meet with them weekly and in time these business associates turn into friends and you end up doing inspections for their families and whoever else they may know. It is by far the most lucrative advertising I have ever done.

William Brady
10-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks Lanny for your words of wisdom. Advertisement I have spent lots of money on it as have most business people and your are right it is the best return on investment I have ever made. I just moved from NY down to New Mexico and one of the things I will miss is that group. However I will be looking around for a similar type situation here. I don't think people will be knocking down my door here for a while but I will be cultivating the fields in the mean time.

Bill B.

Richard Rushing
10-11-2007, 09:07 PM

rick

I gotta pig becker;) ...and I know how to use it.:D

Aaron Miller
10-12-2007, 03:02 AM

rick

Rick:

WHAT competition?

Aaron:eek: