PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum wiring and non rated outlets

Jack Feldmann
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Inspected a house yesterday that had mostly aluminum wiring. Lots of renovations using copper Romex without proper connections. Also lots of improper outlets on the old wiring.

Joe Funderburk
02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Is there a question?

Jack Feldmann
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
No question Joe, it was just an observation shared.

Vern Heiler
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
No question Joe, it was just an observation shared.

And an easy one to miss. Good catch!

BridgeMan
02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
So Jack, what did you state in your report regarding the aluminum wiring? Give it the standard "have proper evaluation and follow with remediation by a qualified electrician" phrase? Or tell them to run, because the place could burn down?

I've bought and sold 2 houses with aluminum wiring. Never a problem, once I rewired all of the switches/outlets/light fixtures with copper pigtails and appropriate "goo" in the connections.

John Kogel
02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
So Jack, what did you state in your report regarding the aluminum wiring? Give it the standard "have proper evaluation and follow with remediation by a qualified electrician" phrase? Or tell them to run, because the place could burn down?

I've bought and sold 2 houses with aluminum wiring. Never a problem, once I rewired all of the switches/outlets/light fixtures with copper pigtails and appropriate "goo" in the connections.
I don't think Jack tells anyone to run anywhere. I advise having the connections to receptacle and fixtures checked every 10 years.

I also check a few receptacles especially where I see shiny new ones have been installed. In the end, tho, they will go with whatever the electrician says.

Jack Feldmann
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Bridgeman - why would you assume I would tell someone to run?
The fact the you have had two houses without issues with aluminum wiring has little or nothing to do with the house I inspected here in Knoxville.

If you really must know what I wrote in my report, I had the following items noted as well as a bunch of other things.
First and foremost, I am required by ASHI SOP and State of TN SOP to report on the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring, and I did so.
2. I reported that there were many improper connections between aluminum and copper wires.
3. I reported on the improper use of "copper only" outlets with aluminum wiring.
4. I also reported on various electrical issues that will likely take a qualified electrician a couple days to correct.

I follow a Code of Ethics, both ASHI and the State of Tennessee. ASHI COE 2.B states: "Inspectors shall be objective in their reporting and not knowingly understate or overstate the significance of reported conditions."