PDA

View Full Version : So you think your chimney leans.

Garry Sorrells
02-28-2013, 08:14 AM
The Leaning Tower of Pizza, Italy has a 3.9 deg list and has survived for hundreds of years.
What do you think the life of this chimney has instore for it?

Gunnar Alquist
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Are you sure the chimney is leaning? Maybe it's the house. :o

John Kogel
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I think Italian engineers have been all over the Tower of Pisa, and it has been reinforced somehow, Google it, somebody.

That chimney has also been blessed from above for many years, but when the inner corner of the top approaches the line of the outer corner at the base, gravity will win the struggle. I would pull it down without any hesitation.

Bob Burke
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
The Leaning Tower of Pizza, Italy has a 3.9 deg list and has survived for hundreds of years.
What do you think the life of this chimney has instore for it?

Are you sure that's a chimney? Could be a lean-to facing the wrong way...

Lon Henderson
03-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Turn your head to the side and there is no problem at all.....;)

But on a slightly more serious note, the Tower of Pisa would be the crumbled horizontal tunnel of Pisa if it wasn't being stabilized.

Dennis Webber
03-05-2013, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about it ..... the power line will keep it from falling over.;)

Michael Chambers
03-11-2013, 11:29 PM
The Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilized, and even straighten up by a couple of degrees, by a combination of putting 800 tons of lead in the high side of the base, and also removing some soil from under the high side.

Nick Ostrowski
03-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Maybe you're holding your camera at an angle or you're standing on uneven ground. ;)