PDA

View Full Version : A crack across the block...

CHRIS KRUSE
03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Today I inspected a 2006 house here in Florida.
I saw one thick crack from the tie beam down through the foundation..... it made me look a little closer...
As more cracks appeared ..I got a little more concerned...then I walked in the house and saw that most of the tiled floor had been repaired..and ceilings...I lifted the carpets and saw several MORE cracks with mud piled up in trails... as if ants or termites were hanging out.
ANYWAY... THE PUNCH LINE IS THAT "ONE LARGE CRACK cut through the foundation...back to front...went down the driveway..cracked the STREET.. and really cracked up the the other guys driveway up to the garage door...
SO.. I took a ride around the block to the house directly behind my "home inspection".and that same CRACK zig zagged through that person's house and down their driveway...No other houses seemed to be affected..yet...
other than that...it appeared serviceable.. haha .(.just kidding.)....
That's pretty nutty though...never saw that before..

Jim Luttrall
03-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Are you close to the house that was lost to the sink hole?:eek:

John Kogel
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I've only seen that once years ago, a crack that went down through the foundation, through the driveway and down the bank beside the house. It was an older home. I also had the impression the ground was going to crack open and swallow us. But that house is still standing and AFAIK, no change so far to the crack.

I would call it an unpredictable crack in the earth. A geo-tech would be more likely to give an accurate assessment than a normal structural engineer. Geo-technical engineer.

CHRIS KRUSE
03-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Ma'am, lets step outside to go over the report...this Radon is making me dizzy..:p

Lon Henderson
03-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Hurricanes, tornadoes, pythons in the swamps, alligators in the streets, and now earthquakes.........why do folks live in Florida?:p

Larry Morrison
03-04-2013, 07:40 AM
So? Did you right up a Report on the house or an Obituary?

Robert Dalga
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Chris,
This looks very scary. Do you have any pics to share?

gary carroll
03-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Hurricanes, tornadoes, pythons in the swamps, alligators in the streets, and now earthquakes.........why do folks live in Florida?:p

Hey, I've lived in FL for three years now, and only seen five snakes. Of course, one of them was eating an alligator, so maybe I should count him more than once...

CHRIS KRUSE
03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
You guy's are a riot!
I do have pictures..but they will seem insignificant since it's only a 1/8 in. crack...but it is affecting any pavement that crosses it for about 700 feet. .. it stops at the lawns...of course, then starts up again where the other 2 houses are......I will post them soon...
I AM STILL LAUGHING AT THE FUNNY REPLIES ...HAHA

CHRIS KRUSE
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Actually its the other guy's driveway that really took a beating..I dont have those pictures, but I WILL get them..Those houses have been there longer.

Rich Goeken
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM
The yard????
BTW, there are no fault lines in Florida.