PDA

View Full Version : Mildew odour in bathroom

Doug Campone
03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Inspected a condo yesterday and found a "mildew" odour in one bathroom, when I turned on the shower. Didn't find the same issue in the ensuite. Didn't notice the odour anywhere else and didn't notice the odour until I turned on the shower.

Moisture meter did not indicate a moisture problems anywhere.

I reported the odour in the report and pointed it out to the client. She will be calling a plumber for some other issues and sugested that she have him investigate this at the same time.

I'm interested in hearing any feedback about this since I have noticed a similar issue in one on my bathrooms, in my townhouse.

Thanks,
Doug

John Kogel
03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Grungy shower, vacant apartment, don't give it too much thought. Probably there is stuff growing in the plumbing fixtures that just needs a good flushing. There is also dirt and dead skin in the crevices and under the silicone caulking. Nice.

Jeff Langhorn
03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Just a thought here Doug,
When you turned on the shower the spray will create some air currents
they may churn up some low lying odors in the shower/bathroom.
Jeff

Raymond Wand
03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
A Plastic shower curtain can harbour mildew/mold, as can dirty towels and bath mats that are not hung up properly so they can dry out.

Doug Campone
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all your comments.
They may apply to the condo, but not to my townhouse.
The grout and caulking look good, the shower curtain is two months old.
I suspect that some water may have gotten into the wall behind the tiled wall and has since dried-out.
Guess I won't know for sure 'till I gut the bathroom - that may happen later this Spring.

Thanks anyway.
Doug

Jeff Zehnder
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
One other thought to add to the list, I have seen strange algae growth on shower heads and inside the shower head aerator that can have a strange odor.

Rolland Pruner
03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
could be hot water heater odor?? although it usually can cause a rotton egg odor from sac, rod??

Poor water quality?? test and see!!

Ken Santell
03-09-2013, 10:41 PM
if there is a floor drain, try pouring a gallon of water in. Gasses can back up when the water level is too low.